Ladrillo estampado de Borsippa

Ladrillo estampado de Borsippa


Borsippa, Mesopotamia, julio de 2013. Parte I

Borsippa fue una importante ciudad antigua de Sumer, construida a ambos lados de un lago a unos 17,7 km (11,0 millas) al suroeste de Babilonia en la orilla este del Éufrates. El sitio de Borsippa está en la provincia de Babilonia, Irak y ahora se llama Birs Nimrud, los árabes identificaron el sitio con Nimrod. El zigurat, la & # 8220Tongue Tower & # 8221, hoy uno de los zigurats supervivientes más vívidamente identificables, se identifica en la cultura árabe y talmúdica posterior con la Torre de Babel, aunque los constructores sumerio-acadios del Zigurat en realidad lo erigieron como un edificio religioso en honor al dios local Nabu, llamado & # 8220son & # 8221 de Babilonia & # 8217s Marduk, como sería apropiado para la ciudad hermana menor de Babilonia.

بورسيبا (بالسومرية تسمى باد-سي-ا-اب-با وباكدية تسمى برسيب أو تل برسيب) وتسمى حاليا ببرس نمرود, هي مدينة سومرية مهمة قديمة, تم بنائها على جانبي بحيرة تبعد حوالي 17 كلم جنوب مدينة بابل, موقع بورسيبا هو في محافظة بابل (محافظة) في العراق ، وكانت تحتوي مدينة بورسيبا على زقورة وهي موجودة لحد اليوم وحسب التلمود جليوم وحسب التلمود جيورة باري ويعتقد بأن هذه الزقورة كانت من اجل عبادة الالهة نبو اله التجارة عند البابليون الذي ابن الاله مردوخ. حسب التأريخ يعتقد بأن مدينة بورسيبا يعود انشائها إلى عصر سلالة أور الثالثة وفي العصر البابلي كانت مركز القوة لبابل وفي القرن التاسع قبل الميلاد كانت بورسيبا بدأ الكلدان يستقرون فيها. لكن تم تدميرها هي ومعبدها خلال عهد الملك الاخميني احشويروش. كشفت الحفريات في عام 1854 بقيادة عالم الاثار هينري كريسويك راولنسون واكتشف راولنسون عن معبد لعبادة الاله نبو يعود بنائه إلى عصر الملك الكلداني نبوخذ نصر الثاني, والذي اكتشف بين عامي 1879 و 1881 بقيادة عالم الاثار هرمزد رسام مع فرقة بحث بريطانية.


Archivo: Ladrillo de barro estampado del zigurat y el templo de Nabu, Borsippa, Iraq.jpg

Haga clic en una fecha / hora para ver el archivo tal como apareció en ese momento.

Fecha y horaMiniaturaDimensionesUsuarioComentario
Actual09:30, 7 de septiembre de 20182.048 × 1.362 (801 KB) Neuroforever (charla | contribuciones) Página creada por el usuario con UploadWizard

No puede sobrescribir este archivo.


"Old Bricks: la historia a tus pies"

The Sudbury Brick Co. se enumeran en Kellys 1912, ediciones 16 y 25 en Waldfield Road, oficina de Sudbury, Acton Square, Sudbury. Información y fotografía de Martyn Fretwell, cortesía de la Colección Bill Richardson en Southwick Hall.

Summer Lane, Barnsley

Summer Lane Brickworks, Barnsley Ltd., Summer Lane, Barnsley, South Yorks. El negocio se cerró en 1913. Fotografía e información de Frank Lawson.

Summeseat

Summeseat cerca de Bury, foto de Colin Driver.

Cumbre

Fotos cortesía de la colección de Frank Lawson. Las obras de Summit se realizaron cerca de Littleborough en Lancashire.

Fotos por cortesía de Colin Driver.

Sumner Jnr, Crawley

Esto se hizo en Ifield Brickworks en 1880, la imagen está en blanco y negro, gracias a Richard Symonds.

Fotografiado en el Museo Beamish.

Puesta de sol

Fotografiado en el Museo Beamish. Sunset Brick & amp Tile Co., Cowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne. Fundada en 1921 por W Cochrane-Carr. La lutita se extraía de una cantera cercana utilizando explosivos hasta 1953, cuando se introdujeron una excavadora mecánica y una línea de arrastre. Para 1967, la cantera vecina estaba agotada de esquisto y, sin un suministro económico cercano, las obras cerraron. Información y fotos por cortesía de Frank Lawson.

Superaxe: ver Burn Fireclay Company

Sussex Brick Co. (Sussex Hand Made)

Fotos de Martyn Fretwell. Sussex Hand Made Brick Company en Hastings, ha producido ladrillos hechos a mano desde 1896 y todavía usa la arcilla Wadhurst que se encuentra en la parte trasera de sus obras.

Sussex Brick & amp Estates Co Ltd

Foto de Darren vía John Harrison.

Richard Symonds se encontró con esto cerca de Southwater en West Sussex y ha investigado un poco la historia.

Peter Peters, de la empresa Horsham Builders, responsable del desarrollo inicial de Keymer Brick & amp Tile Co, se vendió en 1899 y el nuevo propietario, un constructor de Londres, formó una empresa, The Sussex Brick Co.Ltd (no confundir con la firma Hastings del mismo nombre). e instaló una nueva planta y edificios, con la intención de aprovechar las medidas inferiores de Weald Clay para hacer ladrillos prensados ​​utilizando el proceso de 'plástico rígido'. Se construyeron dos nuevos hornos continuos de carbón del tipo Hoffmann, el carbón se traía por ferrocarril desde Nottingham. Detrás de los hornos había una línea de prensas, alimentadas con arcilla de una línea paralela de molinos. La arcilla, en esta etapa, todavía se cavaba manualmente y se entregaba a las trituradoras en carros, impulsada por una cadena de transmisión continua por encima de la cabeza. Sin embargo, la empresa pronto tuvo problemas. Los problemas iniciales, que llevaron a una producción desigual y costos crecientes, se vieron agravados por la recesión en la industria, y en 1903 se nombró un nuevo gerente, se inyectó capital fresco y se formó Sussex Brick & amp Estates Co Ltd.

La nueva empresa puso en funcionamiento un tercer horno continuo y aumentó la producción de ladrillos prensados ​​a 12 millones anuales. Además, los dos astilleros estacionales que todavía estaban en funcionamiento producían 8 millones de ladrillos al año, utilizando los seis pies superiores de arcilla que no eran aptos para la producción de ladrillos prensados. Todo esto iba en contra de la tendencia general en el condado, que era de declive, y puede haber sido atribuible, en parte, a la técnica superior de marketing de la compañía, así como a un uso imaginativo de las relaciones públicas para publicitar sus productos. En 1912, se puso en funcionamiento una excavadora de vapor en el solar de Warnham y fue motivo de celebraciones, que se informó en el Sussex Daily News el 8 de febrero: '. una industria líder en Sussex es la de la fabricación de ladrillos, ya que, a gran y pequeña escala, se encuentra donde quiera que se quiera viajar. En Warnham, los métodos modernos se pueden ver en pleno funcionamiento. Allí, Sussex Brick and Estates Company Ltd., que también tiene otro trabajo en Southwater, muestra lo último en fabricación de ladrillos, por velocidad de producción, combinada, por supuesto, con calidad. '.

Los datos anteriores fueron extraídos de la publicación 'Brickmaking in Sussex' ISBN 1 873 793 197 (1993), de M. Beswick.

Thomas Sutcliffe

Thomas Sutcliffe, Wrose Brow, Windhill, Shipley, West Yorks - Post Office Bradford Trades Directory, 1887 y White's Directory of Leeds & amp The Clothing District, 1894. Los trabajos continuaron bajo la dirección de Sutcliffe hasta al menos 1912. Información e imagen de Frank Lawson.

William Sutcliffe

William Sutcliffe operaba Armley Brick Works, Stanningley Road, Armley, Leeds y Woodhouse Hill Brickworks. Listado entre 1875 y 1912. Información de PRBCO e imagen de Frank Lawson.

Sutton, Overseal

Swadlincote

No se sabe de qué fábrica de ladrillos en el área de Swadlincote proviene este ladrillo. Foto de Martyn Fretwell.

Zagal

William Swain, Howarth Cross, Halifax Road, Smallbridge, Rochdale. Foto de David Kitching.

Tragar

Gracias a Simon Patterson por la foto.

Foto cortesía de la colección de Frank Lawson.

Swalllownest Brick Co estaba situado en Swallownest al este
de Sheffield. Información de David Kitching.

Este ladrillo visto en North Lincolnshire y probablemente sea de una obra en Yorkshire o Lincolnshire. Foto de Frank Lawson.

Swanage

Según un artículo de la British Brick Society, Swanage Brick & amp Tile Co. en Godlingston encendió por primera vez su nuevo horno de corriente descendente rectangular en junio de 1983, reemplazando un horno de corriente descendente anterior construido en 1935. Hoy en día, Ibstock todavía opera esta obra al norte de Swanage haciendo ladrillos hechos a mano a medida. También se encontró que esta fábrica de ladrillos está registrada como Godlingston Brick & amp Tile Works en un 1900 O.S. mapa. Información y amplificador Fotografiado en Bursledon Brick Museum por Martyn Fretwell.

Bancos de cisnes, Halifax

En 1864 se formó la Swan Banks Coal and Brick Company en Halifax, West Yorkshire. En 1873, la compañía hizo un acuerdo para tomar 24 acres de carbón de lecho duro y de lecho blando bajo Marsh Farm, pero en 1875 la mina había cerrado. La Compañía de Ladrillos y Carbón Swans Bank continuó fabricando ladrillos en Bailey Hall Road, donde extraían esquisto. La familia Rawson era propietaria de la mina de carbón de la década de 1820 y desarrolló el sitio entre el canal de Halifax y el área de las tierras altas de los pantanos de Southowram. Halifax Brick Co fue una asociación formada por: Morton's of Siddal, Swan Bank, Oates & amp Green y Charlestown Bricks a finales del siglo XIX. Foto e información de Derek Barker.

Encontrado por Roger Grimshaw en Hebden Bridge.

Swan Brothers y amp Bourne

Swan Brothers & amp Bourne, West Cliffe Brickworks, Burton Road, Lincoln se enumeran en estas ediciones comerciales, Kelly's 1876, White's 1882, Kelly's 1885 & amp 1889. Esta obra se fusionó en Lincoln Brick Co. en 1889. Fotografía e información de Martyn Fretwell.

Swann

Encontrado en Riccall, North Yorks por Ian Prest.

Swann Radcliffe & amp Co.

Swann Radcliffe & amp Co. cotizan en Brassington, Wirksworth Derbys. en la sección Fabricantes de ladrillos refractarios de estos directorios de Kelly, ediciones de 1912, 25, 32 y 41. Un sitio web de Brassington registra que en 1962 la empresa empleaba a 16 hombres y cerró en 1971. Fotografía e información de Martyn Fretwell. Foto cortesía de Newark & ​​amp Sherwood Museum Services.

Swanton Novers

Encontrados en Swanton Novers, Norfolk, se cree que estos ladrillos estampados EHEL & amp HEL se fabricaron en Swanton Novers Brickyard cerca de Melton Constable. Esta fábrica de ladrillos fue propiedad de Lord Hastings de Melton Constable Hall y se muestra en los mapas del sistema operativo desde 1885 hasta 1950. Información y fotos de Martyn Fretwell.

Sweeney, Oswestry

Este ladrillo con imagen especular se encontró en Brynteg, cerca de Wrexham. Imagen PRBCO.

Foto de Richard Paterson

Los tres descubiertos en Oswestry, el sitio de Weston Wharf de la Cambrian Railway Society, por Mike Shaw. Aquí era donde el tranvía de la fábrica de ladrillos de Sweeney llegaba a la línea principal.

J F Swinburne and Sons, Birtley & Tanfield Brick Works

Un anuncio en el Newcastle Courant, el viernes 27 de enero de 1888, decía que la empresa se estableció en 1852 y podía suministrar tuberías de drenaje agrícolas, ladrillos y tejas. Foto e información de Mark Cranston.

Swindell & amp Collis, Birmingham

Swindell & amp Collis están registrados como maestros del carbón, fabricantes de ladrillos y tejas en Granville & amp Gorsty Hill Collieries, Old Hill, Cradley Heath en Jones's Mercantile Directory para 1865. Se registran nuevamente en la edición de Kelly de 1891 en Granville Colliery. Información y fotografía fotografiada en Cawarden Reclamation por Martyn Fretwell.

Swindon

Swindon Brick & amp Tile Co. aparece por primera vez en las ediciones Kellys de 1889 a 1898 en Canal Side Brickworks, New Swindon. Las ediciones de Kellys de 1903 a 1911 ahora incluyen a la compañía con una segunda obra en Rolleston Yard, Gorse Hill y George Whitehead figura como propietario. Foto de Guy Morgan, información de Martyn Fretwell.

Robert Swinton

Robert Swinton figura en las ediciones de Kelly de 1876 a 1896 en Tattershall, Boston Lincs. Robert murió en diciembre de 1899 y dejó sus bienes personales a sus dos hijos, Edward y Christopher. Foto e información de Martyn Fretwell.

Sykes


Este ladrillo se encontró en Sledmere, North Yorkshire y es probable que se haya fabricado en la fábrica de ladrillos de Bishop Wilton, a unas pocas millas al suroeste. La familia Sykes de Sledmere era propietaria del campo de ladrillos y probablemente empleó a Thomas Grant de Pocklington para administrar las obras a lo largo de su vida desde 1854 hasta 1886. Foto e información de Carla van Beveren.


Archivo: Ladrillo de barro estampado del zigurat y el templo de Nabu en Borsippa, Iraq, siglo VI a.C.jpg

Haga clic en una fecha / hora para ver el archivo tal como apareció en ese momento.

Fecha y horaMiniaturaDimensionesUsuarioComentario
Actual09:31, 7 de septiembre de 20182.048 × 1.362 (1.006 KB) Neuroforever (charla | contribuciones) Página creada por el usuario con UploadWizard

No puede sobrescribir este archivo.


La historia de los ladrillos y la fabricación de ladrillos

El hombre ha utilizado ladrillos para la construcción durante miles de años. Los ladrillos se remontan al año 7000 a. C., lo que los convierte en uno de los materiales de construcción más antiguos que se conocen. Fueron descubiertos en el sur de Turquía en el sitio de un antiguo asentamiento alrededor de la ciudad de Jericó.

Los primeros ladrillos, fabricados en áreas con climas cálidos, fueron ladrillos de barro secados al sol para su endurecimiento.
Los ladrillos del antiguo Egipto estaban hechos de arcilla mezclada con paja. La evidencia de esto se puede ver hoy en las ruinas de Harappa Buhen y Mohenjo-daro. Las pinturas en las paredes de la tumba de Tebas representan a esclavos egipcios mezclando, templando y cargando arcilla para los ladrillos secados al sol.

El mayor avance se produjo con la invención del ladrillo cocido en aproximadamente el 3500 a. C. A partir de este momento, los ladrillos se pudieron fabricar sin el calor del sol y pronto se hicieron populares en climas más fríos.

Los romanos preferían hacer sus ladrillos en primavera, luego los almacenaban durante dos años antes de venderlos o usarlos. Solo usaban arcilla blanca o roja para fabricar ladrillos.
Los romanos consiguieron introducir el ladrillo cocido en todo el país gracias a los hornos móviles. Estos eran ladrillos estampados con la marca de la legión que supervisaba la producción de ladrillos. Los ladrillos romanos diferían en tamaño y forma de otros ladrillos antiguos, ya que eran más comúnmente redondos, cuadrados, oblongos, triangulares y rectangulares. Los ladrillos cocidos al horno medían 1 o 2 pies romanos por 1 pie romano, y a veces hasta 3 pies romanos con los más grandes. Los romanos utilizaron ladrillo para edificios públicos y privados en todo el imperio romano. Construyeron murallas, fortalezas, centro cultural, bóvedas, arcos y paramentos de sus acueductos. La puerta de Herculano de Pompeya y los baños de Caracalla en Roma son ejemplos de estructuras de ladrillo romanas.

Durante el período del Imperio Romano, los romanos difundieron el arte de la fabricación de ladrillos por toda Europa y continuó dominando durante el período medieval y renacentista.

Cuando cayó el Imperio Romano, el arte de la fabricación de ladrillos casi desapareció y continuó solo en Italia y el Imperio Bizantino. En el siglo XI, la fabricación de ladrillos se extendió desde estas regiones a Francia.

Durante el siglo XII, los ladrillos se reintrodujeron en el norte de Alemania desde el norte de Italia. Esto creó el período gótico de ladrillos con edificios construidos principalmente con ladrillos de arcilla roja cocidos. Los ejemplos de edificios de estilo gótico de ladrillo se pueden encontrar en los países bálticos como Suecia, Dinamarca, Polonia, Alemania, Finlandia, Lituania, Letonia, Estonia, Bielorrusia y Rusia. Este período carece de esculturas arquitectónicas figurativas que anteriormente habían sido talladas en piedra. Las figuras góticas eran virtualmente imposibles de crear con ladrillos en ese momento, pero podían identificarse por el uso de hileras divididas de ladrillos en diferentes colores, ladrillos rojos, ladrillos vidriados y yeso de cal blanca. Finalmente, se introdujeron ladrillos hechos a medida y con formas que podían imitar las esculturas arquitectónicas. En el siglo XVI, el gótico de ladrillo fue reemplazado por la arquitectura renacentista de ladrillo.

En la época medieval, la arcilla para fabricar ladrillos solía ser amasada por los trabajadores descalzos. A la arcilla se le dio forma de ladrillo empujándolo hacia un marco de madera colocado sobre una mesa, que se cubrió con arena o paja para evitar que la arcilla se pegara. Después de limpiar el exceso de arcilla con un palo, se quitó el ladrillo del marco.

En Inglaterra, los restos de edificios demuestran que el arte de la fabricación de ladrillos estaba muy avanzado en la época de Enrique VIII. Después del gran incendio de Londres en 1666, la ciudad fue reconstruida principalmente con ladrillos.

El ladrillo de adobe, que es un ladrillo secado al sol hecho de arcilla y paja, se ha fabricado durante siglos en América Central, particularmente en México. Todavía existen algunas estructuras aztecas de adobe, un ejemplo es la Pirámide del Sol, construida en el siglo XV.

Los ladrillos cruzaron el Atlántico con inmigrantes holandeses y británicos con algunos albañiles entre ellos. En Virginia, las estructuras de ladrillos se construyeron ya en 1611. En ese momento, era común que los albañiles fabricaran los ladrillos en el lugar de trabajo. Se sabe que los ladrillos fueron transportados desde Virginia a las Bermudas en 1621 a cambio de alimentos y aceite.

Muchos de los primeros rascacielos estadounidenses están revestidos de ladrillo o terracota. Se necesitaron 10 millones de ladrillos para construir el Empire State Building.

Durante los períodos renacentista y barroco, las paredes de ladrillo visto se hicieron cada vez menos populares, por lo que el ladrillo se cubrió con yeso. Solo a mediados del siglo XVIII las paredes de ladrillo comenzaron a recuperar su popularidad.

Los ladrillos se fabricaron a mano hasta aproximadamente 1885. Una vez que estalló la Revolución Industrial, se introdujo la maquinaria de fabricación de ladrillos. En consecuencia, se incrementó considerablemente el número de arcillas que se podían convertir en ladrillo, lo que influyó en la capacidad de producción. La producción de ladrillos hechos a mano osciló hasta 36.000 ladrillos por semana, pero en 1925 una máquina de fabricación de ladrillos fabricaba 12.000 ladrillos al día.

Como las estructuras de ladrillo se podían construir de forma mucho más rápida y económica, sustituyeron a otras materias primas como la piedra o la roca.

Durante el auge de la construcción del siglo XIX, cuando se producían más de 10 mil millones de ladrillos al año, muchas ciudades estadounidenses como Boston y Nueva York favorecieron los ladrillos fabricados localmente.

En el Londres victoriano, debido a la densa niebla, se eligieron ladrillos rojos brillantes que hicieron que los edificios fueran mucho más visibles. Aunque la cantidad de pigmento rojo se redujo en la producción de ladrillos, el rojo siguió siendo el color más deseado para el ladrillo y lo sigue siendo hasta el día de hoy.

Fue utilizado por algunos de los arquitectos más famosos del siglo XX, como Le Corbusier, F. L. Wright y Louis Khan.
Hoy en día, además de la madera, los ladrillos parecen ser un material de construcción de uso común. En consecuencia, la arquitectura de ladrillo y terracota es dominante en su campo con un gran desarrollo en la industria del ladrillo.


Ladrillo estampado de Borsippa - Historia

Coalbrookdale, Lightmoor. Foto tomada en Blists Hill.

Foto de Martyn Fretwell cortesía de la Colección Bill Richardson en Southwick Hall.

Yacimiento de carbón

De Mexborough, South Yorkshire. Foto de Simon Patterson.

Foto cortesía de la colección de Frank Lawson.

Coalfield Brickyards Ltd., Clayfield Road, Mexborough, South Yorks. Liquidado en 1971. La fábrica de ladrillos 'Coalfield' de Yorkshire Brick Company en Mexborough dejó de funcionar a fines de 1982. Fue el último horno de ladrillos prensados ​​en South Yorkshire en operar.

Coalmoor

Todo lo anterior se utilizó para construir una casa en Yuen Long, New Territories, Hong Kong. Es probable que el ladrillo H A sea también un producto de Coalmoor. Fotos de Jade Ling.

Coalmoor está cerca de Telford en Shropshire.

La allenita era un ladrillo refractario resistente que se utilizaba para revestir hornos, etc.

Foto de Colin Wooldridge de la colección John Cooksey

Hecho en Coalmoor, Telford en el mismo sitio que los ladrillos Allenite.

Coalmoor Sanitary Pipe Co.Ltd se formó en 1901 y en 1908 se convirtió en New Coalmoor Sanitary Pipe Co.Ltd., Fabricando tuberías y ladrillos refractarios en sus instalaciones ubicadas cerca de Woodlands Farm, ahora Myford House Nursing Home en Woodlands Lane, Horsehay cerca de Coalmoor, Telford entre 1908 y 1948. En 1948 la empresa fue comprada por Coalmoor Refactories Ltd, que producía ladrillos refractarios para la industria del acero. En 1951, la empresa compró la fábrica de ladrillos Lightmoor cercana y, al hacerlo, transfirió toda la producción al nuevo sitio. En 1980, la empresa empleaba a unas 150 personas tanto en la cantera como en las obras de amplificación. Lightmoor Works en Brick Kiln Bank, Lightmoor era propiedad de Ibstock cuando cerró en 1992 y el sitio ahora tiene casas construidas sobre él. Allenite y Mossite son nombres comerciales utilizados por la empresa. Información de Martyn Fretwell.

Coalport

En este enlace se puede ver un poco de información y un mapa con la ubicación de las obras. Foto de Martyn Fretwell.

Cobridge Brick & amp Marl Co Ltd

Cobridge Brick and Marl Co Ltd., se basaba en Leek Road y producía ladrillos comunes con un logotipo de "Cobridge" moldeado en la rana. También produjeron ladrillos refractarios para revestir los hornos utilizados en la industria de la cerámica y ladrillos de ingeniería utilizados en las obras de cimentación. Produjeron una amplia gama de ladrillos hechos a mano por encargo. Marl se extrajo del agujero de marga adyacente y un segundo detrás de las obras en Sneyd Street. Tenían un segundo sitio de producción en Scotia Road en Burslem, donde tenían un horno de aceite continuo moderno, la principal producción de ladrillos comunes se basaba aquí con una producción de desbordamiento de bienes comunes en Cobridge. Información de John Roberts.

Cobridge Brick & amp Sanitary Pipe Co.

Cobridge Brick & amp Sanitary Pipe Co Ltd tenía su sede a solo 200 yardas de Cobridge Brick en Leek Road. Su sitio en Hamil Road Burslem fue abandonado al principio de su historia. Produjeron algunos ladrillos en Hamil Road y estos fueron sellados según esta muestra. Los ejemplos son raros, ya que no se produjeron durante mucho tiempo en la producción de ladrillos. En su sitio de Cobridge, produjeron tuberías y tejas vidriadas con sal. Información de John Roberts y foto de David Kitching.

Cochrane

Cochrane & amp Co Ltd operó la mina New Brancepeth Colliery en el condado de Durham en la década de 1890 y probablemente durante algunos años después. Fotos de Chris Tilney.

Cocking - Balby

Amartillar - Doncaster

Varios ladrillos hechos por Cocking & amp Sons of Balby, Doncaster, todas las fotos por cortesía de la colección de Frank Lawson. Consulte la entrada a continuación para obtener más información sobre esta empresa.

Amartillar - Walkeringham


Frente y parte posterior de un ladrillo Cocking, Clayton es el nombre del fabricante de la maquinaria para fabricar ladrillos.

Fotografiado cerca de Newark por Martyn Fretwell.

Martyn Fretwell escribe: - Thomas Cocking comenzó su Walkeringham, Notts. ladrillos alrededor de 1876, que producían ladrillos rojos y blancos y baldosas rojas de cantera. Thomas fue seguido en este patio por sus hijos y yerno, George Cooper. Esta obra se vendió en algún momento de la década de 1940 y continuó con nuevos propietarios hasta que se cerró en 1956. Después de la venta de las obras de Walkeringham, la familia Cockings abrió una nueva obra en Balby, se cree que también se cree que los ladrillos con sello de Doncaster y amp Balby están hechos por ellos. Las obras de Balby luego se convirtieron en parte de Yorkshire Amalgamated Brick Co. en la década de 1960. Fotografiado en Bassetlaw Museum, Retford por Martyn Fretwell.

Alfred Coe

Alfred Coe figura en la edición de Whites 1892 en Crown St, Ipswich, oficinas en Hadleigh. La edición de 1900 de Kelly registra dos obras en Bromford & amp Hadleigh. Las ediciones de Kelly de 1912 y 16 registran a Alfred Coe, exor de la obra de Bromford. La edición de Kelly de 1925 registra las oficinas de A. Coe Ltd., 15, Crown St. Ipswich, pero ninguna dirección de la obra. Coe también fue constructor. Foto e información de Martyn Fretwell.

Codnor Ville

Un aviso de subasta de un periódico de 1858 anuncia que el Lote 4 fue la venta de 'La mitad de las acciones en Codnor Ville Brick Yard'. No hay nombre del propietario de este astillero en el aviso de subasta, solo indica que "The Tennant's mostrará las instalaciones". Theadore Hickling era el propietario del terreno en el que se había establecido este patio de ladrillos, por lo que pudo haber sido la persona que vendía la mitad de la acción del patio. La investigación de la palabra Ville ha revelado que esta es una palabra francesa para ciudad, por lo que Codnor Ville (ciudad) se estampa en el ladrillo de arriba sin la e. Un mapa de 1854 que muestra el diseño de las parcelas de construcción y las nuevas calles de una nueva urbanización junto a Mill Lane en Codnor también muestra la fábrica de ladrillos en el centro del desarrollo. En la edición de Kelly de 1857, Robert y Charles Taylor están registrados como ladrilleros en Codnor y, según el censo de 1881, Thomas Allcock y sus dos hijos están registrados como ladrilleros, que viven en el cercano Prospect Place en Codnor. Entonces, cualquiera de estas dos familias podría haber hecho estos ladrillos. Información y amplificador Fotografiado en Ripley Reclamation por Martyn Fretwell.

Cogenhoe, Northampton

Cogenhoe Iron Ore Co. se estableció en 1858 y en 1877 la empresa construyó una fábrica de ladrillos para utilizar la arcilla que se estaba cavando. Sin embargo, esta empresa duró poco ya que hubo una caída en la demanda de mineral de hierro y la compañía cerró en 1880. Kelly's enumera The Cogenhoe Iron Ore Co. como ladrilleros en su edición de 1877. Información y foto de Martyn Fretwell.

Colborne, Swindon

G H Colchester, Burwell, Cambs.

G H Colchester, Burwell, Newmarket, Cambs. Supuestamente para dar trabajo a sus trabajadores en invierno, T. T. Ball abrió una fábrica de ladrillos un poco al norte de Burwell, más allá de la antigua veta, eventualmente rebautizada como Factory lode. En 1881 T. T. Ball empleó a 33 hombres en la fábrica de productos químicos, en asociación desde la década de 1880 con W. y G. H. Colchester, de una empresa de fertilizantes de Suffolk. En 1900, esas obras estaban conectadas por una línea privada con el ferrocarril Cambridge-Mildenhall que pasaba por Soham. Su empresa, Colchester & amp Ball, continuó produciendo fertilizantes, hacia 1900 utilizando fosfatos importados, y los ladrillos Burwell White. Cuando G. H. Colchester se retiró en 1919, fue adquirida por otra empresa de fertilizantes de East Anglian, Prentices.

Prentices se fusionó a su vez en 1929 en Fisons Ltd., que fabricó fertilizantes en Burwell hasta después de 1962. En 1926 se construyó una fábrica de ladrillos nueva y más grande, con hoyos de ladrillos en constante crecimiento hacia el norte, en Little Fen condujo justo al suroeste de la anterior. Permaneció en uso en la década de 1960, empleando c. 45 personas y produciendo hasta 10,000,000 de ladrillos al año. En 1966 Fisons lo vendió a un fabricante de ladrillos de Leicestershire. Tras la pérdida de popularidad de los ladrillos blancos, se cerró en 1971. Los edificios, salvo algunas cabañas de trabajadores, fueron demolidos en 1972, sus dos de 180 pies. voladuras de chimeneas altas. Foto e información por cortesía de la colección de Frank Lawson.

Coleford

En la actualidad, Coleford Brick & amp Tile Co. sigue produciendo ladrillos hechos a mano. Establecido en 1925, Marians Brickworks estaba entre Coleford y Staunton. La mayor parte de su producción inicial fue utilizada por la industria minera local en el Bosque de Dean y sus alrededores, pero ahora los ladrillos hechos a mano de la compañía se utilizan principalmente en la industria de la construcción. La fábrica de ladrillos Marians cerró después de la Segunda Guerra Mundial y en 1935 se inauguró un segundo y actual Royal Forest of Dean Works en Cinderford en el sitio de una antigua fábrica de ladrillos. Los contratos recientes han incluido dos y medio millón de ladrillos para la nueva Biblioteca Británica en Londres y 168,000 ladrillos para la torre de 118 pies en el recientemente renovado Royal Shakespeare Theatre en Stratford on Avon. Foto de Colin Wooldridge de la colección John Cooksey y amp Info de Martyn Fretwell. Las fotos de una visita a las obras se pueden ver aquí.

W H Collier

William Homan Collier estableció su fábrica de ladrillos Marks Tey cerca de Colchester en 1863. William había trabajado anteriormente en E & amp R Collier en Reading. William H. Collier figura en las ediciones de Kelly de 1882, 94 y 1902 en Marks Tey. La edición de 1914 ahora incluye a la compañía como Collier Ltd con trabajos en Marks Tey, Hutton, Shenfield & amp Cranham, Upminster. La expansión de Collier Ltd. pudo haber tenido lugar después de que William se retirara de la fabricación de ladrillos o de su muerte. La compañía permaneció en la familia Collier hasta 1988, luego, después de varios cambios en la propiedad, Wienerberger asumió el control de la compañía en 2004. La fábrica de Marks Tey fue adquirida por un equipo de administración de adquisiciones liderada por Maurice Page y la fábrica todavía está en producción en la actualidad. operando bajo el nombre de WH Collier Ltd. Dos hornos de tiro descendente de las obras originales de 1863 todavía están en pie. Información y fotos de Martyn Fretwell.

J Collins, Pensnett

James Collins figura en las ediciones de Kelly de 1868 a 1880 en Pensnett, Kingswinford, Dudley. Información y foto de Martyn Fretwell.

J S Collins, Gornalwood

Samuel John Collins figura en el directorio Jones de 1865 como fabricante de ladrillos en 'Barrs Meadow', que es donde posteriormente se ubicó Gas Works. John Samuel Collins figura en Gornal Wood, Dudley en Kellys 1868 edition. Esta obra estaba situada en Himley Road. Las ediciones de Kelly de 1872 a 1904 ahora enumeran las obras en Lower Gornal, Dudley. El estudio de mapas ha revelado que se trataba de los mismos trabajos. Información y amplificador Fotografiado en el Black Country Living Museum por Martyn Fretwell con información adicional de Colin Morris.

W Collins, Newton le Willows

Fotografiado en una colección de Cambridgeshire por Martyn Fretwell.

W J Collins

Fotografiado en Cawarden Reclamation, Rugeley. Las ediciones Staffordshire de Kelly de 1896 a 1908 registran a William James Collins como albañil en Oaken, Albrighton, Wolverhampton. Foto e información de Martyn Fretwell.

Collins Green

Alan Davies escribe: La compañía tenía una mina de carbón en Collins Green, cerca de Bold, St Helens y también una fábrica de ladrillos en Burtonwood que producía hasta 10,000 ladrillos por día. Algunas se utilizaron en la construcción de 154 cabañas para hombres trabajadores en la aldea.

Colney Hatch

Posiblemente de una pequeña fábrica de ladrillos que estaba en el lado sur del lado de Summer's Lane cerca de Colney Hatch, Middlesex. Parece haber abierto a principios de la década de 1890 y desapareció en 1912. Foto de Lal Hardy.

Colt Park: ver H W Watson

Colthurst Symons & amp Co., Bridgwater

Encontrado en Tenby por Gary Davies.

Foto de John Morley. William Symons abrió un patio de ladrillos en 1851. En 1859, Colthurst & amp Symons & amp Co eran los principales fabricantes de ladrillos de la zona. En 1881 se emplearon grandes cantidades, 85 por un fabricante. El patio más grande era Crossway Brick and Tile Works de Colthurst, Symons y Co. En 1887 había tres yardas, Crossway, Fursland's Somerset Yard y New Yard. New Yard fue llevado a cabo por William Symons en 1898. La fabricación de ladrillos en el área disminuyó a principios del siglo XX. Los socios también figuran en los directorios comerciales como responsables de la fábrica de ladrillos Llanthony en Gloucester.

Colwich

Colwich Brick & amp Tile Co. figura en las ediciones Kellys de 1904 a 1940 en Colwich, Stafford. Fundada hacia 1900 la obra se cerró en 1970. Fotos de las obras abandonadas en este enlace. Foto e información de Martyn Fretwell.

Commondale Brick, Pipe and Pottery Company Ltd

Un ladrillo de chimenea encontrado en Neasham por Jo Crossley.

Una moldura decorada, foto de Jo Crossley.

Foto de Jo Crossley. La familia Crossley, ver entrada posterior, usó el nombre COMMONDALE en algunos de sus
productos.

Conisboro

Hecho en Conisborough, South Yorkshire, gracias a Simon Patterson por las fotos.

Yorkshire Productos fusionados, Ashfield Brickworks, Conisbrough, Doncaster. Ashfield Fire Clay Works en Clifton Hill en Conisbrough fue fundada por Thomas Henry Simpson en la década de 1850. A su muerte en 1880, la propiedad fue comprada por George Walker y Godfrey Edward Crawshaw de Doncaster y, posteriormente, a su muerte alrededor de 1887, pasó a sus hijos Edward Crawshaw y Godfrey Walker. En 1920 Yorkshire Amalgamated Products Ltd de Doncaster, los propietarios de varias otras fábricas de ladrillos en Yorkshire compraron el negocio y la producción continuó hasta el cierre en 1961. Parece que cuando los depósitos de arcilla adyacentes a las fábricas se estaban agotando alrededor de 1950, la arcilla fue enviada de sus fábricas. en las cercanías de Mexborough. Para obtener más información, visite este sitio. Fotos e información por cortesía de la colección de Frank Lawson.

Consett

Foto cortesía de la colección de Frank Lawson.

Compañía de ladrillos refractarios Consett

Compañía de ladrillos refractarios de Consett, Shotley Bridge, Newcastle on Tyne. Foto de Chris Tilney.

Consett Iron Co Ltd

Consett Iron Co. Ltd., Consett, Co. Durham. This was a massive industrial concern producing steel, coal, coke and other related products from the mid 19th century until closure in 1980. The Company owned several brickworks including Delves on the outskirts of Consett, Garesfield and Templeton. Photo by Chris Tilney

Cook, Washington station

The name on this brick is unusually on the header end. Photo by Steven Tait.

Alfred Cook

Alfred Rankin Cook is listed as brickmaker at Stratton St. Marys, Long Stratton & at Swainsthorpe, Norwich in Kellys 1896 & 1904 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

W Cooke & Co, Tinsley

No Info other than there was a William Cooke who produced Iron, steel & wire ropes at Tinsley, but no mention of bricks in the Grace's Guide entry. Photo by Martyn Fretwell from the David Penney Collection.

Cookson

Photos by Frank Lawson. J H Cookson & Son Ltd of Lofthouse, West Yorkshire.

Cooper

Front and back of a Cooper brick found by David Rogers near Lincoln. Clayton is the name of the brick machinery manufacturer. Martyn Fretwell adds: John Cooper is listed in Kelly's 1876 to 1891 editions at Misterton, Notts. The next entries are for George Cooper possibly John's son and he is listed in Kelly's 1900 to 1936 editions at Misterton.

J F Cooper

John Cooper, Mill Lane, Blackburn, Lancs, is thought to have been in business c1865.

T Cooper & Co, Shelton, Derby

Cooper, Maidenhead

Kelly's 1854 edition lists J.K. & H. Cooper at East Street, Maidenhead & Pinkney's Green, Berks. Then Kellys, 1887, 1899 & 1915 editions list the company as John Kinghorn Cooper & Sons, Castle Hill & Pinkney's Green, Maidenhead. The Cooper's owned the works between 1825 & 1955. More info at this Link. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Cooper Newcastle

John Cooper, Kingsfield Brickworks, Newcastle-under-Lyme. He is listed in 1841 as a brick manufacturer at living at Hartshill, In 1851 he was emmploying 3 men and in 1861 the business was John Cooper & Son, King's Field, Shelton New Road, Newcastle. William Cooper his son is listed in 1861 as a master brick and tile maufacturer employing 15 men and 13 boys. The works was closed by 1871 and William Cooper had moved to Springfield Tileries by then. The works was reopened by Deane & Co by 1873. Photo by David Kitching.

Thomas Cope first appears as a brickmaker in the 1842 trade directory at Steels Nook, Longton and the business is listed as being run by his executors by 1864. In 1869 the works is listed as Holden Bridge Brickyard, Smallthorne and it is last mentioned in 1904. Photo and information by David Kitching.

Blue paver. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

J Cope & Son

Ken Perkins records J. Cope & Son at the Midland Port Vale Tileries in 1878 & I have found that John Cope (blue metallic) is listed as brickmaker at Port Vale, Wolstanton Stoke on Trent & Smallthorne in Kelly's 1868 edition & then in the 1872 edition the listing is Norton in the Moors, Burslem & Wolstanton SOT. Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Copford

For the history of this works please see John Ambrose entry. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

A Copp

Found at St Lawrence, Jersey. Photo by Richard Watson.

G Copp

Made by G Copp, Maufant, Jersey. The works operated from the 1890s to 1914. Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

Coptrod

Coptrod Brickworks Ltd., Mellor Street, Rochdale. Photos by David Kitching.

London Gazette July 1920:- COPTROD BRICKWORKS Limited. AT an Extraordinary General Meeting of the above named Company, duly convened, and held at Sparth Brickworks, Rochdale, on the 9th day of June, 1920, the following Resolutions were duly passed as Extraordinary Resolutions and at a subsequent Extraordinary General Meeting of the Members of the said Company, also duly convened, and held at the same place on the 1st day of July, 1920, such Resolutions were duly confirmed as Special Resolutions, namely:—

1. " That the Coptrod Brickworks Limited be wound up voluntarily."

2. " That Charles Percival Menday, of Sparth Brickworks, Rochdale, Company Secretary is hereby appointed Liquidator for the purpose of such winding-up."

Dated this 2nd day of July, 1920. THOMAS HOWARTH, Chairman.

Photo and info from Frank Lawson.

Corbett, Stoke Works

A Worcestershire brick, Simon Patterson photographed this one at Avoncroft Museum

Corbridge on Tyne

The front and back of a Corbridge brick. Photo by Mark Cranston.

Corby see Weldon & Corby

Cornard, Suffolk

Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.

Cornard Brick & Tile Co. Sudbury, Suffolk was in production between 1919 & 1964. This example was made after 1945. Full history of the works, page 4. http://www.arct.cam.ac.uk/Downloads/bbs/bbs-43.pdf/at_download/file
Image of the washmill. http://www.sudburysuffolk.co.uk/photoarchive/viewimage.asp?id=670 . Info & Photographed at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Cornes, Hanley

The Cornes works was on, Slippery Lane, Hanley, adjacent to the Shelton Colliery. By 1900 it was sharing the marl hole with the Sun Street Works to the south. In 1867 the works was operated by Richard B Clarke and Cornes only appears in the 1896 directory. By 1904 the firm was trading as C Cornes & Sons but in 1907 the works is listed as operated by the Hanley & Tunstall Fireclay Co Ltd. Photo and information by David Kitching.

Cornish

With this brick just being stamped Cornish I have attributed it to Orbell Cornish who's sons/grandsons also follow him as brickmakers in Essex. Orbell Cornish is listed in Kellys 1871 to 1882 editions at Sible Hedingham, Halstead, Essex. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Daniel Cornish & Co.

Daniel Cornish was the son of Orbell Cornish, brickmaker in Sible Hedingham. Daniel Cornish & Co. owned the Shenfield & Hutton Brickworks in Shenfield, Brentwood & this works is first listed in Kellys 1899 edition. Kellys 1902 edition now includes a 2nd works at Wickford & was situated at the end of Station Avenue. Daniel continues to run both works until the Wickford Works is listed in Kellys 1917 edition as being owned by John Cornish (possibly his brother). John Cornish is listed at Wickford until Kellys 1922 edition. As of yet no bricks stamped John Cornish have been found. Back to Daniel & he continues to be listed in Kellys at the Shenfield & Hutton Works until my last available trade directory in 1937. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Edward Cornish, Eastwood, Essex

Edward Cornish was the son of Orbell Cornish, brickmaker in Sible Hedingham. Edward is listed in Kellys 1902 edition at the Eastwood Brickworks, Rochford, Essex. This entry continues until the 1922 edition when it's now Edward Cornish, Eastwood B/W's, Rayleigh Road, Southend. Kellys 1937 entry is the same & is the last Essex trade directory that I have access to. The works closed in 1973 by which time Edward's son was running the business. Edward lived to the grand old age of 100 & died in 1974. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell. Further info from Stephen Marks.

Eli Cornish

Eli Cornish was the son of Orbell Cornish, brickmaker in Sible Hedingham. Eli stamped his bricks ECC to distinguish his bricks from his brother's Edward Cornish who stamped his bricks, EC. Eli's Tortoise Brickworks was on Wethersfield Road, Sible Hedingham & he is listed in Kellys 1894 edition to 1929 edition at this works. A web article records him brickmaking between 1886 & 1932. In Kellys 1902 edition Eli is listed as briefly owning the Hedingham Brick Co., after which that works reverted back to being owned by Mark Gentry who had previously owned it. Eli also owned a 2nd brickworks called the Sidings Brickworks at Purls Hill, Sible Hedingham & this works is listed in Kellys 1914 & 17 editions. Eli Cornish is also recorded as being a director of the Sible Hedingham Red Brick Co. which took over Mark Gentry's Highfield Works, Purls Hill after he had finished brickmaking & the S.H.R.B. Co. is listed from Kellys 1922 edition as owning this works. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell with some info from a BBS article by Adrian Corder-Birch.

Fred Cornish, Tortoise

Fred Cornish is listed as brickmaker at the Tortoise Brickworks, Wethersfield Road, Sible Hedingham in Kellys 1933 & 37 editions. Fred followed Eli Cornish at the works who may have been his father. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

W Cornish

William Cornish was the son of Orbell Cornish, brickmaker in Sible Hedingham. William is listed in Kellys 1886 & 90 editions at High Beech Road, Loughton, Essex. Kellys 1894 edition now records the company as William Cornish & Co. at Chigwell Road, South Woodford. This entry continues until 1925 when the listing is H.R. Cornish, Chigwell Road, South Woodford. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

W D Cornish

W. D. Cornish, Enfield. Middx. started around 1990's along with several other brickworks in the area. His Bush Hill Park works flourished until the price of land increased & his works was the last to close in the Enfield area in 1936. Info by Martyn Fretwell and photographed in a Kent reclamation yard.

Corona


Found near Measham, Leicestershire, photo by Michael Raybould.

Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.

Peter Harris writes: These were made by Coronet Brick co ltd of Measham. They made both bricks and salt glazed pipes They only made pipes in the later years They closed about 1965 I do not think they were connected to Redbank as they were on the other side of the Midland Railway at Measham.

Martyn Fretwell adds Coronet Brick and Terra Cotta Works was in production by 1903 and was one of a trio of brickworks on Atherstone Road. Redbank was on the opposite side of the railway line and Measham Terra Cotta Co. was to the north, each with its own adjoining clay pits. The company may have taken its name from nearby Coronet House situated 150 meters from the works.

Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

Cossall Colliery Co.

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.

Martyn Fretwell writes :- The Cossall Colliery Co. is listed in Kelly's 1916 & 22 editions with three railway siding depots in Nottingham. The brickworks was next to the colliery in the village of Cossall, Notts, which is just east of Ilkeston. A mining reference records the Cossall Colliery Co. brickworks as making 10,000 bricks per day in 1923 & by 1940 the output was 15,000 bricks per day.

Cosslet, Warmley

Richard Cosslett junior is listed in Slater's 1880 Bristol trade directory as brick & terra cotta manufacturer at Warmley, Glos. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Coton Park, Burton on Trent

Found near Repton in Derbyshire by Frank Lawson. The 1895 Kelly's Directory for Derbyshire lists "Coton Park & Linton Colliery Ltd" of Linton, Burton upon Trent as brick manufacturers.

Cottam & Barlboro

Photo by Simon Patterson. Cottam Colliery, Barlborough was sunk in 1853 & was owned by Appleby & Co. then later by the Eckington Coal & Iron Co. The 1875 OS map shows the associated brickworks was next to Cottam No.2 pit, also known as Cottam "New Colliery". Both colliery & brickworks had disappeared by the 1899 map.

See also the entry for Barlboro.

Cottam Hall Brick Co

The Cotton Hall Brick Company works was situated at Ingol to the northwest of Preston beside the Lancaster Canal.

Photos of the works can be found here.

County, Stacksteads

Photo by courtesy of Colin Driver.

The County Brick & Tile Co. at Rakehead, Stackstead, Lancs went into liquidation on the 26th May 1900 after 13 years of production & was owned by Thomas Ratcliffe. Seventeen years after the disused brickworks had closed the 114ft chimney, constructed with 90,000 bricks was pulled down. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Coupe

Frank Lawson writes: I am confident that this brick was made by Coupe Brothers, Brickmakers who, according to several street directories, operated out of several addresses in Sheffield including Carlisle Street East & Sorby Street. Coupe Brothers (Bricks), 19 Carlisle Street East works, Eleanor Street, Attercliffe, Sheffield. Kelly's Sheffield Directory 1923 - 1935

Cousins, Whitehaven

Michael Cousins is listed as a master builder in the 1880's directories and in 1881 as builder and Brick and Tile maker. Site of works not known at present. Info by Solway Past, photo by Phil Jenkins.

Cowcroft

I found a Buckinghamshire County Council reference to a brick kiln at Cowcroft, Ley Hill, Chesham, recorded as being in operation in the 19th & 20th centuries at this grid reference SP 98720 01810 on Kiln Lane and may have been the location where this brick was made. There was another brickworks also now closed at Meadhams Farm, situated slightly south of the Cowcroft site & this works was owned by the Dunton Brothers / Michelmersh Group. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the David Penney Collection.

Cowen M

Joseph Cowen & Co., Blaydon Burn Brickworks, Co Durham. Kelly's Durham Directory 1890. Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Another Cowen brick has been found by Tom Ostrander along the path of the Seattle and Lake Shore Railroad at Issaquah Washington, the first rail line built out of Seattle and across the Cascade mountains. It was built in 1885-1887.

Cowie

Martyn Fretwell writes :- No trade directory entries have been found for this paver, but with photographing it at Oldfield Reclamation, Old Hill I expect it was made in the West Bromwich/ Tipton area. If you can help with information for this brick, please contact David. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Cowling

Photo taken at an old house in the village of Everton in North Nottinghamshire by Joe Jefferies. Frank Lawson writes: I think this was almost certainly made by John Cowling of Spital Terrace Gainsborough, Lincs (White's Lincolnshire Directory 1856). Everton is very close to Gainsborough and I also found one in the same vicinity.

John Cowling is first listed in White's 1853 edition as brickmaker at Walkeringham, Notts. John is then followed by his son William in the running of the works in 1861. This works consisted of two yards, one either side of the Chesterfield Canal. Kelly's Lincolnshire 1868 edition records William as him living at Crowgarth, Gainsborough & his works at Walkeringham, Notts. After William's early death in 1871 aged 35, his wife Maria ran the two yards until she sold them as two individual lots in 1880. The entry for Cowling & Co. appears in Kelly's 1876 Notts. edition. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Found in Dunham on Trent by Carl.

Coxlodge

Coxlodge Colliery Fire Brick Works at Gosforth, Newcastle outlasted the collieries themselves by many years and from map evidence was open from before 1895 to after 1938. Photo and info by Ian Suddaby.

This brick was photographed by Dave McAnelly at the Coxlodge, Gosforth and District Social Club, on Jubilee Road, Coxlodge, Newcastle upon Tyne. It was part of a wall that was removed during refurbishment work and kept as a memento, the Club was purpose built and opened in June 1910. Thanks to Ken Roddam.

Cradley Heath

This brick could have been made at the Congreaves Brickworks, Cradley Heath owned by the British Iron Co. History of the brickworks can be read at this link. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection, with Info supplied by Martyn Fretwell.

Craig Bros, Sacriston

Craig Brothers were a local builders firm, their yard was on Findon Hill, Sacriston, County Durham, where there is still a small row of 1930s semi-detached houses called 'Craigland Villas'. Craig's was a family firm, one of whose daughters, born in Sacriston, was the actress Wendy Craig. Photo by Chris Tilney.

Cramlington

Made at Cramlington colliery north of Newcastle on Tyne, photos by Tony Gray.

East Cramlington Brickworks - probably associated with Cramlington Colliery. Photo by Frank Lawson.

W Crane, Newton Burgoland, Ashby de la Zouch

William Crane, brickmaker in Newton Burgoland, Swepstone, Ashby-De-La-Zouch is listed in Kelly's 1895 to 1908 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Cranleigh

A brickworks was established next to Baynards Railway Station near Cranleigh, Surrey in the early 20th century & was known as Baynards Brick & Tile Works. After many years of producing bricks & Fuller's earth for the wool industry & then producing foundry clay, the site was purchased by Steetley Chemicals in 1937. Production of chemicals continued on the site until 1989 when the works closed. A new brickworks was then established just to the west of the chemical works in 1990 & was known as the Cranleigh Brick & Tile Co. The brickworks closed in 2004 & the site was then used to store bricks from other brickworks. Today after being derelict for many years the site is in the process of being turned into a nature reserve. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Richard Symonds, taken at Amberley Chalkpits Museum.

H & W Crapper

Henry and William Crapper were running the Wisewood brickworks at Loxley by 1893, the business having previously been operated in partnership by Thomas Marshall and William Crapper at their Storrs Bridge Works in the Loxley Valley. Their works was severely damaged in the Sheffield Flood when the Dale Dyke Dam at Bradfield burst on the night of 11th / 12th March 1864. Their claim for damages for £1603 11s 2d was agreed at £1217.10s 0d. Later Thomas Marshall concentrated on the refractory brick side of the business at the Storrs Bridge works while the Crappers concentrated on the manufacture of house bricks at a works lower down the Loxley Valley at Wisewood. In 1901 the Crappers Brick Co. Ltd. was in existence but the deaths of the brothers led to the business being taken over by the Wisewood Brick Company around that time. Info from John Bramall.

Cobarde

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

These bricks were the product of John Craven at the large Roundwood brickworks at Alverthorpe, Wakefield which opened in 1862. John Craven was the inventor of the stiff-plastic process and the owner of the first Hoffman kiln in Britain. The kiln was fired continuously until 1909. John Craven designed the brick-making machines and grinding pans. Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.

Craven Brickworks

The Craven Brickworks, Cockshutts Lane, Wolverhampton was established by Joseph Onions after 1902 and prior to 1908 and was then run by Isaac Onions from 1912 to 1916. Photo by Duncan Russell.

Creciente

Crescent Brick Co., George Holt manager, Bilston Road, Willenhall. Kelly’s Directory, 1900. Photo & info by Martyn Fretwell.

Crofts Plastic

Thomas Croft Brickworks, Deepdale, Preston. Photo by Colin Driver, info by Frank Lawson.

Croft Stone

Photographed at Cadeby Reclamation yard. Martyn writes :- With this brick being photographed in Leicestershire, C.S. could be Croft Stone, Quarry & Brick Co. Croft, Hinckley which is recorded in Kelly's 1877 edition. From the 1881 to 1912 editions the Company is listed as Croft Granite & Brick Co. with the 1881 entry recording Henry Davis Pochin & Samuel Davenport Pochin as Proprietors.

Crompton & Co Ltd, Croston

Crompton's brick and tile works was situated to the south of Croston Station in Lancashire and was well established by 1892. By 1910 the works was connected to the clay pit by an aerial ropeway. Production continued until at least the early 1970s when it was marked as a tile works on the OS map.

Crook & Co.

Examples of this brick have been found in Bolton and Wigan. Photo by David Kitching.

Crooks

photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.

Crosby

Crosland Coal Company

Found on the site of Cleckheaton Central station, probably made by the Crosland Coal Company, Webster Lane, Scholes, Cleckheaton. Listed 1877 to 1897, info and image PRBCO.

Cross image

With this brick being marked with a cross, I was told it was made at the St. Helens brickworks in Ipswich & I found that there is a brickworks marked on the 1882 & 1900 maps off Back Hamlet & close to St. Helens Church. There is another option of it being made at the Trinity Brickworks which was situated on the other side of Back Hamlet next to Holy Trinity Church & this works is shown on the 1882 & 1900 maps. Kelly's 1896 edition lists Joseph Bird as owning the Trinity Brickworks & this works closed around 1910. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Cross Keys

This brick was found and photographed in a fireplace at Holbeach, Lincolnshire, by David Spellane. The end of the brick is scribed W A 1832. My best stab at the brickyard where it was made is that it comes from the Cross Keys brick field, immediately on the east side of Sutton Bridge, a few miles to the east of Holbeach. The owners of the initials RS and also WA are unknown.

John Crossley

John Crossley, Stockton on Tees, Co. Durham. John Crossley was a retailer of building products from Stockton-on-Tees having also opened a builders merchants in Middlesbrough in 1858. Between 1871 and 1947 he operated several brickworks in the South Durham / North Yorkshire area including Commondale & Grosmont which produced many clay building products, as well as terracotta ware at Commondale.

See also the entries for Commondale and Tudor.

Crossley, Middlesbro - photos by Simon Patterson.

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Found on the beach at Saltburn by Jo Crossley.

Crossling Benwell

Hartley Hudson Crossling produced at the Condercum Brickworks adjacent to the Charlotte Pit in Benwell, (although not commercially connected to that concern), to the west of Newcastle upon Tyne. Info by Arthur Brickman, photo by Thomas Davison.

Crowborough

Martyn Fretwell was told at the brick yard that this one is from Crowborough. INFO from net - Crowborough Brickworks at Jarvis Brook, started around 1890 and was in production until February 1980. It was owned by Redland when it closed in 1982. The site is now part industrial and part nature reserve. Photo and info by Martyn Fretwell. 2 links for the brickworks. http://www.theweald.org/B10.asp?bookid=payne02050 http://www.theweald.org/m00.asp?PicIdto=45151104

Crowle

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection. Made near Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire.

BSC operated the Crowle Brickworks near Scunthorpe between 1967 & 1972. Full history of the works at these two links: here and here. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Crown Clay Co

Situated at a Crew's Hole, Bristol the Crown Clay Co made firebricksalong with sanitary pipes and terracotta ware from around 1800. At some point in the later 19th century the business was absorbed into the Bristol Fire Clay Company. Photos by Eric Taylor.

Crown Works, Horwich: see Yates, Horwich

Crowther & Hamblet: see John Hamblet (coping bricks)

A B Croxon

Made in Burnham on Crouch, Essex. Photo by David Wallis.

Cudworth

Cudworth Brickworks Ltd., Cudworth, Barnsley, 1890-1945. Located Behind Lindrick Close, Cudworth. It wasn’t connected to coal mining and seems to have been an independent producer. Later in the brickworks' life it was owned by Oakland Brothers who bought a number of Barnsley based brickworks. Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Cudworth Junction

The brickworks was located on the south-western flank of Cudworth near Barnsley, South Yorkshire. Listed in trade directories under this name 1897 and 1904. Image PRBCO.

This was photographed at the Chasewater Railway near Lichfield by John Pease.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Culford

This was an estate brickworks belonging to Culford Hall, Suffolk owned by the Benyon family until the Hall was sold in 1889 to George Henry, 5th Lord Cadogan who live there until his death in 1933. I have no trade directories for this works but it is shown on two maps dated 1881 & 1903 with it no longer being shown on a 1950 map. In 1893 Lord Cadogan made many improvements to his house when he turned it into a mansion. In 1901 Henry Warren is recorded as manager of the works & living at Brick Kiln Cottage. Photo by John Bowes & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photos by Martyn Fretwell.

Culgaith, Cumberland

Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

Cumberworth

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection. Cumberworth Brick & Tile Company was founded by the Wood family. The address in the 1930s was the Cumberworth Brick, Tile & Stone Co Ltd, Shepley, Huddersfield. Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.

Found at Thurlstone, S.Yorks by Frank Lawson.

Cunliffe's Kettering

This works was the north-west of the town between the River Slade and the Midland Railway and this is shown on the 1900 map and Kelly's Directory lists a William Cunliffe as a brick manufacturer. Photo and info by Dave Clemo.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

Cuthbert

F Cuthbert & Sons Ltd., Greystones, Sheffield. White's Sheffield & Rotherham Directory 1905. Photo and info by Frank Lawson courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.


Other items on this site that are directly related to the current book.

The Encyclopedia of Texas (Book)

This book provides a biographical view of Texas and its history. The book uses many narratives of the individuals who helped shape Texas history. The book also includes profiles of: the public school system in Texas banking the public school system the State Fair the Cotton Industry oil history and histories of select towns, such as Dallas, Fort Worth, Wichita Falls, Burkburnett, Ellis County, Waco, San Antonio, Galveston, and many others.

Relationship to this item: (Has Format)


Bricks of Ohio Blog (B.O.B)

Bricks may seem as boring and mundane as can be. But not all bricks are created equal. There was a time when Ohio was a brick powerhouse for the state, the nation and the world. Back in the golden era of brick paver making, the kilns of Eastern Ohio were constantly firing to meet the nation’s never-ending hunger for fire bricks and street pavers. From the 1880’s to the late 1930’s billions of bricks found their ways to the streets and buildings far from their rural roots. They don’t make them like this any more…they can’t. The time and expense to craft one of these by hand, glaze them with salt and stamp them is too labor intensive to make sense or cents.

I never thought much of bricks until I started the learn their lost history and came to respect the craftsmanship that made them. Even though billions were laid and paved the majority have been lost to time – buried under layers of asphalt or dumped in landfills and forgotten. These are the stories of my discoveries and how I came to appreciate these heavy hunks of heritage and why I made the time to pull history from the muck.

Attention visitors: If you came to this blog doing a Google search for a brick or block you found – please share with other readers what you found, where you found it and any information or links you find about it. This will help build the Brickpendium of knowledge here.

If you post a question like this: I found ________, how much can I sell it for. I will delete your comment.


American Brick Collection

Brick is one of the oldest and most enduring man-made building materials. Sun-dried mud brick, or adobe, appeared about 10,000 years ago. The earliest kiln-fired or clay-baked brick dates to 3,500 B.C. This marked the first time humans were able to construct permanent fireproof structures without stone.

Since at least 1611, when English brick makers were recruited to Virginia, fired brick has been part of the North American landscape. Tied to the colonial era, brick came to define the nation’s industrial age and remains linked to contemporary notions of the American factory, school, and single-family house. Although once manufactured with incredible variety, brick production today is far more limited because the material is no longer used structurally, but rather as veneer.

The American Brick Collection contains 1,800 bricks, most from the late 19th- and early 20th-century, each stamped with the manufacturer’s name, logo, or hometown. Donor Raymond Chase spent 24 years collecting them. There are examples of decorative, face, fire, paving, pressed, and common bricks from around the nation. All told, the collection weighs around 10,000 pounds.

The American Brick Collection is in storage and not on view. Please check current exhibitions for a list of what is publicly accessible.

Galería

Brick Collection, 2013. CItyscapes.

Brick Collection, 2013. CItyscapes.

Brick Collection, 2013. CItyscapes.

Brick Collection, 2013. CItyscapes.

Brick Collection, 2013. CItyscapes.

Brick Collection, 2013. CItyscapes.

Brick Collection, 2013. CItyscapes.

Baltimore Brick Collection, 2006.

4 blocks from the National Mall

Metro
Judiciary Square (Red Line)
Gallery Place-Chinatown (Red/Yellow/Green Lines)

Free access to the Great Hall, Museum Shop,
y Gun Violence Memorial Project


Solway Past History in the borders

You are here: Home Ladrillos Ladrillos BRICKS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY

BRICKS FROM AROUND THE UK.

STOURBRIDGE

In the midlands an area well known for fireclay.

There was a number of makers in the area.

A brick just stamped Stourbridge

A brick marked Fishers Stourbridge.

TIMMIS & CO LTD

Another Stourbridge company. Founded by the Timmis brothers G H and J A about 1871 they mined clay from under Stourbridge and Amblecote.

RAYAX is a trade mark for firebricks with a high 55 - 60% Aluminium by incorpoating Sillimanite a high content Aluminosilicate mineral.

LONDON BRICK COMPANY. (LBC)

This brick is a minature brick. There is a debate about these small bricks some were used in fireplaces etc. Or were they made as samples for travelling sales men?

PHORPRES refers to the fact the bricks are pressed four times in their production. Originall in presses made by C. Whittaker & Co of Accrington, Lancashire.

Examples of LBC bricks known as Flettons. The numbers refer to the various works and also in cases of double numbers also to the press used.

Flettons are made from Oxford clay which has an unique property in that it contains a high concentration of organic matter which results in the brick almost firing itself in the kiln and so reducing drastically the overall cost of firing and production. Another advantage is the abiltiy to crush it to a fine granular material and it possessed a uniform moisture content which made it suitable for making into bricks by using semi-dry pressing process.

The "Fletton" process was started at Fletton Lodge Estate which was purchased by James McCallum Craig and the bricks made became known as Flettons. A number of companies were involved but over time the London Brick Company dominated the Fletton trade.

The London Brick company was incorporated as the London Brick company Limited in 1900 and adopted the trade mark "PHORPRES" in 1901. The Phorpres name was dropped in 1974.

An LB brick stamped 10. this brick has a very deep frog. The brick is 2.5 inches thick and the frog is 1.5 inches deep.

Manufactured by the North Staffordshire Brick and Tile Co. Ltd, Chesterton, Newcastle-under-Lyme

VITROS would appear to be their trade mark for their typical staffordshire blue engineering brick.

The same type of brick with a 'F' on it.

METALLIC AND METAL BRAND

These were the trade marks of Metallic Tile Co (Rowley Bros) Ltd. at the Metallic tileries in Chesterton, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire. closed in 1977.

J C E stands for J C Edwards who had a brick works at Ruaban, North Wales

A lot of JCE bricks with a number and fraction on it. In this case 31/8 in a very deep frog.

this is the reverse of the top brick with 31/8

Adifferent variation on the 31/8.

RUABON BRICK & TERRA COTTA LTD

A rope topped garden edge.

Ruabon Brick & Terra Cotta Ltd or locally called Jenks Terra Cotta. Founded by the Hague family of Gardden around 1883 and managed by Mr Jenks. Taken over by Dennis in 1960s and closed 1970s.

KETLEY BRICKS

A Staffordshire blue engineering brick.

Made by Ketley Bricks, Dreadnought Works, Dreadnaught Road, Pesnett, Brierly Hill.

(Information from the old brick marks website. )

MARK FAWCETT AND COMPANY.

Mark Fawcett and Company from near London. The Edwardian Patwnt Dow draught Preventing Chimney pot. (The pot is upside down in the picture as being used as a planter.)


Ver el vídeo: Algumas bagunças pra por em ordem