Tuscumbia II YTB-762 - Historia

Tuscumbia II YTB-762 - Historia

Tuscumbia II

(YTB-762: dp. 356 (f.); 1. 109 '; b. 31'; dr. 14 '; s. 12
k .; cpl. 12; cl. Natick)

El segundo Tuscumbia (YTB-762) fue establecido en septiembre de 1946, en Portland, Oreg., Por Commercial Iron Works; botado en noviembre de 1945 y terminado en enero de 1946. Los registros de su carrera posterior son escasos, pero el barco aparentemente permaneció en reserva durante una década y media y no se puso en servicio hasta diciembre de 1961. Luego sirvió en San Diego, adjunto al 11 ° Distrito Naval, hasta que se trasladó a Pearl Harbor, Hawai, para operar en el 14 ° Distrito Naval, proporcionando los servicios de remolque y remolque necesarios para apoyar a la Flota del Pacífico desde 1963 hasta 1978.


Tuscumbia II YTB-762 - Historia

Walter Gilmore Anderson nació el 11 de agosto de 1924. Según nuestros registros, Oregón era su hogar o estado de alistamiento y el condado de Curry se incluyó en el registro de archivo. Tenemos a Wedderburn en la lista de la ciudad. Se había alistado en la Marina de los Estados Unidos. Ingresó al servicio a través del Ejército Regular. Sirvió durante la Guerra de Vietnam. Anderson tenía el rango de Suboficial de Primera Clase. Su ocupación o especialidad militar era el contramaestre de primera clase. El número de servicio asignado fue 3766159. Adjunto al USS Tuscumbia (YTB-762). Durante su servicio en la Guerra de Vietnam, el Suboficial de Primera Clase de la Armada Anderson experimentó un evento traumático que finalmente resultó en la pérdida de la vida el 21 de febrero de 1968. Circunstancias registradas atribuidas a: Fallecimiento por acción no hostil. Lugar del incidente: Vietnam del Sur, provincia de Quang Nam. Walter es honrado en el Monumento a los Veteranos de Vietnam en Washington DC. Nombre inscrito en VVM Wall, Panel 40e, Línea 50.

Departamento de Contabilidad / Tesorería de la ciudad de Tuscumbia

Bienvenido al Departamento de Contabilidad / Tesorero de la ciudad de Tuscumbia. El Departamento de Contabilidad / Tesorero es responsable de planificar, dirigir y coordinar las actividades relacionadas con la contabilidad, la gestión de la deuda, las funciones de tesorería, la administración del impuesto a las ventas, la nómina y las compras. Establecer funciones de control, objetivos deseados, desarrollar procedimientos y proponer cambios en los métodos existentes. El Contador / Tesorero actúa como custodio de todos los fondos y mantiene un registro preciso de los fondos de todos los departamentos que muestran con precisión la situación financiera de la ciudad de Tuscumbia. Se mantienen libros y registros adecuados de acuerdo con las normas contables generalmente aceptadas en los Estados Unidos.

El presupuesto 2012-2013 es de aproximadamente $ 7.5 millones de los cuales aproximadamente $ 4.3 millones se asignan a la nómina. Las copias de los informes financieros anuales están disponibles haciendo clic en cualquiera de estos enlaces:


Tuscumbia II YTB-762 - Historia

Esta página enumera todos los buques de la Armada de los EE. UU. Con nombre H cuyas imágenes están disponibles a través de la Biblioteca en línea.

Si el barco que desea no figura en esta página, comuníquese con la Sección de Fotografía para conocer otras opciones de investigación.

Los barcos con nombre H se enumeran a continuación en orden alfabético. Escanee la lista hasta que encuentre el barco que desea, luego haga clic en su entrada para acceder a las páginas de imágenes correspondientes.

  • H-1 (Submarino # 28), 1913-1920. El nombre cambió de Seawolf mientras estaba en construcción.
  • H-2 (Submarino # 29, más tarde SS-29), 1913-1931. El nombre cambió de Nautilus mientras estaba en construcción.
  • H-3 (submarino n. ° 30), 1914-1931. El nombre cambió de Garfish mientras estaba en construcción
  • H-4 (Submarino # 147, más tarde SS-147), 1918-1931
  • H-5 (Submarino # 148, más tarde SS-148), 1918-1933
  • H-6 (Submarino # 149, más tarde SS-149), 1918-1933
  • H-7 (Submarino # 150, más tarde SS-150), 1918-1933
  • H-8 (Submarino # 151, más tarde SS-151), 1918-1933
  • H-9 (Submarino # 152, más tarde SS-152), 1918-1933


Registros de la Oficina del Censo

Establecido: En el Departamento de Comercio y Trabajo por orden del Secretario de Comercio y Trabajo, 1 de julio de 1903. Nombre de la agencia confirmado legislativamente por ley del 31 de agosto de 1954 (68 Stat. 1025).

Agencias predecesoras:

Oficinas de censo temporales (Censos decenales del 1. ° al 12. °, 1790-1900), presentando declaraciones de la siguiente manera:

1er censo decenal (1790, al presidente)
2do-6to Censos Decenales (1800-40, al Secretario de Estado)
7o-9o Censos Decenales (1850-70, al Secretario de Gobernación)
Censos Décimo-Doceavo Decenal (1880-1900, hasta el
Superintendente del Censo de la Secretaría de Gobernación)

Oficina del Censo, Departamento del Interior (1902-3)

Traslados: Al Departamento de Comercio por la Ley del Departamento de Comercio (37 Stat.736), 4 de marzo de 1913 a la Administración de Estadísticas Económicas y Sociales, Departamento de Comercio, por Orden del Secretario, el 1 de enero de 1972 restaurado al estado independiente en el Departamento de Comercio por Organización Orden 35-2A, 4 de agosto de 1975.

Funciones: Realiza censos decenales de población y vivienda y censos quinquenales de agricultura, gobiernos estatales y locales, manufacturas, industrias mineras, comercios distributivos, industrias de la construcción y transporte. Compila estadísticas sobre comercio exterior, importaciones, exportaciones y envíos. Publica estimaciones de población y datos de proyecciones sobre las características de la población y la vivienda e informes sobre la fabricación, el comercio minorista y mayorista, los servicios, la construcción y las finanzas y el empleo de los gobiernos estatales y locales.

Adquirió la responsabilidad de compilar el Resumen Estadístico de los Estados Unidos y las estadísticas de comercio exterior de la Oficina de Comercio Exterior e Interior, 1937 y 1941, respectivamente. Responsabilidad de compilar estadísticas vitales transferida al Servicio de Salud Pública de los EE. UU., Agencia Federal de Seguridad, por el Plan de Reorganización No. II de 1946, efectivo el 16 de julio de 1946.

Encontrar ayudas: Katherine H. Davidson y Charlotte M. Ashby, comps., Inventario preliminar de los registros de la Oficina del Censo, suplemento PI 161 (1964) en la edición de microfichas de los Archivos Nacionales de los inventarios preliminares.

Registros relacionados: Registre copias de los cronogramas del censo y otras publicaciones de la Oficina del Censo y sus componentes en RG 287, Publicaciones del gobierno de EE. UU. Registros generales del Departamento de Comercio, RG 40. Registros de la Secretaría de Gobernación, RG 48.

29.2 REGISTROS ADMINISTRATIVOS DE LA OFICINA DEL CENSO
1820-1905

Historia: Según lo dispuesto por la Constitución (artículo I, sección 2), una ley del 1 de marzo de 1790 (1 Stat. 101) dispuso el 1er Censo y, con modificaciones menores, regía cada censo hasta 1850. El término "Oficina del Censo" se refiere al personal temporal establecido para administrar los censos decenales, 1790-1900. Los censos fueron realizados por los alguaciles de distrito de los EE. UU., 1790-1870 y por enumeradores bajo supervisores responsables a través del Superintendente del Censo al Secretario del Interior, 1880-1900. Los registros administrativos existentes comienzan con los del 4º Censo (1820). Los horarios del censo, 1790-1950, se describen BAJO 29.8.

29.2.1 Registros del 4 ° al 9 ° Censos (1820-70)

Registros textuales: Registros del cuarto censo, 1820-21. Cuentas de compensación a los alguaciles para el quinto censo, 1830-31 y el sexto censo, 1840-41. Registros del Séptimo Censo, incluido el diario de pagos a los alguaciles, registros de empleados de 1850-53, libro de cartas de 1850-55, 1851-52 y recibos y resúmenes de las declaraciones del censo, 1850. Registros del octavo censo, incluidos los pagos a los alguaciles y asistentes, listas de empleados 1860-70, 1860-63 y registros contables, 1859-64. Registros del noveno censo, incluidos los registros relacionados con el personal, las nóminas mensuales de 1870-72, los registros contables de 1870-73, el registro de declaraciones recibidas de 1870-77, los informes de población y de 1870-71, 1870. Descripciones de las subdivisiones de enumeración para el séptimo, octavo y Noveno Censos, 1850, 1860, 1870.

Publicaciones en microfilm: T1224.

29.2.2 Registros del décimo censo (1880)

Registros textuales: Copias de cartas enviadas, 1877-81. Registros relacionados con solicitantes, personas designadas en 1880-81, 1879-80 y personal, 1879-85. Listas de agentes especiales, expertos y personal de campo, 1879-81. Registros de nómina, 1879-85. Cuentas de pago del enumerador, 1880-81. Diario de gastos, 1879-85. Libros de contabilidad, 1879-85. Copias de cartas a enumeradores, 1880. Índice de cartas enviadas a agentes especiales, 1880. Registro de correspondencia del Congreso sobre enumeradores, 1880-81. Registros de recepción de horarios, 1880-83. Lista de ocupaciones, 1880. Libros de registro sobre pesca, 1869-79 plantadores de azúcar de Luisiana, 1881-82 y producción de carne en Utah y ganado en Texas, 1878-80. Descripciones de distritos de enumeración, 1880. Índice del censo de población de 1880 para Maryland y el Distrito de Columbia, 1880 (153 pies lineales). Tarjetas de índice del censo de 1880 para usar los sistemas Soundex para los estados de AL, FL, KY y "A - C466" para MS, 1880 (725 pies lineales en Atlanta).

Nota: Las tarjetas de índice del censo de 1880 para el estado de Georgia están en préstamo permanente a la Sociedad Genealógica de Georgia.

Publicaciones en microfilm: T1224.

Términos de acceso del sujeto: Seaton, Charles W. Walker, Francis A.

29.2.3 Registros del XI Censo (1890)

Registros textuales: Cartas enviadas, 1889. Listas de patrocinio, 1889-94. Listas de empleados, 1889-94. Registros relacionados con empleados, 1889-97 y agentes especiales, 1889-93. Registros de nómina, 1889-1903. Pagos a enumeradores, 1890-91. Cuentas de agentes especiales, 1890-93. Listas de instituciones estatales que presentaron horarios, 1890-91. Estadísticas relativas a las congregaciones de sínodos luteranos, 1890. Lista de agentes especiales para granjas, viviendas e hipotecas, 1890. Diario y estadísticas del agente especial en Alaska, 1890. Listas de nombres y direcciones de prisiones estatales, orfanatos, hospitales, asilos y escuelas para "sordos, mudos y ciegos", 1890-91. Registros relacionados con los programas de fabricación y extracción de carbón, 1890-91. Descripciones de subdivisiones de enumeración, 1890 (11 vols.).

Publicaciones en microfilm: T1224.

Términos de acceso del sujeto: Porter, Robert P. Wright, Carroll D.

29.2.4 Registros del duodécimo censo (1900)

Registros textuales: Registros de nombramientos y personal, 1899-1902. Registro de agentes especiales, 1899-1902 y enumeradores, 1900. Nóminas, 1899-1905. Scrapbooks, 1900. Horarios, formularios e instrucciones, 1900. Descripciones de distritos de enumeración, 1900 (20 vols.).

Publicaciones en microfilm: T1210.

Términos de acceso del sujeto: Merriam, William R.

29.3 REGISTROS ADMINISTRATIVOS DE LA OFICINA DEL CENSO
1860-1990

Historia: Se estableció una Oficina del Censo permanente en el Departamento del Interior mediante una ley del 6 de marzo de 1902 (32 Stat. 51), vigente desde el 1 de julio de 1902. Transferida al Departamento de Comercio y Trabajo recién establecido por la ley del 14 de febrero de 1903 (32 Est. 826). El nombre cambió a Oficina del Censo el 1 de julio de 1903, por orden del Secretario de Comercio y Trabajo formalmente fijada por ley del 31 de agosto de 1954 (68 Stat. 1025).

29.3.1 Registros de la Oficina del Director

Registros textuales: Correspondencia, informes, actas de reuniones, registros legislativos, discursos, publicaciones, estudios estadísticos y otros registros de directores y subdirectores, 1882-1973. Archivos de discursos de la directora asociada Shirley Kallek, 1973-83. Organigramas y memorandos, 1957-73.

Términos de acceso del sujeto: Austin, William Lane Brown, GH Eckler, A. Ross Falkner, Roland P. Grieves, Howard C. Hauser, Philip M. North, Simon Newton Dexter Reed, Virgil D. Steuart, William M. Tiempo y asistencia, Comité especial de Willoughby , William F.

29.3.2 Registros del Comité Asesor del Censo

Historia: Establecido en 1918 para asesorar sobre problemas relacionados con el XIV Censo. Integrado por miembros de la Asociación Estadounidense de Estadística (ASA) y la Asociación Económica Estadounidense. Se convirtió en comité permanente de ASA en diciembre de 1922 y en comité permanente en 1937.

Registros textuales: Actas, resoluciones, informes y correspondencia relacionados con la organización, legislación, personal y publicaciones de la Oficina del Censo, 1919-63.

29.3.3 Registros de la División de Servicios Administrativos y su
antecesores

Historia: Por una ley del 6 de marzo de 1902 (32 Stat. 51), el secretario jefe se desempeñó como director interino en ausencia del director. Se abolió la Oficina del Secretario Principal el 17 de junio de 1941. Sus funciones y las de la División de Nombramientos se asignaron a la División de Servicios Administrativos recientemente establecida.

Registros textuales: Registros del secretario jefe, 1912-50, relacionados con el equipo de la maquinaria del censo, las actividades en tiempo de guerra y los procedimientos para realizar los censos del 14 al 16 (de 1920 a 1940). Registros de la División de Servicios Administrativos, que incluyen correspondencia, memorandos e informes, libros de contabilidad de desembolsos de 1900-53, gastos de 1902-23, 1900-41 y registros del técnico O. Louis Cleven relacionados con la tabulación mecánica, 1917-30. Registros de la División de Nombramientos, incluidos registros de empleados, lista de agentes especiales 1902-4, 1902-7 y otros registros de personal, 1898-1929.

29.3.4 Registros de la División de Publicaciones

Registros textuales: Registros del proyecto de historia de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, 1946. Comunicados de prensa, 1945-69. Recortes de prensa, 1937-66. Publicaciones, 1954-58. Copia en microfilm de las publicaciones del censo de 1792-1917, 1948-49 (32 rollos).

Publicaciones en microfilm: T825.

Imágenes en movimiento (1 rollo): Know Your U.S.A., relacionado con el Censo 16 (1940), y con las operaciones de tarjetas perforadas y tabulación de la Oficina del Censo, 1940. VÉASE TAMBIÉN 29.10.

Grabaciones de sonido (5 ítems): "El tío Sam llamando - Historia del censo de 1940", 1940. VÉASE TAMBIÉN 29.11.

29.3.5 Registros de la División de Campo

Registros textuales: Correspondencia, actas, informes, publicaciones, manuales de capacitación y otros registros, 1944-62. Copias en microfilm de correspondencia con ingenieros de la ciudad y el condado, 1903-40 (22 rollos) y estados concernientes, 1930-50 (7 rollos) y divisiones civiles menores, 1935-40 (27 rollos).

Grabaciones de sonido (3 ítems): Para acompañar las películas de formación que se describen a continuación. VÉASE TAMBIÉN 29.11.

Tiras de película (20 artículos): Capacitación de enumeradores para el Censo Agropecuario de 1959 (F, 6 ítems). Capacitación de enumeradores para los censos de población de 1950 y 1960 y el Censo Agropecuario de 1954 (FS, 14 ítems). VÉASE TAMBIÉN 29.13.

29.3.6 Registros de la División de Geografía

Registros textuales: Archivo sujeto, 1889-1950. Correspondencia, 1906-50. Archivos de tarjetas de referencia sobre la población metropolitana, 1953 en el Censo de manufacturas de 1820, Nueva Jersey, n.d. y sobre datos de población del XVII Censo (1950), n.d. Descripciones de distritos de enumeración, 1910-50 (462 vols.), Con copia en microfilm de las descripciones, 1940-50 (66 rollos). Publicaciones relacionadas con las actividades de mapeo del censo y el origen y uso del tramo censal, 1947-52, y que enumeran las áreas de división civil menor de los EE. UU. Y dan sus derivaciones, 1940-50. Manuales de capacitación para la lectura de mapas censales y fotografías aéreas, y descripción de distritos de enumeración, 1940-50. Hojas de códigos de la División Civil Menor para el censo de población de 1950, 1950.

Mapas (198,129 artículos y 11 rollos de microfilm): Límites regionales y oficinas sobre el terreno, 1953-57 (5 elementos). Mapas distritales de enumeración manuscrita, 1880-1970 (101,065 artículos y 11 rollos de microfilm). Distritos de empadronamiento divididos, 1960 (3500 artículos). Bloques de mapas de esquema estadístico y datos impresos adjuntos para ciudades seleccionadas, compilados para el Censo de Vivienda de 1970 (4.000 elementos) y 1980 (12.800 elementos). Mapas de zonas, 1980 (157 artículos). Mapas del censo (versiones impresas de los archivos del Census TIGER (Sistema de referencia y codificación geográfica integrado topológicamente) de 1990), 1990 (70.000 elementos). Mapas censales decimales publicados, 1860-1971 (1.730 elementos). Distritos de enumeración en reservas indias, ca. 1935 (213 artículos). Atlas estadístico de los Estados Unidos, 1870, 1900, 1914, 1924, (1200 artículos), que muestra datos políticos, sociales y económicos como la población por raza y nacionalidad, estadísticas vitales, riqueza, empleo, grupos discapacitados, agricultura, irrigación y drenaje, distritos electorales, esclavos (1860) y tipos de árboles forestales (1880). Mapas estatales manuscritos que muestran los límites de los condados, 1923-46 (134 artículos). Mapas base publicados del mundo, hemisferio occidental, Estados Unidos, estados individuales y áreas metropolitanas, 1920-70 (268 elementos). Mapas publicados de las divisiones civiles menores de EE. UU., 1930-70 (195 artículos). Mapas, producidos en cooperación con la Oficina de Economía Agrícola, que muestran la ubicación de la industria y el empleo industrial en los Estados Unidos, 1940-41 (126 artículos). Mapa manuscrito y resúmenes gráficos de los datos del censo social y económico, 1930-50 (1699 elementos), incluida la densidad de población, la población por raza, la agricultura y los condados afectados por la sequía en 1934. Mapas de puntos estadísticos manuscritos compilados para el censo agrícola de 1950 ( 581 ítems), incluido un estudio de granjas de unidades múltiples en el sur, 1950. Mapas de la ciudad con tabulación especial, 1950 (10 ítems). Mapas preparados para el Atlas Nacional de los Estados Unidos, 1956 (41 ítems), el proyecto del Atlas del Censo de América Latina, 1953-56 (18 ítems) y el proyecto del Censo de las Américas, 1940-45 (277 ítems). Mapas estadísticos publicados "GE-50" de los Estados Unidos, 1960-86 (110 elementos), que muestran la distribución o el porcentaje de: población general, población étnica, estadounidenses mayores, ingresos, áreas de pobreza, vivienda propia y alquilada, migración, escuela secundaria educación, ventas minoristas, industrias minerales y valor de los productos agrícolas con algunos mapas interarchivos que muestran los límites de los distritos del Congreso. VÉASE TAMBIÉN 29.9.

Registros legibles por máquina (423 conjuntos de datos): Archivo de base geográfica / Codificación de mapa dual independiente (GBF / DIME), 1980: Archivo de área estadística metropolitana estándar. (338 conjuntos de datos). Cinta de información del programa especial, n.d. (52 conjuntos de datos). Cinta de corrección, actualización y extensión, n.d. (33 conjuntos de datos). VÉASE TAMBIÉN 29.12.

Fotografías (60 imágenes): Enumeración de indios navajos, 1930 (NR). VÉASE TAMBIÉN 29.13.

Publicaciones en microfilm: T1224.

Encontrar ayudas: James Berton Rhoads y Charlotte M. Ashby, comps., Inventario preliminar de los registros cartográficos de la Oficina del Censo, PI 103 (1958).

Términos de acceso del sujeto: Samoa Americana Centroamérica Cuba República Dominicana Guam Haití Hawai Zona del Canal de Panamá Puerto Rico Sudamérica Islas Vírgenes.

29.3.7 Registros de la División de servicios al usuario de datos

Registros legibles por máquina (15 conjuntos de datos): Libros de datos de ciudad-condado, 1952, 1956, 1962, 1967, 1972, 1977, 1983 libros de datos consolidados del condado, 1944-77 y libros de datos consolidados de la ciudad, 1947-77, todos con documentación de respaldo. VÉASE TAMBIÉN 29.12.

29.3.8 Registros de la División de Sistemas Financieros y Administrativos

Registros textuales: Estudios e informes de gestión, 1955-1971. Informes de gestión, 1966-80.

29.4 REGISTROS DEL DESPACHO DEL DIRECTOR ADJUNTO DE
ESTÁNDARES ESTADÍSTICOS
1850-1990

Historia: Se originó en el puesto de quinto jefe de estadística designado para el 12º Censo (1900) para fortalecer la confianza en los resultados del censo dentro de las comunidades científicas y estadísticas. División de Métodos y Resultados establecida por el quinto jefe de estadística, 1899. Consolidada con la División de Publicaciones para convertirse en División de Revisión y Resultados, a partir del 1 de julio de 1904. Se estableció una División de Investigación Estadística separada el 11 de agosto de 1933, y se suspendió en abril 1 de abril de 1943. El puesto de Asistente de Estadística del Director establecido el 4 de abril de 1933 cambió a Subdirector de Normas Estadísticas, el 4 de abril de 1949. Se desarrollaron normas y procedimientos para el muestreo, la recopilación de estadísticas y la publicación y evaluación de datos censales.

29.4.1 Registros generales

Registros textuales: Informes anuales, 1899-1942. Informes mensuales del secretario jefe al director y del director al secretario de Comercio, 1912-56, 1961-66. Cartas circulares, 1928-55. Registros de viajes, documentos y reuniones, 1934-1949. Informe de un viaje de campo a Hawai, 1948. Correspondencia con el Secretario de Comercio, 1935-43. Registros del abogado asesor Robert H. Holley sobre legislación, 1936-1952. Gráficos de sujetos del censo, 1938-47. Correspondencia miscelánea, 1900-32. Muestras en blanco de programas censales, 1850-1950. Archivos metodológicos de censos extranjeros, 1930-1959. Archivos del panel de consultores estadísticos, 1954-1969. Archivos de reuniones públicas locales, 1974-77. Expedientes de consultores extranjeros, 1966-76. Informes sobre la gestión del papeleo y estudios que miden la eficacia administrativa en el censo de 1970, 1955-1974. Actas del Comité de Modernización de las Prácticas de Encuestas, 1982-84.

Términos de acceso del sujeto: Congreso Interamericano de Municipios Willcox, Walter F.

29.4.2 Registros del jefe de estadística

Registros textuales: Registros generales, incluida la correspondencia, informes de conferencias y estudios, relacionados con agencias gubernamentales y privadas, 1910-40. Registros relacionados con las relaciones dentro de la oficina ("Memorandos y notas"), 1905-68. Correspondencia y otros registros de Joseph A. Hill, jefe de la División de Investigación Estadística y sus predecesores, 1910-40. Correspondencia del agente especial Laverne Beales, 1915-19. Correspondencia de la División de Investigación Estadística, 1935-43. Registros relacionados con los proyectos de la Administración Federal de Ayuda para Emergencias (FERA), 1934-35, y con la Administración de Proyectos de Trabajo (WPA), 1936-39. Registros del jefe de estadística Calvert L. Dedrick, 1935-42, y del jefe de estadística interino Morris H. Hansen, 1940-43. Horarios, formularios e instrucciones, 1900-40. Registros relacionados con la publicidad, 1930-1940.

Términos de acceso del sujeto: Comité Central de Vivienda Junta Central de Estadística Octavo Congreso Científico Americano Instituto Internacional de Estadística Rossiter, William Sidney.

29.4.3 Registros relacionados con censos

Registros textuales: Registros relacionados con el censo de negocios de 1948, 1944-53. Registros del 16 ° Censo (1940), incluidos informes de unidades agrícolas, registros de 1940-41 del programa de monografías, análisis de costos de 1940-41 por estado, informes de progreso semanales de 1940-41, 1940 y procedimientos utilizados en el 15 ° Censo (1930 ), 1940. Registros del 17 ° Censo (1950), incluidos los registros generales de la División de Informes Estadísticos, formas geográficas y correspondencia de 1943-60, cronologías de 1939-49, 1946-52 y registros mantenidos por Morris B. Ullman, jefe de Estadística División de Informes, 1948-1953. Registros del XVIII Censo (1960), incluida una copia en microfilm de correspondencia, informes y otros registros recopilados por la División de Servicios al Usuario de Datos, 1960 (27 rollos) 1960 Archivos metodológicos, 1955-65 y materiales bibliográficos, n.d. Registros del XIX Censo (1970), incluidos comunicados de prensa, formularios y manuales, 1967-70 y registros de planificación del censo, 1952-75. Registros del vigésimo censo (1980), incluidas copias en microfichas de los mapas del censo de 1980, resúmenes de población y vivienda del censo de 1976-80 (4200 elementos), datos de fabricación y población del censo de 1980-83 (6.300 elementos), 1943-84 (6600 elementos). ) índice de direcciones de tramos de calles, 1980 (250 ítems) e informes del programa de estadísticas de vecindarios, 1980 (450 ítems). Registros del Censo 21 (1990), que consisten en copias en microfichas del índice de unidades de vivienda enumeradas por el censo decenal de 1990, 1990 (5.000 artículos).

Imágenes en movimiento (14 carretes): Películas de capacitación para enumeradores para el 16º Censo (1940), 1939-40 (4 carretes). Serie de televisión educativa nacional sobre el censo de 1960, que ilustra la historia y el trabajo de la Oficina del Censo, 1960 (10 carretes). VÉASE TAMBIÉN 29.10.

29.4.4 Registros relacionados con el prorrateo y las estadísticas vitales

Registros textuales: Registros relacionados con la distribución de distritos electorales, 1900-50. Correspondencia relacionada con la transferencia de la División de Estadísticas Vitales al Servicio de Salud Pública, 1932-38. Registros generales relacionados con las estadísticas vitales, 1936-1946. Formularios, instrucciones y publicaciones, 1922-45.

29.5 REGISTROS DEL DIRECTOR ADJUNTO DE CAMPOS DEMOGRÁFICOS
1870-1994

29.5.1 Registros de la División de Agricultura

Registros textuales: Libros de recuerdos, 1900-68. Hojas de códigos de la División Civil Menor para los Censos de Agricultura de 1930, 1935, 1940 y 1945, 1930-45. Archivos de planificación y especificaciones para el censo agrícola de 1969, 1965-74.

29.5.2 Registros de la División de Población y Vivienda

Registros textuales: Registros de la División de Población, 1961-69, y de Edwin D. Goldfield, coordinador del programa, 1947-56. Libros de recuerdos y correspondencia relativa a censos de vivienda, cuerpos religiosos de 1940, matrimonio y divorcio de 1926, 1922-29 y población, 1920-40. Tabulaciones del censo de 1930 de distritos de enumeración, razas y grupos étnicos, indios, desempleo y ocupaciones, n.d. Tabulaciones de empleados del servicio doméstico, 1974-77. Registros de planificación, censo de población de 1950, censo de población de 1950 y 1970, 1961-69.

Registros legibles por máquina (2,455 conjuntos de datos): Muestras de uso público de los censos decenales de población y vivienda, 1940, 1950 (40 conjuntos de datos) y 1960 (32 conjuntos de datos). Del Censo Decenal de Población y Vivienda, 1970: primer recuento, archivos de resumen A y B (102 conjuntos de datos) 4.o recuento, archivos de resumen B y C (9 conjuntos de datos) 5.o recuento, archivos de resumen A, B y C (62 conjuntos de datos) Muestra de uso público de Puerto Rico (3 conjuntos de datos) enumeración maestra lista de distritos (9 conjuntos de datos) características del vecindario 5% y 15% de muestras de uso público (22 conjuntos de datos) y estatales 5% y 15% de muestras de uso público (46 datos conjuntos). Cinta de información del programa especial, n.d. (52 conjuntos de datos). Cinta de corrección, actualización y extensión, n.d. (33 conjuntos de datos). Del Censo Decenal de Población y Vivienda, 1980: Resumen de archivos de cinta 1A (57 conjuntos de datos), 1D [Datos del distrito del 98º Congreso] (51 conjuntos de datos), 2C (3 conjuntos de datos), 3A (57 conjuntos de datos), 3B [ Datos del código postal] (4 conjuntos de datos), 3D [Datos del distrito del 98º Congreso] (50 conjuntos de datos) y 3F [Datos del distrito escolar] (50 conjuntos de datos) y Ley Pública 94-171 (51 conjuntos de datos). Del Censo Decenal de Población y Vivienda, 1990: Resumen de archivos de cinta 1A (94 conjuntos de datos), 1B (487 conjuntos de datos), 1C (3 conjuntos de datos), 1D (51 conjuntos de datos), 2A (1 conjunto de datos), 2B (123 conjuntos de datos), 2C (48 conjuntos de datos), 3A (266 conjuntos de datos), 3B (50 conjuntos de datos), 3C (8 conjuntos de datos), 3D (51 conjuntos de datos) y 4C (286 conjuntos de datos) Puerto Rico Archivos de cinta de resumen 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B y 3 (13 conjuntos de datos) Archivos de cinta de resumen 1A, 1B y 2 (5 conjuntos de datos) Ley pública 94-171 (62 conjuntos de datos) lugar de trabajo (52 conjuntos de datos) conjuntos) Archivo de datos de resumen de Igualdad de Oportunidades en el Empleo (EEO) (52 conjuntos de datos) y Archivo de Cinta de Resumen de Materias 19 [la población de mayor edad de los Estados Unidos] (5 conjuntos de datos). Encuesta anual de vivienda (AHS), 1973-83 (150 conjuntos de datos). Todos los conjuntos de datos con documentación de respaldo. VÉASE TAMBIÉN 29.12.

Términos de acceso del sujeto: Taeuber, Conrad.

29.5.3 Registros de la División de Encuestas Demográficas

Registros textuales: Registros de planificación y desarrollo para las encuestas de población actuales, 1890-1973. Registros relacionados con encuestas de recreación, 1960-61 finanzas familiares, 1963-64 consumo 1962- 63 personas mayores, 1962-67 trabajo, 1965-66 estudio de tiempo de vuelo de piloto, 1966-67 y salud en California, 1952-61 y Hawai 1958-1959. Estudios de inmigración, 1920-60. Clasificaciones de ocupación e industria, 1870-1950. Encuestas de grupos de población, pesca y caza, construcción de viviendas y oportunidades económicas, 1946-71.

Registros legibles por máquina (164 conjuntos de datos): Encuesta de población actual (CPS), 1973, 1975-1993 (163 conjuntos de datos). Estudio de dominio del idioma inglés, 1982, (1 conjunto de datos), con documentación de respaldo. VÉASE TAMBIÉN 29.12.

29.5.4 Registros de la División de Territorios, Insulares y
Estadísticas extranjeras

Registros textuales: Expediente de asunto general, 1935-42. Registros relacionados con los censos territoriales 15 (1930), 16 (1940) y 17 (1950), 1929-50. Libros de recuerdos, 1920-52. Registros relativos a los censos de Puerto Rico, 1910, 1920, 1935 Alaska, 1910 y Filipinas, 1910, 1938. Registros relacionados con la liquidación de la división, 1941-43.

Términos de acceso del sujeto: Strahorn, Margaret A. Williams, Joel.

29.5.5 Registros relacionados con el censo de desempleo de 1937

Registros textuales: Registros generales, 1937-38. Correspondencia, 1937-39. Registros de supervisores de campo, 1937-38. Libros de recuerdos y recortes de prensa, 1937-38. Encuestas de desempleo, 1938-1942. Estudios de la WPA, 1938-1946. Registros del proyecto de desempleo, 1937-38.

Imágenes en movimiento (1 rollo): Contando a los desempleados, explicación del censo de desempleo de 1937, 1937. VÉASE TAMBIÉN 29.10.

Términos de acceso del sujeto: Biggers, John D. McEwen, G. Hiram Cowling, Herford T.Rhodes, Thomas B.

29.6 EXPEDIENTES DEL DIRECTOR ADJUNTO DE ÁMBITOS ECONÓMICOS
1890-1996

29.6.1 Registros de la División Comercial

Registros textuales: Registros relacionados con el Censo de Distribución de 1929, 1929-33 y con los Censos de Negocios de 1939, 1948 y 1954, 1933-54.

29.6.2 Registros de la División de Estadísticas de Comercio Exterior

Historia: Establecido por Orden 111 del Secretario de Comercio, 1 de mayo de 1941, asumiendo funciones relacionadas con la recopilación y compilación de estadísticas de comercio exterior que anteriormente realizaba la Oficina de Comercio Exterior y Doméstico (VER RG 151).

Registros textuales: Tabulaciones y compilaciones, 1914-38. Correspondencia e informes, 1933-1966. Correspondencia de la sucursal de exportación, 1946-51. Archivos de la oficina del director J. Edward Ely, 1934-52. Horarios y cambios de horario, 1906-55. Registros de la Sección de Clasificación y Códigos, 1937-50. Archivos de educación, 1946.

Registros legibles por máquina (134 conjuntos de datos): Banco de datos de importación y exportación anual, 1964-93 (124 conjuntos de datos), con documentación de respaldo. Archivos de concordancia de importaciones y exportaciones, 1983-87 (10 conjuntos de datos), con documentación de respaldo. VÉASE TAMBIÉN 29.12.

29.6.3 Registros de la División de Gobiernos

Registros textuales: Archivos de la oficina del oficial legal Robert H. Holley, 1942-44. Registros relacionados con las leyes de impuestos e ingresos estatales, 1936-43. Registros relacionados con el Comité Asesor de Estadísticas de Gobiernos Locales y Estatales, 1948-63. Registros relacionados con encuestas electorales, 1939-47. Archivos de encuestas relacionados con la planificación y la política económica estatal y local, 1930-51. Registros del Comité Asesor del Censo sobre estadísticas de gobiernos estatales y locales, 1948-75. Informes y enmiendas de inventario de vertederos abiertos, 1980-83.

Registros legibles por máquina (147 conjuntos de datos): Archivos de datos sobre empleo y finanzas A, B y C, del censo de gobiernos de 1972 (29 conjuntos de datos). Paros laborales y unidades de negociación, archivos de finanzas y archivos de empleo, del Censo de Gobiernos de 1977 (19 conjuntos de datos). Datos financieros, 1967, 1970-79 (11 conjuntos de datos) y estadísticas de empleo, 1979 (1 conjunto de datos), de encuestas anuales de gobiernos. Encuesta sobre ingresos y participación en programas (SIPP), 1987-88 (32 conjuntos de datos). Sistema de datos de premios de asistencia federal (FAADS), enero de 1982-junio de 1996 (55 conjuntos de datos), con documentación de respaldo. VÉASE TAMBIÉN 29.12.

29.6.4 Registros de la División de Industria

Registro textual: Archivos temáticos del Jefe de la División de Industria, Maxwell H. Conklin, 1944-60. Correspondencia general, 1945-53. Correspondencia y otros registros relacionados con censos de manufacturas, 1948-53 un censo de industria con fines de defensa, 1950-56 y censos económicos de 1958, 1963 y 1967. Horarios, formularios e instrucciones para censos de fabricantes, 1890-1947 y de industrias minerales, 1939. Libros de recuerdos relacionados con manufacturas, 1909-41 minas y canteras, 1921-31 industria eléctrica, 1912-37 madera y industria maderera, 1908-11, 1943-44 industria del algodón, 1924-46 industria de confitería y chocolate, 1928-45 y otros, 1927-33. Libros de recuerdos que contienen estadísticas sobre grasas y aceites, 1923-1933 cueros, pieles y cueros, 1925-1930 semillas de algodón y productos de semillas de algodón, 1916-1941 y molienda de trigo y harina, 1923-25. Actas del Comité Técnico de Clasificación Industrial Uniforme, 1951 -52 y el Comité de Áreas Estadísticas, 1947-50. Estudios económicos interindustriales, 1947-55. Archivo histórico sobre el censo de manufacturas de 1947, 1945-48. Registros relacionados con el Censo de Manufacturas e Industrias Minerales de 1954. Registros relacionados con la encuesta de fabricantes de 1966, 1966-1976.

29.6.5 Registros de la División de Estudios Económicos

Registros textuales: Registros relacionados con los censos económicos de 1967, 1965-70. Memorándums de procedimientos para el censo económico de 1977, 1976-82.

Registros legibles por máquina (271 conjuntos de datos): Archivos de tabulación cruzada de los censos de comercio minorista, comercio mayorista, servicios seleccionados, industrias minerales y manufacturas, 1972 y de la Encuesta anual de manufacturas, 1976 (39 conjuntos de datos), con documentación de respaldo. Patrones comerciales del condado, 1974-85, 1987-88 (227 conjuntos de datos), con documentación de respaldo. Encuesta anual de construcción: encuesta de inicio, venta y finalización de viviendas, 1990-94 (5 conjuntos de datos). VÉASE TAMBIÉN 29.12.

29.6.6 Registros de la División de Fabricación y Construcción

Registros textuales: Copia en microfilm de las listas del censo de manufacturas de 1947 y memorandos numerados sobre el censo de manufacturas de 1947, 1947 (440 rollos). Archivos de planificación y gestión relacionados con la encuesta de informes industriales, 1960-77. Records relating to the 1972 census of manufactures and minerals industries, 1971-75. Procedures memorandums for the annual survey of manufactures, 1960-74. Survey project files for the annual survey of manufactures, 1949-76. Procedures manual for the Current Industrial Survey, 1965-68.

29.7 RECORDS OF THE DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC INFORMATION
1890-1980

Motion Pictures (24 reels): Theatrical trailer on 1950 population census, 1950 (1 reel). Test-mail census, n.d. (1 reel). Television public information films and spots on 1959 Census of Agriculture and 1960 population census (7 reels), and on 1980 population census (15 reels), 1959-80. SEE ALSO 29.10.

Sound Recordings (5 items): Public information sound recordings, 1959-60. SEE ALSO 29.11.

Photographs (122 images): 16th Census, 1940 (C). SEE ALSO 29.13.

Photographs and Lantern Slides (99 images): Tabulating machines used by the Census Bureau, 1890-1950 (CM). SEE ALSO 29.13.

29.8 CENSUS SCHEDULES AND SUPPLEMENTARY RECORDS
1790-1993

29.8.1 Decennial population schedules

Registros textuales: Population schedules, 1st-9th Censuses, 1790- 1870 (3,100 vols.). Microfilm copy of population schedules, 1st- 17th Censuses, 1790-1950 (37,770 rolls). Manuscript slave schedules, 7th and 8th Censuses, 1850, 1860. Photostatic copies of population schedules, 1800-30 (1,150 vols.). Schedules of a special census on Indians, 1880. Fragmentary schedules, 11th Census, 1890. Territorial population schedules for Minnesota, 1857-58 Arizona, n.d. and Seminole County, OK, 1907.

Restricciones específicas: As specified in an exchange of letters between the Director of the Census and the Archivist of the United States, August 26 and October 10, 1952, and codified in 44 U.S.C. 2108(b), population census schedules are closed for 72 years from the date of the census.

Publicaciones en microfilm: For listings of available microfilm publications of population schedules, please consult the National Archives microfilm publications catalog for the desired census. The censuses of the period 1790-1890 are represented in a single publication, while there is a separate catalog for each of the censuses of 1900, 1910, and 1920.

Encontrar ayudas: W. Neil Franklin, comp., Federal Population and Mortality Census Schedules, 1790-1890, in the National Archives and the States, SL 24 (1971, revised 1986, and reissued on microfiche only). Population Schedules, 1800-1870: Volume Index to Counties and Major Cities, SL 8 (1951). Debra L. Newman, comp., List of Free Black Heads of Families in the First Census of the United States, 1790, SL 34 (1973).

29.8.2 Nonpopulation schedules

Textual Records (844 rolls of microfilm): Schedules, 1850-80, consisting of agriculture schedules for MN, NV, PA, and WY (63 rolls) industry schedules for NJ (2 rolls) manufactures schedules for PA (9 rolls) mortality schedules for AZ, CO, DC, GA, KS, KY, LA, MI, NJ, NC, SC, TN, UT, and VT (44 rolls) nonpopulation schedules for DC, FL, GA, IL, IA, KS, KY, LA, MD (Baltimore and Baltimore County only), MI, MT, NE, NC, OH, SC, TN, TX, VT, VA, and WA (703 rolls) and social statistics schedules for PA (23 rolls).

29.8.3 Miscellaneous nonpopulation schedules and supplementary
records

Registros textuales: Census of Manufactures, 1820, 1932, and 1934. Microfilm copy of Census of Manufactures, 1929, 1935 (834 rolls). Agriculture schedules for the Virgin Islands, 1917 AK, GU, HI, and PR, 1920 and AK, GU, HI, PR, Samoa, and VI, 1930. General farm schedules, 1920, for McLean County, IL Jackson County, MI Carbon County, MT Santa Fe County, NM and Wilson County, TN. Schedules for tobacco, 1910 fruits and nuts, 1930 horticultural establishments, 1930 drainage and irrigation, 1930 business, 1929, 1935 and religious organizations, 1926-28. Schedules of a special census, 1885. Schedules of mines, agriculture, commerce, and manufacturing, 1840. Special municipal population enumerations for Hickory, NC, 1932 Monticello, North Vernon, Petersburg, and Rensselaer, IN, and Johnsonburg, PA, 1933 Alexander City and Clanton, AL, 1935 Crestwood, Rock Falls, and Sterling, IL, 1936 and Lincolnwood, Markham, and Riverside, IL, and Poplar Bluff, MO, 1938. Spanish-language population, social, and agriculture schedules of a special census of Puerto Rico, 1935-36. Typewritten copy of a 1789 tax list, Lincoln County, VA (now KY), n.d. Statistics derived from a New York state census, 1845. Abstracts of decennial population returns, 1791-1841. Digest of manufactures, 1823. Planning and management files relating to the 1980 decennial census of the U.S. territories, 1967-87. Records relating to the training and education pertaining to the 1990 decennial census, 1990. Statistical publications relating to the 1990 decennial census of the U.S. territories, 1992-93.

Restricciones específicas: Restrictions described UNDER 29.8.1 are applicable to these records.

29.9 CARTOGRAPHIC RECORDS (GENERAL)

29.10 MOTION PICTURES (GENERAL)

SEE UNDER 29.3.4, 29.4.3, 29.5.5, and 29.7.

29.11 SOUND RECORDINGS (GENERAL)

SEE UNDER 29.3.4, 29.3.5, and 29.7.

29.12 MACHINE-READABLE RECORDS (GENERAL)

SEE UNDER 29.3.6, 29.3.7, 29.5.2, 29.5.3, 29.6.2, 29.6.3, and 29.6.5.

29.13 STILL PICTURES (GENERAL)

SEE Photographs UNDER 29.3.6 and 29.7. SEE Photographs and Lantern Slides UNDER 29.7. SEE Filmstrips UNDER 29.3.5.

Nota bibliográfica: versión web basada en Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States. Compilado por Robert B. Matchette et al. Washington, DC: Administración Nacional de Archivos y Registros, 1995.
3 volúmenes, 2428 páginas.

Esta versión web se actualiza periódicamente para incluir registros procesados ​​desde 1995.


Tuscumbia history in peril

Please bear with me one more non gardening post while I get on my soapbox. While driving around Tuscumbia taking pictures of some of the historical homes in Tuscumbia for a 2012 calendar and note card series I’m working on, I couldn’t help but noticed a few of our old homes are in sad shape. Some of these old homes survived Sherman’s burning march to the sea, but may not survive modern neglect. Being around the area history, whether architecture or musical daily, one tends not to realize how much richness we have.

Tuscumbia Railway Co. also called the Hunt house is an 1870’s Greek Revival farmhouse. This house is on 4 th street just west of Hook Street. Once the site of the Tuscumbia Railway Co., the home’s attributes include “boxcar” siding which is partially removed or covered in insulation wrap, and a columned portico which used to have a second floor landing. When I was a child we used to deliver milk at this house, and it was a grand home. Some one started remodeling the house years ago and abandoned the project when the owners decided that they didn’t want to live in town. This home was featured in This Old House segment “Save this old house” in April of 2004. Seven years later it’s still in grave peril.

Coons (Steele-Armistead) House — this house is located at 406 Main St. It is a raised cottage style home, a type normally found along the coastlines of the southeast. During the Civil War Jeffrey Forrest, brother of Nathan Bedford Forrest was brought to the home after being wounded in the battle of Tuscumbia. It is featured in the Historic Tuscumbia Walking & Driving Tour brochure published by the Colbert County Tourism & Convention Bureau.

House on Main Street — this house is next door on the north side of the Coons House. The home was almost saved as the owners started remodeling and the husband fell off of a ladder while working on it and suffered many injuries. Work ceased after the accident.

House on Fifth St. – I don’t know anything about this house. It is a half block west of the Tuscumbia Depot. It was a darling little house at one time. Again it looks like work started on the home and stopped. Two work horses can be seen on the front porch and a clump of plastic paper on one of the valleys.

There are others, but these are just a few that really stood out through my camera lens. Check out Remember Tuscumbia on Facebook for more history of our unique town.


Tuscumbia II YTB-762 - History

A Short History of the Alabama Division 1897-1995
by Elizabeth Griswold Black

Historians agree that great movements are the result of many forces working together yet there must be one person to bring these forces into effective action. This was true of the organization of the United Daughters of the Confederacy in Alabama.

The force was an intense interest in everything pertaining to the Confederacy and the heroic men in gray. The person was Miss Sallie Cargill Jones.

The Confederate Veterans, themselves, desired that the cause for which they fought should not be buried in ignominy. The Confederate Veterans at Camden, Alabama, requested Miss Sallie Jones to organize a society of Daughters of the Confederacy. They chose wisely and Miss Sallie Jones set to work promptly. She obtained a charter dated March 26, 1896 and the Alabama Charter Chapter No. 36 came into existence. At the first full meeting, May 7, it was announced that a chapter at Selma has been chartered. The Alabama Division was in the making.

It was necessary that seven chapters receive charters before a state division could be formed. When this requirement was met, Miss Jones requested the members of the chapters to meet in Montgomery "for the purpose of perfecting a state organization". Accordingly, the first start convention took place in the Cradle of the Confederacy on April 8 and 9, 1897.

The seven chapters represented at the organizational convention were: Alabama Charter Chapter No. 36, Camden, Miss Sallie Jones, President Selma Chapter No. 53, Mrs. E. W. Pettus, President Admiral Semmes Chapter No. 57, Auburn, Mrs. A. F. McKissisk, President Tuscaloosa Chapter No. 64, Mrs. Ellen Peter Bryce, President Sophie Bibb Chapter No. 65, Montgomery, Mrs. John A. Kirkpatrick, President Pelham Chapter No. 67, Birmingham, Mrs. Joseph F. Johnston, President and the Cradle of the Confederacy Chapter No. 94, Montgomery, Mrs. J. D. Beale, President.

Enthusiasm ran high. The Montgomery City Hall was decorated with red and white bunting with the Stars and Bars hanging over the assembly.

According to the Minutes of the Proceedings of the First Annual Meeting, United Daughters of the Confederacy, Held at Montgomery, Ala., April 8 and 9, 1897, a beautiful prayer was rendered by the Rev. Dr. George B. Eager. Mrs. Evelyn S. Fitzpatrick delivered the address of Welcome, stating: "I bid you welcome to the birthplace of an infant nation which illuminated the world and left its name and fame writ in mortal fires across heaven s firmament."

Miss Sallie Jones, Camden, organizer of the first chapter in the state addressed the assembly and proposed the organization of the Alabama Division. She explained the objects and purposed of the organization: one, to preserve the names and deeds of the heroic Confederate soldiers for future generations, and, second, to see that the worthy survivors do not suffer for comforts of life.

At Miss Jones invitation Mrs. J. Jefferson Thomas of Atlanta, Ga., Secretary General UDC, Mrs. John A. Kirkpatrick, President of the Sophie Bibb Chapter, Montgomery, and Mrs. J. D. Beale, President of the Cradle of the Confederacy Chapter, Montgomery, took seats upon the rostrum and assisted in the organization.

Officers were elected, with Miss Sallie Cargill Jones being unanimously elected President Mrs. William Armistead Gayle, Vice President Mrs. Joseph F. Johnston, Second Vice President Mrs. Rose Garland Lewis, Corresponding Secretary Mrs. Alfred Bethea, Recording Secretary Mrs. A. W. Cawthorne, Treasurer, Mrs. Margaret Smyth McKissick, Registrar and Mrs. General Gorgas, Historian. Reports from the chapters were read.

Mrs. Alfred Bethea, for the Sophie Bibb Chapter, reported 140 members. Among the work of this chapter was the placing at the Capitol of a brass star where President Davis stood when he was inaugurated as President of the Confederate States setting aside January 19th, General Lee s Birthday, to be observed, and compilation of facts and personal reminiscences from different Veterans to be preserved in a book for future reference.

Mrs. R. M. Collins, Secretary of the Cradle of the Confederacy Chapter No. 94, states that: "The first desire of our chapter has been, and is, to buy the house occupied by President Davis and his family during the first part of the war. We favor the Alabama Division buying the house and moving it to a suitable place in the city and using it as a Library and Museum for the preservation of Confederate relics." One hundred fifteen members were reported on roll. The Cradle Chapter also expressed a desire to have a Soldier s Home established in the State and to aid in securing the Rouss Battle Abbey.

Mrs. McKissick, from the Auburn Chapter, reported that they were helping to care for the graves of 110 soldiers buried in Auburn. The chapter, Admiral Semmes Chapter No. 57, proposed to have a chapter house soon.

Mrs. Joseph F. Johnson reported that the Birmingham Chapter Pelham Chapter No. 67, has 63 members and that they are most interested in helping disabled Confederate Veterans.

Mrs. Cawthorne stated that the Selma Chapter No. 53, with 70 enthusiastic members, proposes to do their share of the General Work.

Miss Sallie Jones said, in behalf of the Camden Chapter," it was the Chapter organization in the state and has already given aid to the Soldier s Home at Richmond, Va."

A letter from the Tuscaloosa Chapter No. 64, showed that the ladies of the Classic City were alive in the noble movement.

A committee was appointed to frame a Constitution and a set of Bylaws for the Alabama Division.

The convention chose as Division Work the purchase of the First White House of the Confederacy, home of President Jefferson Davis during his residency in Montgomery. A committee was set up to investigate and report at the next convention. Mrs. Johnston suggested that the Daughters should try to secure the Rouss Battle Abbey for Alabama. This was received with enthusiasm.

At five o clock, at the home of Mrs. Beale, on McDonough Street, the Daughters and Veterans were entertained by the newly chartered Cradle of the Confederacy Chapter. The tone was set for hard work and ambitious undertakings to be tempered by elegant social affairs.

On Friday, April 9, 1897, a discussion of school histories grew out of a question as to whether or not there was a truthful school history in print.

Committees reported and committees were appointed. Mrs. Alfred Bethea brought up the question of a permanent headquarters for the Alabama Division by moving that Montgomery be made the permanent domicile. After discussion it was agreed that Montgomery should be the domicile.

An appreciative and informative Courtesy Committee Report was read and The First Annual Convention came to a close.

At the second annual convention, in Birmingham, there were thirty-three delegates present representing additional towns of Eufaula, Opelika, Tuscumbia, Huntsville, and Athens. From this dynamic beginning, the Alabama Division has become an organization of 77 chapters from all parts of Alabama with some 2,100 members.

The first order of work to preserve the First White House as a Winnie Davis Memorial Library or a Confederate Memorial Hall proved to be too ambitious. At the sixth annual convention it was voted to give up the undertaking. However, the White House Association of Alabama had been formed (including many UDC ladies). Today, the First White House is a notable museum that preserved the Jefferson Davis relics and gives an authentic picture of the early days of the Confederacy.

The daughters turned to other projects. A resolution was made to erect suitable monuments to commemorate the deeds of valor of the Confederate Soldier. It was decided that the first Monument be placed on the battlefield at Shiloh. The Shiloh Monument was unveiled May 7, 1907, when the convention was held at the Tri-Cities (Florence, Sheffield, and Tuscumbia). The Alabama Monument at Shiloh was the first to be erected by any Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The site of the next Monument was Gettysburg, chosen in 1908. Also a memorial window would be placed in Blanford Church near Petersburg, Virginia. The Tiffany window was unveiled in June of 1910. During the years 1910-1914, many monuments were erected. The Mobile Chapter (Electra Semmes Colston No 193) made possible, in 1900, the erection of a beautiful marble statue with tablet and figure of bronze and was unveiled in memory of Admiral Raphael Semmes. Between 1903-1909, some chapters joined with the Ladies Memorial Association to erect Monuments, or shafts, in Florence, Eufaula and Greensboro. In 1904, Mrs. Anna Drake Robertson, member of the Huntsville Chapter, gave a beautiful memorial shaft. The Virginia Clay Clopton Chapter unveiled a handsome monument with many veterans participating. Also the Pelham Chapter of Birmingham erected a tall shaft in Capital (Wilson) Park. In July, 1908, Troy has an inspiring ceremony for the unveiling of a Monument to the Confederate Soldiers of Pike County.

The year, 1909, was a banner one in the erection of monuments by individual chapters. Among the many were these examples: a handsome monument was erected by the Clayton Chapter in a park secured from the city. The John H. Forney Chapter erected a monument in Jacksonville Joseph E. Johnson Chapter in Athens the Leonard Calloway Pratt Chapter erected a monument in the Courthouse Square in Centreville. A monument was erected by the Tuskegee Chapter the Sumter Chapter of Livingston honored the heroes of their county and in 1911 the Tuscumbia Chapter unveiled a beautiful monument in memory of the Colbert Soldiers. (These are only a few.)

In 1912, the Selma Chapter placed a boulder to mark the site of the Battle of Selma and the Confederate Arsenal. The Nathan Bedford Forrest Chapter, Belle Mina, commemorated the surrender of the Federals to General Forrest near Athens.

A number of historic places in the first Capital of the Confederacy were marked by Montgomery Chapters. Among them, the spot where Jefferson Davis stood when taking the oath of office was marked with a brass star with inscription: "placed by the Sophie Bibb Chapter, Daughters of the Confederacy, on the spot where Jefferson Davis stood when inaugurated Pres. Of C.S.A. Feb. 18, 1861."

The Cradle Chapter unveiled a table in the Exchange Hotel, May 12, 1912, to mark the Confederate Headquarters. The Amelia Gayle Gorgas Tablet was presented to the University of Alabama Library, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, on May 30, 1916. Mrs. Chappell Cory, Division President, and Mrs. Peter Bryce worked to place a Boulder to mark the site of the old University burned by Federal Raiders and to honor the cadets who defended the University. Preceding the unveiling ceremony, May 13, 1914, Alabama Division President, Mrs. L. M. Bashinsky, and Dr. G. H. Denny, President of the University, conferred 150 Honorary Degrees on these student heroes. Twenty-five were present. (In 1994, the Alabama Division and the Tuscaloosa Chapters are helping to move a beautiful Tiffany Memorial window to a new section of the University Library).

In 1914, approximately, the Admiral Semmes Chapter unveiled two tablets and three Boulders marking spots at Auburn University. The Andrew Barry Moore Chapter erected a Boulder in Marion to honor Nicola Marshall, designer of the Stars and Bars.

Alabama s part in marking the Jefferson Davis Highway was of interest in the 1920s and 1930s, with Mrs. B. B. Ross and Mrs. C. S. McDowell, Directors. In 1982, the Highway was re-established with Highway Signs, Mrs. Tom Neville, Alabama Director.

These are only a few of the beautiful memorials that Alabama Daughters have placed. Those not mentioned, because of limited space and time, are as magnificent as these.

In 1901, the Alabama Daughters expressed appreciation of an Act of Congress making appropriation for the re-interment of Confederate Soldiers around Washington, D.C. in a section of Arlington Cemetery. (This year, 1994, the Alabama Division President, Mrs. C. Wayne Shell and Treasurer, Mrs. John G. King, represented Alabama at the Re-dedication of the restored Confederate Monument).

The Bronze Cross of Honor Program was begun soon after the organization of the Alabama Division and by May, 1901, more than twelve-hundred Alabama Veterans had been decorated. At the convention in Tuscaloosa, 1903, Colonel Jefferson Manly Falkner was introduced. He was a distinguished gentleman and donor of the Soldiers Home at Mt. Creek. He spoke of plans for the Home which became a haven for needy Confederate Veterans and their wives and widows over the years more than 600 called these cottages home. The Daughters were proud to contribute in many ways to bring cheer and comfort to these brave and fascinating men. They are buried in two cemeteries with Confederate markers, one inscription reading, "Chief Scout to General Forrest, 105 years of age."

In 1957, the Alabama Division began efforts to create a Confederate Memorial Park through an act of the State Legislature. Through united efforts of the UDC, Sons of Confederate Veterans and Chilton County citizens, on September 18, 1966, the site of the Old Soldier s Home became Confederate Memorial Park. In 1971 it came under the control of the Alabama Historical Commission, and is listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage and Alabama Historical Places. A log cabin museum at the entrance of the park is devoted to Confederate Mementos of the Soldiers Home.

The Jefferson Manly Falkner Chapter No. 2262 and a monument stone placed at the Park perpetuate the name of Colonel Falkner. Memorial Day Commemoration is held annually. The museum is informative and the Alabama Children of the Confederacy enjoy events in the Chapel and at the restored Soldiers Home Post Office. The Confederate Park reflects the Benevolent Purpose of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

At the convention in May, 1909, at Huntsville, through the efforts of the Division President, the Confederate Flag captured by the Fourth Ohio Cavalry at Selma, was presented to the convention by the Fourth Ohio Cavalry Association. Other Confederate Flags were later returned in such manner. Alabama has a formidable collection of Confederate Flags in the process of restoration at the Alabama Archives.

In 1910, the four Montgomery Chapters were hostesses and the Convention meetings were held in the Alabama House of Representatives. "This building and surroundings, from the inlaid star where stood Jefferson Davis, to the handsome monument erected by the Ladies Memorial Association of Montgomery, breathes the history of those memorable times," were opening remarks. There were many distinguished guests, including Mrs. Sophie Bibb, first President of the Ladies Memorial Association. The year, 1909-1910 marked the 100th anniversary of the birth of illustrious sea captain, Admiral Raphael Semmes. This anniversary was observed at home and abroad. Mrs. Electra Semmes Colston, daughter of the Admiral, spoke during the convention.

At the 1911 Convention, Mrs. L. M. Bashinsky gave her first report as Chairman of the Scholarship Committee. The first Division Scholarship was placed at the University of Alabama. Eleven more were provided for students with Confederate ancestors throughout Alabama. At the close of her report she stated that the cook book, Tried and True Recipes, was in the process of compilation. The cook book through three editions and other ingenious and creative means would provide funds for Scholarships. Mrs. Elizabeth Burford Bashinsky would be Director of Alabama s Education Program for fifty years and develop a Scholarship Fund second to none. During her administration as Division President, The United Daughters of the Confederacy Scholarship Bill as passed by the Alabama Legislature without a dissenting vote. Today there are over two hundred forty-five scholarships available for Alabama students this represents an investment of more than 300 thousand dollars. Mrs. Bashinsky s cook book, Tried and True Recipes, was re-printed in 1994 for the fourth time by a grateful Alabama Division.

Mrs. Bashinsky became President General in 1929. She served brilliantly and during her term of office the Stratford Hall Memorial Fund was begun, and she sponsored fund-raising for the Memorial Windows in the National Cathedral, Washington, D.C. Among the many objectives completed during her administration were: the Heyward Shepherd Boulder at Harper s Ferry the Jefferson Davis Bust presented to Transylvania College a portrait of Robert E. Lee was placed in the U.S. Military Academy and the R. E. Lee Sword presented annually at the U.S. Military Academy the Matthew Fontaine Maury Bust was placed in the Hall of Fame, and the Maury and Winnie Davis Scholarships were established. At age ninety Mrs. Bashinsky spoke at the Dedication of the Stonewall Jackson Bronze in the Hall of Fame at New York University.

She was recognized nationally for her intellectual ability. The driving force and great love all of her long life was Education. She was a teacher at the State Teacher s College, Troy, Alabama (now Troy State University) for many years. A fitting close to remarks about Elizabeth Burford Bashinsky is to quote from her:

"The foundation stones of our organization are Memorial and Historical, and faithfully and well have we builded upon that foundation. Let us make Education the capstone of this beautiful, wonderful structure. It is well to build with marble and stone, but better to build with minds and character temples not made with hands but riveted of hearts "

*The UDC Chapter of which she was a member, in Troy, Alabama now bears her name: the Elizabeth Burford Bashinsky Chapter No. 236. Mrs. Bashinsky died January 21, 1968 at 100 years of age. The Alabama Division has presented her name for the Alabama Women s Hall of Fame at Judson College, Marion, Alabama. *[Elizabeth Burford Bashinsky will be installed in the Alabama Women s Hall of Fame on Thursday, October 12, 1995.]

Space and time will not allow us to continue. Not covered is the work of prominent women such as Mrs. Mary Winn Gayle Mrs. Anne Whitfield Dowdell Mrs. Dixie Bibb Graves Mrs. Caroline Dent McDowell Mrs. Lula Rainer Palmer Mrs. Bessie Screws Mertins Mrs. Mollie Hollifeld Jones who launched the project of the Jefferson Davis Monument on the Alabama Capitol Grounds Mrs. William Clifton Carson, Chairman of the Vicksburg Memorial Project, 1947-1951 Mrs. Annie Rowan Forney Daugette Mrs. Nan Neblett Maxwell Mrs. Bessie Seay Rose Mrs. Cherry Crawford Mrs. Erin Sharp Mrs. Gladys Henderson Mrs. Lola Bridges Curry who completed the Grimsley-Curry General Scholarship that now bears her name Mrs. Mildred Stanford Lawley, a Real Daughter who passed away in March, 1994 Mrs. Grace Browder Johnson Mrs. Ethel Lanier Braswell, Division President and Honorary President General Mrs. Mildred Nettles Cook, Division President 1982-1983 and in 1988-1990 served as President General. Two Alabama Daughters have served as President General: Mrs. Elizabeth Burford Bashinsky 1929-1931 and Mrs. Mildred Nettles Cook 1988-1990.

Other Alabama Division Presidents have been Mrs. John H. Livingston, Mrs. Lamurl H. Batte, Mrs. Eathel Sellers Short, Mrs. Mary Ellen Ezell Ahlstrom, and Mrs. Isabel Roper Rogers, 1991-1992, when we saved the Jefferson Davis Holiday.

Mrs. C. Wayne Shell (Sandra Neville) was the Alabama Division President for the term 1992-1994. During her term of office the Alabama Division has been incorporated. Members of the Division dedicated the four major Confederate Flags raised at the historic Confederate Monument on the Alabama Capitol Grounds. The General Organization observed the 100th Anniversary of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

In September 1994 Mrs. Hoyt O. Smith (Christine Willingham) was elected Division President for the term 1994-1996. She will preside over the 100th Alabama Division Convention which will be held in Tuscaloosa on September 7, 8, and 9, 1995.

Alabama Daughters who have served as Honorary Presidents of General during the 100 Years of Caring are Mrs. Virginia Clay Clopton Mrs. Electra Semmes Colston Mrs. B. B. Ross Mrs. Charles S. McDowell Mrs. A. M. Grimsley and at the present time Mrs. John O. Braswell and Mrs. J. William Hines.

Twenty-five Alabama Daughters have served as General Officers. In 1994, living Ex-General Officers from Alabama are: Mrs. J. H. Curry Mrs. John O. Braswell Mrs. Claude D. Ezell Mrs. J. William Hines Mrs. Dan B. Cook Mrs. Leonard Pope Mrs. Mary Ellen Ahlstrom Dr. Virginia Kobler and Mrs. Joseph J. Rogers.

Alabama Daughters continue to work to promote the Purposes established one hundred years ago. They have accomplished much and held high their Southern traditions.

On April 25, 1994, when the Daughters dedicated the historic Confederate Flags at the Monument to Alabama s Confederate Soldiers and Sailors on the Capitol Grounds, in Montgomery, they dedicated their efforts in that endeavor to "Southern Ladies who have preserved their Southern Legacy, always in step with Modern Times."

History of the Alabama Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy, Volumes I, II, and III.
Minutes of the Proceedings of the First Annual Meeting of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Held at Montgomery, AL April 8 and 9, 1897

Elizabeth Griswold Black served as President of the Cradle of the Confederacy Chapter 94, Montgomery (1983-1985), Alabama Division Historian (1988-1990), and Corresponding Secretary (1992-1994).

Alabama Division UDC 2020-2021

​The presence of links to outside websites does not imply endorsement, approval, or
concurrence by the United Daughters of the Confederacy on any level.​

The name "United Daughters of the Confederacy" is a registered trademark of the General Organization and may not be used outside the Organization without the
express written consent of the United Daughters of the Confederacy ​ . The official UDC insignia is a registered trademark of the General Organization and may not be used
without the express written consent of the President General.


Alabama Railroads

L&N Railroad in Baldwin County The history of Alabama and the development of its railroads are deeply intertwined. Beginning with the 1832 opening of the Tuscumbia Railway in Franklin County, the state's railroads solved transportation problems and created opportunities for schemers and legitimate businessmen alike. Over the next century, railroads tied the various parts of the state together, connected Alabama to the rest of the nation, and made the rise of the Birmingham District possible. Charles Pollard The state's second railroad began with merchant and farmer Abner McGehee, who conceived an idea to route Georgia cotton through Montgomery over a railroad between the Alabama city and Columbus, Georgia. The Montgomery Railroad opened its first 12 miles of track in 1840 but soon failed. McGehee and railroad executive Charles Pollard reorganized it as the Montgomery and West Point Railroad (M&WP) and changed its destination to above the Chattahoochee River's rapids. The M&WP succeeded in part because of federally backed loans and reached West Point, Georgia, in 1851. It also was one of the first rail companies to own and use slave labor for construction, having purchased at least 84 slaves. Advertisement for Railroad Laborers The Civil War brought about massive change on Alabama's railroads. The Memphis and Charleston (M&C) initially moved Confederate troops and supplies but was largely dismantled in 1861 and 1862 so that its rails and equipment could be used elsewhere in the South and to prevent their use by federal forces. The M&O, A&F, and M&WP participated in the first large-scale troop movement in history. Following the Battle of Shiloh in 1862 in southwest Tennessee, U.S. Army general Don Carlos Buell began marching toward Chattanooga, in southeast Tennessee, alongside the ruined M&C. To counter this, Confederate general Braxton Bragg used these three railroads, along with others in Georgia, to move 25,000 troops and supplies from Tupelo, Mississippi, to the Chattanooga area (a distance of almost 300 miles) in less than a week, arriving well ahead of Buell. As a result of heavy usage, minimal maintenance, and raids by federal troops, particularly those led by Col. Abel Streight (1863), Maj. Gen. Lovell H. Rousseau (1864), and Gen. James H. Wilson (1865), the state's railroads were largely decimated at war's end. John Turner Milner Prior to the war, geologists had confirmed that the area around present-day Birmingham contained large deposits of iron ore and coal, but they were worthless without transportation to an industrial center. Supporters of the A&TR lobbied for Chattanooga as that center, but Alabamians Frank Gilmer and John Milner, both of whom had learned railroading on the A&F, envisioned Jones Valley in central Alabama as that industrial base, with a Montgomery–Decatur railroad to serve it. They chartered the Alabama Central Railroad (AC) in 1854, but A&TR backers and the Civil War stalled the project. After the war, Milner reorganized the AC as the South & North Railroad (S&N) and finally began construction in 1869. The company had reached within 66 miles of Decatur when a lack of money to pay bond interest stopped the work. Railroad contractor John Stanton and other A&TR backers schemed to take control of the S&N, but a last-minute infusion of cash from Kentucky-based Louisville and Nashville Railroad (L&N) rescued the S&N and laid rail to Decatur by 1872. There, it connected with another L&N-controlled line, the Nashville and Decatur, giving the expanding L&N its first entry into the state. Memphis & Charleston Railroad, ca. 1890 The Birmingham District's growth attracted other railroad builders seeking their share of the lucrative traffic as well. Chief among these were the East Tennessee, Virginia and, Georgia Railroad (ETV&G) and the Georgia Pacific Railway (GP), a new Atlanta–Greenville, Mississippi, line. The ETV&G was a post-war consolidation of numerous small lines, including the Memphis and Charleston in 1877 and the Selma, Rome, and Dalton Railroad in 1881. The GP, built by railroad executive John Gordon with backing from the Richmond and Danville Railroad (which, along with the ETV&G, was controlled by a holding company known as the Richmond Terminal), reached Birmingham in 1883, and the Mississippi River at Greenville in 1887. In 1880, the Central Railroad and Banking Company decided to extend its system to Birmingham from Columbus, Georgia. Through acquisitions and new construction, its Columbus and Western Railway subsidiary reached Birmingham in 1887. By then, it had also come under Richmond Terminal control. Train Ferry across the Tallapoosa River The Panic of 1893 drastically reshaped Alabama's railroads, primarily because of the failure of the Richmond Terminal holding company. Through a convoluted process, the Central Railroad and Banking Company's lines emerged as the Central of Georgia Railway (C of G) in 1895. The ETV&G and the Alabama Great Southern Railroad, successor to the A&TR, were included in New York financier J. P. Morgan's new Southern Railway System, formed out of several Richmond Terminal lines in 1894. The L&N was not affected by the Richmond Terminal's collapse, but it instantly had a strong rival in the new Southern Railway. These two lines would dominate Alabama railroading for almost a century. Southern Railway Advertisement Other lines built into Alabama over the next two decades included: the Kansas City, Memphis and Birmingham (later Frisco), linking Memphis, Tennessee, and Birmingham in 1887 the Alabama Midland (later Atlantic Coast Line), from Bainbridge, Georgia, to Montgomery in 1890 the Mobile and Ohio (later Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio), from Columbus, Mississippi, to Montgomery in 1899 the Seaboard Air Line, connecting Savannah, Georgia, and Montgomery in 1900 the Atlantic and Birmingham Air Line (later Seaboard Air Line, or SAL), from Atlanta to Birmingham in 1904 and the Atlanta, Birmingham, and Atlantic (later the Atlantic Coast Line, or ACL), that linked Manchester, Georgia, and Birmingham in 1910. City of Miami at Sloss Furnaces, 1950 The post-war era brought change and consolidation to the state's railroads. Diesel power replaced steam locomotives, and freight cars grew larger. An unexpected development was the rapid decline in passenger traffic in spite of large investments to re-equip existing passenger trains, such as The Crescent y The Panama Limited and to introduce new ones such as The Humming Bird. These trains remained attractive as sources of transportation throughout most of the 1950s, but a massive increase in the number of automobiles, the new Interstate Highway System, and the advent of jet airliners captured most intercity passenger business. A majority of passenger trains had been discontinued when the federally controlled Amtrak system assumed operation of a skeleton system in 1971. At first the Southern Railway was the only railroad serving Alabama that did not join Amtrak, continuing to run its renamed Southern Crescent until 1979, when it, too, joined Amtrak. Amtrak's Creciente, serving Anniston, Birmingham, and Tuscaloosa, is now the sole passenger train in the state.

ALCO HH900 #82 Locomotive Alabama's major railroads have been merged into larger companies, starting with Southern's acquisition of the C of G in 1963, eliminating most historic company names. CSX Transportation (1980) includes the former ACL, SAL, L&N, and Western of Alabama lines, and the Southern is now part of Norfolk Southern Corporation (1982). The BNSF Railway (1996) reaches Birmingham via the former St. Louis-San Francisco (Frisco) track, and the original M&O line into Mobile has been part of Canadian National Railway since 1998. Some smaller railroads remain, but many secondary lines have been abandoned. The collections at the Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum in Calera, Shelby County, and the North Alabama Railroad Museum in Chase, Madison County, encompass a wide variety of locomotives and rail cars spanning all of Alabama's railroad history.

Black, Robert C., III. The Railroads of the Confederacy. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1998.


Classic Railroads That Served Alabama

While Alabama railroads do not include many passenger trains, Amtrak does currently operate one train through the state, the Creciente, which stops at Anniston, Birmingham, and Tuscaloosa along the Norfolk Southern's main line through the state.

Amtrak F40PH #350 has the northbound "Gulf Breeze" near Atmore, Alabama on the ex-Louisville & Nashville during July of 1990. Gary Morris photo.

Railroad Museums And Attractions

There are also plenty of tourist railroads and museums dotting Alabama.

These include the Foley Museum, Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum, Historic Huntsville Depot, and the North Alabama Railroad Museum. Lastly, Alabama has a few relic stations still standing, Montgomery Union Station and Mobile & Ohio Gulf Terminal in downtown Mobile (for any history, rail, and/or architecture buff these railroad stations are worth the drive to see).

So, if you are interested in either Alabama's railroad history or just looking for something to do you may want to visit one of these places.


Helen Keller conoce a Anne Sullivan, su maestra y "hacedora de milagros"

El 3 de marzo de 1887, Anne Sullivan comienza a enseñar a Helen Keller, de seis años, quien perdió la vista y el oído después de una enfermedad grave a la edad de 19 meses. Under Sullivan’s tutelage, including her pioneering “touch teaching” techniques, Keller flourished, eventually graduating from college and becoming an international lecturer and activist. Sullivan, later dubbed “the miracle worker,” remained Keller’s interpreter and constant companion until the older woman’s death in 1936.

Sullivan, nacida en Massachusetts en 1866, tuvo experiencia de primera mano con la discapacidad: cuando era niña, una infección le impedía ver. Luego asistió a la Institución Perkins para Ciegos, donde aprendió el alfabeto manual para comunicarse con un compañero de clase que era sordo y ciego. Finalmente, Sullivan tuvo varias operaciones que mejoraron su vista debilitada.

Helen Adams Keller nació el 27 de junio de 1880, de Arthur Keller, un ex oficial del ejército confederado y editor de periódicos, y su esposa Kate, de Tuscumbia, Alabama. As a baby, a brief illness, possibly scarlet fever orਊ form of bacterial meningitis, left Helen unable to see, hear or speak. Se la consideraba una niña brillante pero malcriada y de carácter fuerte. Sus padres finalmente buscaron el consejo de Alexander Graham Bell, el inventor del teléfono y una autoridad en sordos. Sugirió que los Keller se pusieran en contacto con la Institución Perkins, que a su vez recomendó a Anne Sullivan como maestra.

Sullivan, age 20, arrived at Ivy Green, the Keller family estate, in 1887 and began working to socialize her wild, stubborn student and teach her by spelling out words in Keller’s hand. Inicialmente, la ortografía con los dedos no significaba nada para Keller. However, a breakthrough occurred one day when Sullivan held one of Keller’s hands under water from a pump and spelled out “w-a-t-e-r” in Keller’s palm. Keller pasó a aprender a leer, escribir y hablar. With Sullivan’s assistance, Keller attended Radcliffe College and graduated with honors in 1904.


Ver el vídeo: Играю в STANOFF 2