18 de octubre de 1944

18 de octubre de 1944

18 de octubre de 1944

Guerra en el mar

La Royal Navy ocupa Scarpanto y Santorini

Un avión del Escuadrón No 540, tripulado por el Ft Lt Hubert Charles Sidney 'Sandy' Powell y el Ft Sgt Joe Townsend, toma una fotografía del Tirpitz y Tromso, confirmando informes de inteligencia anteriores. Powell recibió el DFC del vuelo. Un ataque contra ella el 29 de octubre fracasó, pero un segundo ataque de la RAF el 12 de noviembre finalmente hundió el Tirpitz.

Grecia

El gobierno griego regresa del exilio a Atenas

Alemania

Los alemanes restantes entre 16 y 60 años están inscritos en el Volkssturm

Porcelana

Se ordena al general Stilwell que regrese a los Estados Unidos

Pacífico

El gobierno japonés ordena una gran contraofensiva, con el nombre en clave "Sho".



Acontecimientos del 18 de octubre de 1944

Estaba con el 94th Field Regt. RA que fue a Normandía justo después del Día D y se abrió paso a través de Francia, Bélgica y Hollan, donde participamos en la batalla de Arnhem. Después de dos semanas en Elat, nos trasladamos al sur hasta la frontera con Alemania, cerca del bosque de Reichsfeld, donde todavía teníamos mucho que hacer. Pero una tarde llegó la orden de que todos los N ° 1 se presentaran en el puesto de mando, así que estando a cargo del cañón N ° 4 salí esperando que se organizara otro gran plan de incendios, pero, sorpresa, sorpresa, era noticia de 48 horas de salida en Bruselas para un hombre por sección para incluir un sargento. de nosotros cuatro. Así que fue un caso de sorteo. Lo que más me sorprendió fue cuando gané y mis muchachos dijeron que debía haberlo tocado, así que para mantener la paz dije que cumpliría mi deber toda la noche.
Cuando terminó el 'stand to' de la mañana, me dirigí a la parte trasera de la posición donde el camión de la cocina estaba esperando con el desayuno para todos los muchachos. Bueno, el desayuno consistía en "gachas" (que eran galletas duras trituradas y hervidas en agua para que parecieran gachas). Llegó mi turno y la cocinera estaba vertiendo la mía en mi dixie, recuerdo haberla visto deslizarse al suelo mientras todo se ponía negro. ¡Cuando desperté estaba tirado en el suelo con los pies casi en un gran fuego! Traté de levantarme pero no pude, así que me arrastré aún sin saber lo que había sucedido. Aparentemente, un proyectil aterrizó en el camión y todo se hizo añicos. Dos hombres murieron, nueve resultaron heridos y dos murieron posteriormente en el hospital. Cuando finalmente llegué al puesto de primeros auxilios, descubrí que me habían golpeado ocho veces, una pieza bastante desagradable me aplastó el tobillo y me quitó parte de la bota y un gran trozo de carne, tres más en la parte carnosa de mis piernas y cuatro pequeñas piezas que se dejaron trabajar por sí solas.
Cuatro de nosotros fuimos llevados en ambulancia al Hospital Nijmegan, que fue operado por personal británico y alemán. Me metieron en una sala que ya estaba llena, pero tenía una camilla entre dos camas donde casi nos tocamos. Mi condición no amenazaba mi vida, por lo que ese día no me dieron ningún tratamiento. Durante la noche, el enemigo abrió fuego con armas de largo alcance y bombardeó la sala en la que yo estaba. El techo entró y estábamos cubiertos de escombros. El tipo que estaba a mi lado murió, ¡pero me sacaron con algunos moretones más!
Partimos nuevamente en ambulancias de regreso a Eindhoven, donde nos atendieron monjas. Fueron muy buenos con nosotros e hicieron lo que pudieron, pero no hubo atención médica.
Este fue el comienzo de mi largo viaje a casa.

© Los derechos de autor del contenido aportado a este archivo pertenecen al autor. Descubre cómo puedes usar esto.

Esta historia se ha colocado en las siguientes categorías.

La mayor parte del contenido de este sitio es creado por nuestros usuarios, que son miembros del público. Las opiniones expresadas son de ellos y, a menos que se indique específicamente, no son las de la BBC. La BBC no es responsable del contenido de los sitios externos a los que se hace referencia. En caso de que considere que algo en esta página infringe las Reglas de la casa del sitio, haga clic aquí. Para cualquier otro comentario, contáctenos.


Octubre de 1944

C Troop llegó a Lenoncourt, Francia, para un merecido descanso el tercer día de octubre, después de sesenta días de lucha y conducción continuas. Lenoncourt era pequeño, uno de esos pueblos rurales con montones de estiércol, el signo francés de la riqueza, que no se diferenciaba en absoluto de los innumerables otros pueblos que pasamos en el transcurso de las casi 500 millas recorridas desde el 3 de agosto, cuando vimos acción por primera vez en Fougeres ( mapa I) (mapa 15).

En Lenoncourt, la Tropa estaba alojada en graneros y cada pelotón tenía su propio cocinero. El clima comenzaba a hacer frío, el viento cortaba y los días generalmente eran húmedos. Durante ocho días descansamos en la ciudad, fuimos a espectáculos nocturnos en el Squadron CP, no hicimos guardia y comimos en abundancia.

El 11 de octubre, la Tropa salió de Lenoncourt, en dirección a Parroy (mapa 29a) (mapa OHW). En Henamenil, cerca de nuestro destino, se descubrió que el camino hacia Parroy estaba muy minado. Dado que la remoción requeriría demasiado tiempo, la Tropa desmontó y siguió adelante a pie para ocupar la ciudad, liberando a la Tropa C de la 42a. Se establecieron puestos de avanzada en los bosques al este de la ciudad y durante dos días las cosas permanecieron tranquilas, aunque nuestras patrullas desmontadas recorrieron los bosques de la zona.

El día 13, la artillería enemiga comenzó a concentrarse en Parroy. Sargento. Problema, sargento de pelotón. del segundo pelotón, resultó herido cuando un proyectil golpeó el tocho del pelotón y # 8217. (Nota: una carta de artillería enemiga capturada tenía un número de concentración en el PC en Parroy). Se envió una patrulla de cuatro hombres en un esfuerzo por descubrir las posiciones enemigas, se topó con un nido de ametralladoras y solo un hombre regresó. Pvt. DeFeo. Más tarde ese día, uno de los puestos de avanzada notó que unos soldados alemanes llevaban a un hombre en un medio refugio y, después de concertar una tregua, se dieron cuenta de que deseaban devolver a dos miembros de la patrulla. Sargento. Thompson y Pvt. Reidle. Thompson, el líder de la patrulla, y Reidle fueron entregados a nuestros médicos después de una tregua de media hora. Pvt. Frederick Idzior, el cuarto miembro de la patrulla, nunca fue localizado y fue reportado como desaparecido en acción.

Se enviaron más patrullas durante los siguientes cuatro días, la mayoría de ellas atrayendo fuego enemigo, pero sufriendo solo una baja durante el período. Sargento. Douglas, que resultó herido.

La tropa fue relevada por el 42 en la mañana del 18 y se retiró a Bathelmont (mapa 29a) para un período de descanso.

El informe del Grupo del 19 de octubre señala que & # 8220Troop A, 42 ° Escuadrón, se adjuntó al 328 ° Regimiento de Infantería & # 8221. El 20, & # 8220, el 42 ° Escuadrón se movió para ocupar el terreno elevado en la cordillera de Moncourt hasta que la 26 ° División atacó Moncourt (mapa 29a) (OHW). El Escuadrón atacó junto con el 104 ° Regimiento de Infantería en el norte y el 121 ° Escuadrón de Caballería en el sur & # 8221. (Nota: el bosque & # 8220 Hambone & # 8221 (mapa OHW) fue tomado en este empuje el 20 de octubre. La tropa C atacó por la derecha hacia el este. B pasó y atacó al norte hasta Bois Frontiere (mapa OHW).


Hoy en la historia de la Segunda Guerra Mundial: 18 de septiembre de 1939 & # 038 1944

Hace 80 años, 18 de septiembre de 1939: Las tropas alemanas y soviéticas se unen en Brest-Litovsk, Polonia.

Los criptógrafos polacos huyen a París con información vital sobre los códigos Enigma alemanes.

La gente de Eindhoven, Países Bajos, baila en la plaza del pueblo después de la liberación, 20 de septiembre de 1944 (Museo Imperial de la Guerra 4905-03 TR 2369)

Hace 75 años — Sept. 18 de octubre de 1944: En la Operación Market Garden, las tropas terrestres británicas se conectan con la 101 División Aerotransportada de EE. UU. En Eindhoven, Holanda.

El Noveno Ejército de los Estados Unidos toma el puerto crucial de Brest, Francia.

Al sur de Sumatra, sub HMS Alisio se hunde un buque de carga del ejército japonés Junyo Maru 5620 muertos, incluidos trabajadores esclavos javaneses y 1477 prisioneros de guerra aliados, la peor pérdida marítima de la historia hasta la fecha.

Tropas estadounidenses que luchan en Brest, Bretaña, Francia, septiembre de 1944 (Centro de Historia Militar del Ejército de los EE. UU.)


Este día en la historia negra: 18 de octubre de 1944


El 18 de octubre de 1944, el actor y activista de derechos civiles Paul Robeson recibió la Medalla Spingarn de la Asociación Nacional para el Avance de la Gente de Color (NAACP) por sus logros en las artes.

Roberon nació en Princeton, Nueva Jersey, el 9 de abril de 1898. Se convirtió en uno de los artistas más destacados durante el Renacimiento de Harlem, apareciendo en muchas producciones, entre ellas El emperador Jones y Todo el Chillun de Dios tiene alas.

Hijo de un esclavo fugitivo, Robeson se pronunció activamente contra el racismo y se involucró profundamente en el movimiento de derechos civiles. Su negativa a reprender públicamente sus creencias lo llevó a ser incluido en la lista negra de películas en las décadas de 1940 y 1950.

El 23 de enero de 1976, Robeson murió a la edad de 77 años después de sufrir un derrame cerebral.


BET National News: manténgase al día con las últimas noticias de todo el país, incluidos los titulares del mundo del hip hop y el entretenimiento. Haga clic aquí para suscribirse a nuestro boletín.


Este día en la historia negra: 18 de octubre de 1944


El 18 de octubre de 1944, el actor y activista de derechos civiles Paul Robeson recibió la Medalla Spingarn de la Asociación Nacional para el Avance de la Gente de Color (NAACP) por sus logros en las artes.

Roberon nació en Princeton, Nueva Jersey, el 9 de abril de 1898. Se convirtió en uno de los artistas más destacados durante el Renacimiento de Harlem, apareciendo en muchas producciones, entre ellas El emperador Jones y Todo el Chillun de Dios tiene alas.

Hijo de un esclavo fugitivo, Robeson se pronunció activamente contra el racismo y se involucró profundamente en el movimiento de derechos civiles. Su negativa a reprender públicamente sus creencias lo llevó a ser incluido en la lista negra de películas en las décadas de 1940 y 1950.

El 23 de enero de 1976, Robeson murió a la edad de 77 años después de sufrir un derrame cerebral.


BET National News: manténgase al día con las últimas noticias de todo el país, incluidos los titulares del mundo del hip hop y el entretenimiento. Haga clic aquí para suscribirse a nuestro boletín.


Presidentes cubanos

El primer cubano en ocupar el cargo de presidente fue Carlos Manuel de C & eacutespedes y Castillo. Fue elegido luego de liberar a sus esclavos e iniciar la primera guerra por la independencia de Cuba, ahora recordada como la Guerra de los Diez Años.

La convención constitucional que se reunió en Guáimaro (10 de abril de 1869) no sólo eligió a De C & eacutespedes como primer presidente de Cuba, sino que el artículo 24 de la constitución aprobada en esta reunión puso fin a la práctica de la esclavitud en Cuba. (Por supuesto, su autoridad se extendía solo a las áreas controladas por los rebeldes, y no sería hasta octubre de 1886 que la esclavitud en Cuba terminó legalmente).

Los rebeldes cubanos tuvieron seis presidentes antes de la Guerra de diez años llegó a un punto muerto que terminó en 1878, y ni el imperio español ni el gobierno de los Estados Unidos reconocieron a ninguno de estos presidentes, ni el derecho de los cubanos a definir su propio gobierno.

  • Presidentes cubanos durante la Guerra de los Diez Años
    - Carlos Manuel de C & eacutespedes y Castillo (12 de abril de 1869-27 de octubre de 1873)
    - Salvador Cisneros Betancourt (27 de octubre de 1873-28 de junio de 1875)
    - Juan Bautista Spotorno (1 de julio de 1875-29 de marzo de 1876)
    - Tom & aacutes Estrada Palma (29 de marzo de 1876-19 de octubre de 1877)
    - Francisco Javier de Jes & uacutes (19 de octubre - 13 de diciembre de 1877)
    - Vicente García y González (13 de diciembre de 1877-10 de febrero de 1878)
  • Presidentes cubanos durante la Guerra de Independencia (1895-1898)
    - Jos & eacute Mart & iacute y P & eacuterez (5 de mayo de 1895-19 de mayo de 1895)
    - Salvador Cisneros Betancourt (16 de septiembre de 1895-30 de octubre de 1897)
    - Bartolom & eacute Mas & oacute M & aacuterquez (30 de octubre de 1897 - 7 de noviembre de 1898)
  • Gobernadores estadounidenses durante las ocupaciones militares de 1898 y 1906
    - John Rutter Brooke (1 de enero - 23 de diciembre de 1899)
    - Leonard Wood (23 de diciembre de 1899 - 20 de mayo de 1902)
    - William Howard Taft (29 de septiembre - 13 de octubre de 1906
    - Charles Edward Magoon (13 de octubre de 1906-28 de enero de 1909)
  • Presidentes de la República de Cuba
    - Tomas Estrada Palma (20 de mayo de 1902-28 de septiembre de 1906)
    - Segunda ocupación militar (1906-1909)
    - Jos & eacute Miguel G & oacutemez (28 de enero de 1909-20 de mayo de 1913)
    - Aurelio Mario Garc & iacutea Menocal (20 de mayo de 1913 - 20 de mayo de 1921)
    - Alfredo Zayas Alfonso (20 de mayo de 1921-20 de mayo de 1925)
    - Gerardo Machado y Morales (20 de mayo de 1925-12 de agosto de 1933)
    - Carlos Manuel de C & eacutespedes Quesada (12 de agosto - 4 de septiembre de 1933)
    - Ramon Grau San Mart & iacuten (4 de septiembre de 1933-15 de enero de 1934)
    - Carlos Hevia y de los Reyes (15 de enero - 18 de enero de 1934)
    - Carlos Manuel Marquez Sterling (18 de enero - 18 de enero de 1934)
    - Carlos Mendieta y Montefur (18 de enero de 1934-11 de diciembre de 1935)
    - Jos & eacute A. Barnet y Vinajeras (11 de diciembre de 1935-20 de mayo de 1936)
    - Miguel Mariano Gómez (20 de mayo de 1936-23 de diciembre de 1936)
    - Federico Laredo Bru (23 de diciembre de 1936-10 de octubre de 1940)
    - Fulgencio Batista y Zaldivar (10 de octubre de 1940 - 10 de octubre de 1944)
    - Ram & Oacuten Grau San Martin (10 de octubre de 1944-10 de octubre de 1948)
    - Carlos Pr & iacuteo Socarr & aacutes (10 de octubre de 1948 - 10 de marzo de 1952)

El uso de este sitio implica la total aceptación de los términos y condiciones bajo los cuales este sitio está disponible.


1944 - Oswald Avery identifica el ADN como el 'principio transformador'

En la década de 1940, la comprensión de los científicos de los principios de la herencia había avanzado considerablemente: se sabía que los genes eran las unidades discretas de la herencia, además de generar las enzimas que controlaban las funciones metabólicas. Sin embargo, no fue hasta 1944 que se identificó al ácido desoxirribonucleico (ADN) como el "principio transformador".

El hombre que hizo el gran avance fue Oswald Avery, inmunoquímico del Hospital del Instituto Rockefeller de Investigación Médica. Avery había trabajado durante muchos años con la bacteria responsable de la neumonía, el neumococo, y había descubierto que si una forma viva pero inofensiva de neumococo se mezclaba con una forma inerte pero letal, la bacteria inofensiva pronto se volvería mortal.

Decidido a averiguar qué sustancia era la responsable de la transformación, combinó fuerzas con Colin MacLeod y Maclyn McCarty y comenzó a purificar veinte galones de bacterias. Pronto notó que la sustancia no parecía ser una proteína o carbohidrato, sino más bien un ácido nucleico, y con un análisis más detallado, se reveló que era ADN.

En 1944, después de mucha deliberación, Avery y sus colegas publicaron un artículo en el Journal of Experimental Medicine, en el que describieron la naturaleza del ADN como el "principio transformador". Aunque el artículo no fue muy leído por los genetistas en ese momento, inspiró más investigaciones, allanando el camino para uno de los mayores descubrimientos del siglo XX.


Mansiones y otras fincas, pág. 184. Economic History, pág. 197. Marshes, pág. 203. Forest, pág. 204. Gobierno local y ayuda a los pobres hasta 1836, pág. 205. Gobierno local después de 1836, pág. 208. Servicios públicos, pág. 211. Representación parlamentaria, pág. 214. Iglesias, pág. 214. Catolicismo romano, pág. 223. No conformidad protestante, p. 223. Judaísmo, pág. 233. Educación, pág. 233. Caridades para los pobres, pág. 239.

Leyton, el 'tun' en el río Lea, se encuentra a unas 5 millas al noreste de Londres entre el río y Epping Forest. Es parte del distrito londinense de Waltham Forest. (Nota 1) Es principalmente un suburbio dormitorio de pequeñas casas construidas entre 1870 y 1910, intercaladas con viviendas modernas en bloques y torres. La industria está dispersa, además del complejo ferroviario Temple Mills en el suroeste y una concentración de fábricas en el noroeste. La antigua parroquia se conocía como Low Leyton, porque parte de ella se encontraba cerca del Lea. En 1868, a petición de la sacristía, los directores del Great Eastern Railway acordaron cambiar el nombre de la estación de Low Leyton por 'Leyton'. (nota 2) La parroquia civil siguió siendo Low Leyton hasta 1921, cuando se eliminó el prefijo. (nota 3) La parroquia tenía aproximadamente 2 millas de largo de norte a sur. Su límite norte, compartido con Walthamstow, corría recto por 3 millas de bosque a río, por Forest Rise a Whipps Cross, a lo largo de Chestnut Walk (ahora parte de Lea Bridge Road), luego en la línea de la moderna Boundary Road a Mark House, y luego al río cerca de Mount Wharf. (nota 4) La sugerencia de que este largo límite recto puede coincidir con la línea de una antigua calzada romana (nota 5) no ha sido confirmada por evidencia arqueológica. El límite este marchó hacia el sur con Wanstead, bordeando Eagle Pond y Bushwood en Wanstead, hasta Tinkers Lane (Harrow Road). La zanja de Wanstead formaba el límite sur con Wanstead y West Ham. El límite oeste siguió el antiguo curso del río Lea tal como existía antes de que Lea Navigation lo pasara por alto en 1767, (nota 6) desde Mount Wharf hacia el sur hasta la bifurcación del río, donde el límite continuaba hasta Temple Mills a lo largo de Temple Mills. o corriente del molino de plomo. Esto se conocía en 1602 como el arroyo Shire, (nota 7) y después de 1835 como el río Waterworks corría junto a Quartermile Lane, pero se rellenó en 1952. Un pequeño trozo de Hackney se encuentra en el lado este del río, justo encima Lea Bridge.

Municipio de Leyton. O, tres galones de gules, en un jefe de gules un león pasa, o.

La antigua parroquia comprendía el 2.271 a. Su parte más septentrional, del 588 a. C., estaba separada del resto por el Walthamstow Slip. Este corredor de 3 millas perteneciente a la parroquia de Walthamstow variaba en ancho de aproximadamente 50 a 100 yardas (nota 8) y contenía 98a. Su origen es incierto, aunque existen varias tradiciones. (Nota 9) Corría desde Eagle Pond, detrás de Forest House, a través de King's End (Leyton Green), al sur de Capworth Street, a través de los terrenos de Leyton House, hasta el río justo debajo del Horse and Groom. En los mapas de 1699 y posteriores (nota 10) se muestra atravesando campos directamente de una marca a otra, por lo general independientemente de los límites naturales. No se sabe si el Slip se separó de Leyton o de la parte norte de Leyton de Walthamstow, dejando este estrecho remanente en el sur. Pero como el Slip era parte de la mansión de Walthamstow Tony, (nota 11) la vinculación de sus diezmos a la parroquia de Walthamstow probablemente data de principios del siglo XII, cuando la mansión, la iglesia y los diezmos de Walthamstow estaban en manos de Ralph de Tony y su esposa Alice . (Nota 12) Las marcas de los límites del Slip a menudo se disputaron o, como en 1723, se alteraron deliberadamente. (Nota 13) En 1858 Leyton desafió el intento de Walthamstow de establecer su curso a través de la parte más valiosa de los lechos filtrantes de la empresa de agua. (Nota 14) En 1873, el distrito sanitario urbano de Leyton recién constituido incluía el Deslizamiento, que también se fusionó con la parroquia civil de Leyton en 1878. (Nota 15) El Deslizamiento de Wanstead (alrededor del 207 a. C.) se agregó al distrito en 1875, pero constituyó una parroquia civil separada (Cann Hall) en 1894. (nota 16) Le siguieron ajustes menores en los límites con Wanstead en 1887 y 1900. Leyton se convirtió en un distrito municipal en 1926. En 1961 su área era de 2.595 a. (nota 17) Se convirtió en parte de Waltham Forest en 1965, el año que se toma para la mayoría de los propósitos como el punto final de este artículo.

Leyton se eleva desde las marismas del valle de Lea a más de 100 pies en Whipps Cross y High Stone en el borde del bosque. (nota 18) Entre las marismas aluviales y el bosque hay terrazas de grava del valle superpuestas a los ladrillos. (nota 19) Tres cursos de agua principales atraviesan la parroquia. La zanja de Wanstead, también conocida como el río Holt, entró en la parroquia desde Walthamstow en el extremo noreste, cruzó a Wanstead por encima de High Stone, reapareció en Leyspring fluyendo hacia el sur hasta Tinkers Lane, y luego hacia el suroeste por Sauls Green hasta Holloway. Abajo y al oeste hasta Temple Mills. (nota 20) Una vez que una alcantarilla abierta (nota 21) ahora es una alcantarilla. El Phillebrook o Fillebrook, 'Phepes Broke' en 1537, (nota 22) entró en Leyton desde Walthamstow al oeste de Whipps Cross, fluyendo hacia el sur y suroeste para unirse al arroyo Dagenham al oeste de Ruckholts. En 1868 todavía estaba abierto, (nota 23), pero en 1904 se canalizó desde James Lane hasta las obras de alcantarillado en Auckland Road, el último tramo abierto desde West End Avenue hasta James Lane se cerró poco después. (nota 24) El valle erosionado por Phillebrook (nota 25) es reconocible en Leyton High Road al lado de los Jardines de la Coronación, donde una vez hubo un vado. El arroyo Dagenham, que fluye desde Higham Hill en Walthamstow, dividía los pantanos y las tierras altas. (Nota 26) Al norte de Marsh Lane se unía un afluente, la alcantarilla de Shortlands, que también fluía desde Walthamstow, pero más hacia el oeste. (nota 27) Esto formó el límite entre el pantano cerrado y las tierras de lammas y ahora está incorporado en el canal de alivio de inundaciones que fluye directamente al Lea. Desde la oclusión del río Waterworks, el arroyo también se ha desviado hacia el Lea. El Lea aparentemente todavía estaba mareado hasta Lockbridge en el siglo XVI. (nota 28)

Los implementos paleolíticos y los huesos fósiles encontrados a lo largo de las terrazas de grava muestran que el hombre primitivo vivió y cazaba en Leyton. (Nota 29) Había un cementerio romano al sur de Blind Lane, y se descubrieron cimientos macizos de algún edificio romano, con cantidades de ladrillo romano, en los terrenos de Leyton Grange. (nota 30) The High Stone, cerca del límite oriental de la parroquia en el cruce de las carreteras de Woodford y Woodford Bridge, es un obelisco restaurado del siglo XVIII instalado en un tocón anterior, pero tradicionalmente se describe como un hito romano. . Puede ocupar el sitio de uno, si la calzada romana de Dunmow a Chigwell continuaba hasta Londres, cruzando el Lea por calzadas de piedra descubiertas en Leyton entre Temple Mills y Marsh Lane. (nota 31) La tradición también explica que Leytonstone es la parte de Leyton que estaba cerca de High Stone. (nota 32)

En 1086 la población registrada era de 43. (nota 33) La población medieval seguía siendo pequeña. En 1523-154, solo 49 personas, incluidos 18 trabajadores y 10 sirvientes, fueron evaluadas para el subsidio. (nota 34) En 1670 había 83 casas en la parroquia, 23 de ellas en Leytonstone. (Nota 35) Hacia 1778 se decía que había más de 300. (Nota 36) En 1801 la población ascendía a 2.519. (nota 37) Aparte del aumento entre 1841 y 1851 causado por la construcción del asilo de trabajo de Union, no hubo un crecimiento inusual hasta la década de 1860, cuando la población se duplicó, de 4.794 en 1861 a 10.394 en 1871. En 1881 había aumentado a 23,016 en la parroquia civil, ya 27,068 en el nuevo distrito urbano sanitario, que incluía Walthamstow y Wanstead Slips. Entre 1881 y 1891 la población del distrito aumentó en un 133,3 por ciento, a 63.056, un aumento proporcional mayor que el de cualquier otra ciudad inglesa con más de 50.000 habitantes. (nota 38) El rápido crecimiento continuó hasta 1911, cuando la cifra fue de 124.735, alcanzando su punto máximo en los próximos años. En 1921 se registró 128.430. Desde 1931 (128,313) la población ha disminuido, a 105,978 en 1951 y 93,959 en 1961.

La evidencia de Domesday sugiere que el asentamiento en 1086 estaba principalmente en el centro y sur de Leyton, con el bosque más denso en el noreste. (nota 39) La creación de la finca del priorato de Haliwell en 1201 probablemente fomentó el asentamiento más al este en 'Ladune' (Hollywell, más tarde Holloway Down), mientras que a principios del siglo XIV existía una aldea en 'Leyton atte Stone'. (nota 40) A finales de la Edad Media, cuando se despejó el bosque en el noreste de la parroquia, se desarrolló un asentamiento en Knotts Green y Diggons Cross, ambos mencionados en 1537. (nota 41) Knotts Green probablemente originalmente comprendía los desechos entre Leyton High Road y su bifurcación derecha hacia el bosque (Leyton Green Road). Diggons Cross estaba probablemente cerca del cruce de Shernhall Street (Walthamstow) y la carretera hacia el bosque, porque en 1454 Degonesbraches (los "claros" de Diggon) lindaba al norte en esta carretera, por el puente de Leyton. (nota 42)

En el siglo XVIII, cuando la parroquia se muestra por primera vez en mapas detallados, (nota 43) Wallwood y Whitings Grove se limpiaron, y el patrón de la parroquia, tal como se mantuvo hasta mediados del siglo XIX, se completó. En el oeste se extendía un pantano sin urbanizar, y en el extremo noreste de Leyton y el bosque, el lugar frecuentado por los salteadores de caminos. (nota 44) Dos caminos principales, ahora Leyton High Road y Leytonstone High Road, corrían aproximadamente de norte a sur a través de la parroquia. A lo largo de estos se encuentran los dos asentamientos principales, Low Leyton al oeste y Leytonstone al este. En Low Leyton, aproximadamente a un cuarto de milla al oeste de la carretera principal, se encontraba la iglesia parroquial con la casa solariega de Leyton Grange al lado. La carretera principal, con carreteras locales que se bifurcaban, era una continuación hacia el sur de Hoe Street (Walthamstow), por Knotts Green y Ruckholts hasta Angel Lane, Stratford. En el siglo XVIII, la mayor parte de Knotts Green estaba cerrada, formando el triángulo delimitado hoy por High Road, Lea Bridge Road y Leyton Green Road. Pero su esquina noreste todavía estaba desolada, y Knights Green (ahora Leyton Green) en su vértice sur probablemente también era un remanente del green original. La aldea de Low Leyton se encontraba principalmente a lo largo de Leyton Street, ya que la carretera principal se conocía generalmente desde Lea Bridge Road hasta Moyers Lane, el tramo más concurrido, entre Lea Bridge Road y Knights Green, a veces se llamaba Gossups Green. (nota 45) Frog Row, una isla de cabañas, estrechó la carretera principal en su cruce con Forest (más tarde James) Lane. Más al sur, un grupo de casas, más tarde llamado Blue Row, se agrupaba frente a la vicaría y un gran triángulo de desperdicios donde la carretera se bifurcaba hacia el oeste hasta la iglesia (Church Road). El barrio al sur de Blue Row, donde la carretera vadeaba Phillebrook, se conocía habitualmente como Phillebrook. Varios carriles conducían hacia el este desde la carretera principal. Wide Street, mencionada en 1537, (nota al pie 46) más tarde también llamada Wild Street, corría a lo largo del lado norte de Knotts Green, luego continuaba como Broad Lane (más tarde Chestnut Walk) hasta Whipps Cross: ambos ahora son parte de Lea Bridge Road . El Broad Lane existía en 1454 y recibe su nombre en 1649. (Nota 47) En 1726 se describió como 'el paseo con árboles', y los castaños, plantados antes de 1814 y talados en la década de 1930, son conmemorados por el Castaño. casa publica. (nota 48) Un carril (Leyton Green Road) unía Knights Green con Chestnut Walk. Forest (o James) Lane conducía desde Frog Row hasta Buryfield (mencionado alrededor de 1484) (nota 49) y Forest House. Alrededor de 1968 fue renombrado en parte Fletcher Lane, en conmemoración de Mary Fletcher. Moyers o Wallwood Lane, anteriormente conocido como Masters Lane (nota 50) (ahora Hainault Road), conducía a Wallwood y la localidad cercana llamada Geylewere, mencionada por primera vez en 1449 y repetida en varias formas hasta 1867. (nota 51). El nombre puede haberse originado como un sitio de horca. Hacia el oeste desde Knotts Green Butterfield Lane (Welstret en 1537 y 1645, pero a veces también llamado Wide o Wild Street, y ahora parte de Lea Bridge Road) (nota 52) conducía a Markhouse Lane, que era el camino desde Higham Hill, Walthamstow, a la iglesia de Leyton y High Road. Desde este cruce, Hemstall Lane, mencionado en 1601 y descrito en 1630 como un carril de persecución, continuó hacia el oeste hasta Hemstall o Hemstead Green, donde un puente cruzaba el arroyo Dagenham. (nota 53) Los vestigios del green permanecieron en 1777 a ambos lados de la nueva Lea Bridge Road, que la cruzaba, y los recintos desde ella se pueden rastrear en el mapa del diezmo. (nota 54) La granja Hughes, a veces llamada granja Hemstall Green, (nota 55) estaba al sur del carril. Desde Markhouse Lane, Church Lane (ahora Road) se dirigía al sur y al este hasta la carretera principal. La calle Capworth (antes Capport) unía Church Lane y Knights Green, otra forma, Copper Street, puede sugerir alguna asociación con Copping Down, que se encuentra al sur de ella. Al sur de Phillebrook, dos caminos salían de la carretera principal hacia Temple Mills, uno a través de Ruckholts y el otro, Temple Mills Lane, en el límite de la parroquia.

Leytonstone High Road, en el lado este de la parroquia, era parte de la carretera principal de Epping a Londres. Salió del bosque en la posada Green Man (mencionada en 1668) y corrió hacia el sur hasta Sauls (más tarde Harrow) Green, Holloway Down y Stratford. Desde el Green Man Phipps Cross Lane (Whipps Cross Road), mencionado en 1492, (nota al pie 56) unió Leytonstone con Whipps Cross. Detrás del Hombre Verde había un desagradable grupo de chozas llamado The Crib (nota al pie 57) y al sur de éste, Back Lane (Browning Road) conducía hacia el este desde la carretera principal hasta el bosque. Las casas de la aldea de Leytonstone se rezagaban hacia el sur desde el Hombre Verde. En el lado oeste de la carretera principal existía desde mediados del siglo XVIII una capilla de acogida a la iglesia parroquial. Más casas bordearon Sauls Green más al sur y se agruparon en el cruce con Hollewell Lane. Desde la parte superior de Leytonstone, una carretera (Church Lane y Grove Green Road) giraba hacia el suroeste a través de la parroquia hasta Grove Green, luego hacia Ruckholt y Temple Mills. (nota 58) Knaves Lane (Cathall Road) unía Sauls Green y Grove Green. 'Sales' Green se menciona en 1577 (nota al pie 59) y Grove Green en 1571. (nota 60) Hollewell o Blind Lane (más tarde Union, ahora Langthorne Road) unía Holloway Down y Leyton High Road. Tinkers Lane (o Withies, desde los mimbres que bordean la zanja de Wanstead) (nota 61) conducía al este desde Sauls Green hasta Woodhouse y el bosque inferior (ahora Wanstead Flats) ahora se conoce como Harrow Road. Más al norte, una carretera corta (Davies Lane) también conducía desde la carretera principal hasta el bosque inferior.

Leytonstone High Road, como enlace en la ruta Londres-Epping, era en 1594 más importante que Leyton High Road. (Nota 62) En el siglo XVII los habitantes fueron presentados en sesiones de cuartos en varias ocasiones por no repararlo. (nota 63) En 1721 fue absorbida por el fideicomiso de la autopista de peaje de Middlesex y Essex, que la mantuvo hasta 1866. (nota 64) Ambas carreteras principales transportaban carros y carretas del mercado. (Nota 65) El camino a través de Leytonstone también atravesaba el tráfico de autocares de larga distancia (nota 66) y en 1686 había 17 camas para invitados y establos para 57 caballos allí. (nota 67)

El tráfico de peatones y caballos cruzó Lea hasta Hackney, por Lockbridge y el vado contiguo hasta Clapton, y por Temple Mills hasta Homerton y Hackney Wick. Lockbridge se menciona en 1486-1486. (Nota 68) Se informó en 1551 que estaba averiado, y que Lord Wentworth, señor de la mansión de Hackney, debería repararlo lo suficiente para el tráfico peatonal. (nota 69) Fue incluido por Norden en 1594 entre los puentes más útiles de Middlesex, (nota 70), pero finalmente se derrumbó entre 1612 y 1630, y fue reemplazado por el ferry conocido más tarde como Hackney o Jeremy's ferry. (Nota 71) El vado todavía se llamaba Lockbridge en 1646. (Nota 72) Antes de que Lockbridge se derrumbara, una calzada de madera que comprendía 12 pasarelas conducía desde Blackbridge, que cruzaba la alcantarilla de Shortlands al oeste de Hemstall Green, sobre el pantano hasta Lockbridge. En el siglo XVI, esta calzada fue construida o reparada por George Monoux (muerto en 1544) y reparada por Lady Laxton, probablemente alrededor de 1580, cuando se informó que estaba en ruinas. Hicieron esto "por caridad", al no tener tierras en Leyton. (Nota 73) Cuando los puentes volvieron a deteriorarse peligrosamente en 1611–13, el condado renunció a su responsabilidad y en 1694 solo quedaban las ruinas, que aún eran visibles en el siglo XIX. (nota 74) El transbordador de Jeremy, y un segundo más pequeño, llamado transbordador de Smith, un poco al norte, se muestran en los mapas de 1747-178. (nota 75) Como ambos, con la tierra contigua, pertenecían al señor de la mansión de Hackney, (nota 76) Lockbridge y los transbordadores son probablemente el origen de la parte de Hackney que se encuentra en el lado este del río. sobre Lea Bridge hasta el día de hoy. Los mapas muestran dos pistas hasta el ferry de Jeremy. Uno, Water Lane, se dirigía hacia el sur desde Marsh Street, Walthamstow, y se unía en el camino por otro carril desde Low Hall. Water Lane cruzó Walthamstow Marsh, que se encontraba en parte en la parroquia de Leyton, vestigios que permanecieron en el siglo XIX. (nota 77) Desde Leyton, una pista conducía al noroeste desde la parte inferior de Marsh Lane a través de Leyton Marsh. No se muestra ningún camino al ferry desde Hemstall Green. Quizás el riesgo de ahogarse, combinado con las acusaciones exorbitantes del barquero, había desviado a Stratford a los pasajeros de otras parroquias y condados que solían viajar por ese camino. (nota 78) En virtud de la ley Lea Bridge Turnpike Act de 1757, se restauró la antigua ruta de Hemstall Green y Blackbridge, para unir Clapton con la autopista de peaje de Middlesex y Essex en el estanque Eagle. El ferry de Jeremy fue cerrado y el vado cercano destruido. Se construyó Lea Bridge, con un camino a través del pantano por Hemstall Green a Markhouse Lane y Butterfield Lane y Broad Lane se ensancharon. (fn. 79) In 1802 Leyton and Hackney settled their boundaries in relation to Lea Bridge, the land and buildings just above the bridge on the Leyton side remaining in Hackney, but the centre of the river forming the boundary from the upper side of the bridge southwards, leaving the Horse and Groom to Leyton. (fn. 80) The bridge was replaced in 1821 by an iron one. (fn. 81) On cessation of the turnpike trusts in 1871 the Essex half of the bridge was adopted by the county. (nota 82)

There was a less important crossing to Hackney at Temple Mills where a 'common open way for horses' existed in the 1690s. (fn. 83) The bridge over the mill-stream was maintained by the occupants of the mills. (fn. 84) In the present century better communications between South Hackney and Leyton became necessary. (fn. 85) In 1908 the Leyton U.D.C. and Essex county council completed a broad road from Ruckholt Road railway bridge to the Waterworks river, and in 1912 the London county council completed a bridge over the river to meet it. (fn. 86) This bridge, which was vested in the two authorities, became part of the scheme, first recommended in 1915, for an Eastern Avenue leading out of London through Leyton. (fn. 87) The bridge was demolished soon after 1952, when the Waterworks river was filled in and replaced by a roadway. (fn. 88) Plans still existed, however, in 1965 to build an Eastern Avenue extension through Leyton linking Eastway (Hackney) and Ruckholt Road with Cambridge Park. (fn. 89)

Leyton Bridge, mentioned in 1454, crossed the Phillebrook in Broad Lane. It is not mentioned after 1698. (fn. 90) Marks Bridge crossed the Dagenham brook west of Mark House. (fn. 91)

Road development after 1850 took place within the framework of the ancient road system. The only important new thoroughfare was Francis Road, leading from Leyton High Road to Grove Green Road. (fn. 92) By the 1960s the existing main roads in Leyton were carrying heavy through traffic north-eastwards from London. Improved road junctions had been constructed at Whipps Cross, the Green Man, and Ruckholt Road, but congestion was often severe in the built-up shopping streets, particularly in Leytonstone High Road.

No very ancient building survives in Leyton, and there are no structural remains of the medieval parish church. Moyer House and Cross House, both in Leyton village, may have been medieval but were pulled down early in the 19th century. There was a pre-Dissolution Ruckholt Hall, but in the late 16th century it was replaced by a new one, which was demolished in its turn in the 18th century. The vicarage standing in 1537 was in ruins by 1650. The grange or manor house of Leyton which existed in the 1470s had probably disappeared by the late 1640s. Knotts, and the house at Diggons Cross in 1537, (fn. 93) were both replaced in the 18th century or earlier. Godsalves, occupied about 1547 by Sir John Godsalf, (fn. 94) was a large quadrangular building surrounded by a high wall and moat. By the 18th century it was derelict, its materials robbed to build other houses. One of these was probably the Bowling Green mentioned in 1658. This occupied part of the site before it was inherited about 1756 by Edward Rowe Mores the antiquary and printer who built on it the house in Church Road now known as Etloe House. (fn. 95) Leyton's oldest surviving building, the present Essex Hall, is structurally of the 16th century. (fn. 96) The first Forest House, built between 1537 and 1579, stood little more than 100 years. A Rose inn in Leytonstone is mentioned in 1585. (fn. 97)

No secular building which is known to date from the 17th century has survived in Leyton. Among buildings erected in the later part of the century were a new vicarage, the alms-houses next to the church, and a new Forest House. Lea Hall in Capworth Street, built in 1626, was occupied by Sir Richard Hopkins (d. 1735) and by the Quaker Joseph Hunton, who was hanged for forgery in 1828. It later became a girls school and was a branch of the county lunatic asylum in 1894 shortly before it was pulled down. (fn. 98) Drawings of the garden front suggest that it had been rebuilt or remodelled in the 18th century. (fn. 99) Ive Farm, south of Etloe House, was a two-storeyed brick house, probably built late in the 17th century. It survived, much altered, but retaining its original staircase, to the 1940s. (fn. 100) The Ferry House inn mentioned in 1702 and described as ancient in 1757 probably dated from the collapse of Lockbridge in the earlier 17th century. Later known as the Horse and Groom it was demolished in the 1850s when the waterworks filter beds were built. (fn. 101) Other inns named in the 17th century were the Harrow (1651), Green Man (1668), and Robin Hood (1670), all in Leytonstone. The Robin Hood became the Red Lion by 1766. The Three Blackbirds, Leyton, existed by 1705. (fn. 102) All these have been rebuilt, together with the Bell and the Lion and Key, both mentioned in the 18th century. (fn. 103) The house in Leytonstone High Road called Andrews (fn. 104) became known as Royal Lodge after 1821, when it ceased to be occupied as a school. It was burned down in 1878, rebuilt, and converted into the Rex cinema about 1928. The original Assembly House in Whipps Cross Road, in which London merchants were said to have transacted their business during the plague of 1665, was demolished about 1840 and replaced by a tall redbrick building. (fn. 105)

After the Restoration Leyton became increasingly a 'pretty retiring place from London' for wealthy merchants, bankers, and professional men. (fn. 106) They built fine houses or rebuilt existing ones, and established large households, including the 'blackamoor' servants whose births and burials are entered in the parish registers from 1667 to 1778. (fn. 107) In 1670 of the 83 houses in the parish 19 had 8 or more hearths. (fn. 108) By 1766 some 50 to 60 gentlemen's families were said to be living in the parish. (fn. 109) They included men of intellect and taste, such as the printers William Bowyer the elder (d. 1737) and his son, William (d. 1777), and David Lewis (d. 1760) the poet, and friend of Alexander Pope. (fn. 110)

Most of the large residences were situated on the higher ground in the centre and north of the parish with a particular concentration in Low Leyton village. They stood, often in extensive grounds, at Knotts Green and in High Road, Church Lane, and Capworth Street. At least eight houses in this area were connected at one time with substantial estates, including the manor of Leyton, and are therefore described in another section (fn. 111) of these buildings only Essex Hall and Grove House were still standing in 1970. The only other surviving house of any size is Etloe House in Church Road, which was built C. 1760. At the rear of its three-storeyed central block are sash windows and two full-height bays of the original date. The house was evidently enlarged by the addition of two flanking wings in the early or mid 19th century, perhaps as late as 1856 when Cardinal Wiseman moved there at the same time the front was remodelled in a Tudor style with mullioned windows, embattled parapets, and a porch with Gothic arches. Two turrets with crocketed finials may have been part of the original house which, in 1796, was known as Etloe Place and described as 'whimsical'. (fn. 112) Also in Church Road was Leyton House, which disappeared C. 1910. It was built about 1706 by David Gansel and the elaborate layout of its grounds is shown on Rocque's map. It was a three-storeyed red-brick building with a front of seven bays and a scrolled pediment to the central doorway. The front faced a walled forecourt with entrance gates on the east and two flanking stable blocks. The site is now occupied by the London Electric Wire Works. (fn. 113) Other demolished houses in the area which were largely of 18th-century date were Suffolk House in Capworth Street, and Chingford Hall, Salway House, and Leyton Park (formerly Phillebrook House), all in High Road. In Leyton Green Road were the White House, demolished before the Second World War, and Cedar Lawn, which survived into the 1960s. (fn. 114) No. 669 High Road, a smaller village house, was still standing in 1970 built in the later 18th century it has three ogee-headed 'Gothick' windows to the first floor and a pedimented doorcase between Victorian bay-windows.

Forest House and Wallwood House stood at the edge of the forest on or near the sites of more ancient buildings. Both belonged to large estates and are described elsewhere. (fn. 115) In the 18th century the scenic attractions of the forest led to the building of new residences in this part of the parish. In the extreme north-east corner was the house, later known as Forest Edge or Buxton House, in which Isaac Buxton died in 1782 it had probably been built by his father-in-law, Thomas Fowell. Sir Edward North Buxton lived there in 1840–7. It was demolished shortly before 1939 and blocks of flats have been built on the former garden. (fn. 116) Near by, in a road now called The Forest, two smaller houses of 18th century origin, Marryats Lodge and Gwydir Lodge, are still standing, together with two early 19th-century terrace houses. On the south side of Whipps Cross Road, also overlooking forest land, a row of about twelve middle-class dwellings was built in 1767. (fn. 117) It was known as Assembly Row from the Assembly House at one end of it, and later as Forest Place. Six of the houses (nos. 133, 135, 139, 143, 153, and 155 Whipps Cross Road) survived in an altered form in 1968. They were originally twoand three-storeyed structures of brown brick, some terraced and some detached. They had mansard roofs, dormers, sash windows, pedimented doorways and, in a few cases, two-storeyed projecting bays.

Leytonstone contained fewer large residences than Leyton. One of the earliest was The Pastures in Davies Lane, the larger of Mary Bosanquet's two houses. It was built by Daniel van Mildert about 1686–7 but was remodelled and refaced in the 18th century. It contained staircases of both dates. After bombing in the Second World War it stood derelict until its demolition in the 1960s. The Pastures youth centre now occupies the site. (fn. 118) Park House, in Leytonstone High Road, was used as a branch library from 1908 until it was pulled down in 1934. It was a square three-storeyed building of the early 18th century with rusticated quoins, a modillion eaves-cornice, and a hipped roof. The central doorway had an open segmental pediment with the arms of Parry-Segar in the tympanum. (fn. 119) The elevation to Granleigh Road, which had been given a veranda and a balcony in the earlier 19th century, became the principal entrance front after the railway was constructed near by. Among other 18th-century houses which have now vanished were Dyers Hall, built on a small estate devised to the Dyers Company in 1739 for charitable purposes, (fn. 120) and Leyspring House, burnt down about 1870. (fn. 121) Norlington House was in High Road and Bushwood House stood by the pond near the Green Man. At the north end of High Road, however, a few buildings have survived from the former hamlet. Leytonstone House, now part of a mental hospital, was built C. 1800 and was the home of Thomas Fowell Buxton in 1857. The three-storeyed central block of five bays, which has a modillion cornice and a Doric portico, is flanked by two-storeyed wings like so many Georgian houses in the area, it has fullheight bay-windows at the rear. (fn. 122) To the south a smaller and much altered house of C. 1700 stands at right angles to the road. Farther south again were the grounds of Sycamore House, an 18th-century building with later extensions it was demolished in 1958 (fn. 123) when the Presbyterian Church of Wales was built on the site. On the opposite side of High Road, behind the Green Man, several irregular groups of early-19th-century cottages have survived in Browning Road. Facing High Road was a terrace of three red-brick 18th-century houses with shops built over their front gardens. One, in which Sir Morell Mackenzie was born in 1837, is still standing. Farther south a later and more imposing threestoreyed terrace also has its frontage concealed by modern shops. It consists of three houses, each of five bays, with ground floors of rusticated stucco and central Doric porches.

WALTHAMSTOW (SOUTH), LEYTON, AND WANSTEAD, 1965

A few surviving buildings in the parish date from the period immediately before its rapid mid-19th-century development, including St. John's church, Leytonstone (1833). A typical smaller residence, standing in its own garden, is Gainsborough Lodge in Leytonstone High Road. There are also small houses and cottages in Church Road, Leyton, and near the north-east end of Lea Bridge Road (formerly Chestnut Walk). The main front of the massive West Ham Union workhouse (now Langthorne hospital), built in 1840, (fn. 124) has stone dressings and is surmounted by a balustraded parapet with twin classical urns. In Lea Bridge Road the London Master Bakers' benevolent institution stands round three sides of a court, the fourth side open to the street and bounded by railings with wrought iron gates. It was designed in an elaborate Italianate style by T. E. Knightley and built in stages between 1857 and 1866. (fn. 125) The two-storeyed ranges are of grey brick with stone dressings and contain 52 alms-houses, known as 'villas'. Architectural features include two square turrets at the angles between the ranges, small low-pitched gables, and rows of projecting porches.

Leyton and Leytonstone remained rural until the mid 19th century. (fn. 126) Then came the opening of railways to London with stations at Lea Bridge (1840), Low Leyton and Leytonstone (1856), followed by the provision of other forms of cheap and speedy transport. This coincided with the expansion of opportunities for employment in offices, in industry, and in public undertakings, particularly railways, in London and in neighbouring districts, such as West Ham. The effect was to transform two villages by the end of the 19th century into a suburban dormitory for clerks and workmen mostly employed outside the area. (fn. 127) In contrast, however, to the spread of building over most of the parish, the forest land in the extreme north-east remained largely untouched. Its survival was ensured by the Epping Forest Act of 1878 by which over 200 acres in Leyton were preserved for public use. (fn. 128) This area, with its established trees, ponds, glades, and open spaces, provided ample opportunities for outdoor recreation.

Development began in the district nearest to Lea Bridge station, and included Park Place in Church Road, and an estate laid out by the Freehold Land Society comprising Park, Grange, Shaftesbury, and Carlisle Roads, on which all plots were sold by 1853, and houses built and occupied by 1857. (fn. 129) In 1860 the Grange Park estate was sold to the British Land Co. (fn. 130) comprising roughly the rest of the district bounded by Park, Church, Vicarage, and Thornhill Roads. By 1867 Holloway Down was being laid out and the better-class district between Mornington Road and Leytonstone High Road. (fn. 131) Some of the early Holloway Down development, near the union workhouse and West Ham boundary, was of low standard, soon overcrowded, and insanitary (fn. 132) the worst was demolished by the borough council in the 1960s. In the 1870s building was in progress on the Fillebrook (Wallwood farm) estate, bounded by Hainault, Fairlop, Colworth, and Fillebrook Roads, and on the Leyspring estate also, farther south, on the Leyton Park and Phillebrook farm estates, north of the railway line, and in the Cann Hall district, which was almost entirely built over by 1895. The Cowley (Ruckholt manor) estate was sold off piecemeal from the late 1860s, including land in Grove Green Lane and 31 a. between Leyton railway station and Stratford sold in 1878–81. (fn. 133) Building accelerated on established schemes in the 1880s, and spread as the Great House estate, with 50 a. between Francis Road and Norlington Road, and the Leyton Manor estate (Palamos, Malta, and Waterloo Roads), came on the market. Development of the Wallwood Park estate, bounded by Colworth Road, Forest Glade, and the railway line, slow in the 1880s was completed in the next decade. In the 1890s most of the remaining estates were sold, including Dyers Hall, Lea Hall, (fn. 134) The Poplars, Moyer, and the Bourne nursery ground. In 1898 the Barclay Park sale made available another 100 a. Among the last developments, in the early 1900s, were the Forest Lodge (fn. 135) and Etloe House estates, the Warner estate west of Markhouse Road, and the site of the Great House itself (1905). In 1912 only 250 a. of undeveloped building land remained, mainly represented by the Barclay Park estate and Fraser's Lea Bridge nursery ground. These remained undeveloped until the 1920s. (fn. 136)

Beyond the fringe of all this speculative development a bungalow town of 69 shacks, with wells and earth closets, and a wooden mission church, sprang up in the 1880s at Lea Bridge Gardens, west of Lea Bridge station. (fn. 137) The occupants reared ducks and grew vegetables. These buildings were demolished in the 1930s and the site is now mainly industrial.

By 1903 little remained apart from the forest to recall 'leafy Leyton's' former character, though the district council tried to restore it by mobilizing the unemployed to plant thousands of trees in the new streets in 1909–11. (fn. 138) Only the council's recreation grounds, and the Drapers Ground, a disused brickfield laid out in 1894 as a playing field for their school by the Drapers Company, relieved the prevailing monotony of brick. (nota 139)

Once speculative development had begun, Leyton ceased to attract wealthy residents in search of rural seclusion. As a result there are no Victorian or Edwardian mansions in the area. The new houses were mainly yellow-brick two-storey terraces and villas, ranged in rows, their bow-windows and doorways freely ornamented with mass-produced cement foliage and tracery. The elaboration of the Red Lion inn and shops, designed by W. D. Church in 1890, (fn. 140) exemplifies on a larger scale the ornate features popular with the terrace builders. Retail shops, which became increasingly necessary for the growing population, were almost entirely confined to the main thoroughfares, long stretches of which were built up as shopping streets in the later 19th century. The new frontages were of two or three storeys with shops on the ground floor and living accommodation for their owners above. Later, as demand grew, residential terraces were brought into use, shops being built over their small front gardens. Public buildings dating from this period include the first town hall (1882), of yellow brick, with a corner clock-tower, now a library, and the present town hall (1896), designed by J. Johnson. This vivid red-brick building, with Portland stone bands and dressings, was said to be in the 'English Renaissance' style. (fn. 141) Whipps Cross hospital, then the Union infirmary, was completed in 1903. The Carnegie Library in Lea Bridge Road (1906), and girls high school in Colworth Road (1911) were designed by W. Jacques. The most striking churches built at this time were All Saints, Capworth Street (1864), the Mary Fletcher Memorial Methodist church (1877), St. Andrew's, Forest Glade (1887), Gainsborough Bridge Primitive Methodist church (1902), and St. George's Presbyterian church (1893), Hainault Road.

During the First World War about 1,300 houses were damaged by bombing during airship raids in 1915–16. (fn. 142) Though there was little building between the two wars, notable new buildings included Leyton high school for boys in Essex Road (1929), Connaught Road school (1932), the High Road baths (1934), Emmanuel church (1934–5), and the Christian Science church (1937). During the Second World War hardly a house in Leyton escaped damage. (fn. 143) After 1945 municipal redevelopment began on vacant and cleared sites. (fn. 144) First schemes provided houses and bungalows of conventional design, such as those in the Borthwick Road and Ellingham Road area, or three- and four-storey blocks of flats such as Beaumont House (1947), Mills Court (1950), and Thornhill Gardens (1955). Villiers Close (1957) represented a new approach, grouping varied blocks in one development. The eleven-storey Slade Tower, completed in 1961 as part of the Leyton Grange development, was the first outcome of the council's new decision to build upward at higher population densities. The Slade Tower was followed by others, which now dominate the surrounding streets to a height of up to 17 storeys. The Beaumont Road development, under construction in 1965, comprised 444 dwellings in mixed blocks, including bungalows, grouped around the multi-storey All Saints Tower.

Public buildings completed after 1945 include the Harrow Green branch library, George Tomlinson primary school, and Ruckholt Manor school. The only modern church of note is the Welsh Presbyterian church in Leytonstone High Road.

In 1693 the parish was subsidizing a local stage coach. (fn. 145) In 1707 a stage coach service linked Leyton and Walthamstow. (fn. 146) By the late 18th century several coaches a day passed through the parish. (fn. 147) In 1839 five coaches ran daily to London from Leyton, and the Wanstead, Epping, Harlow, and Clare coaches stopped at Leytonstone. (fn. 148) The Northern and Eastern railway line from Stratford to Broxbourne opened in 1840 with a station at Lea Bridge, (fn. 149) and the Eastern Counties (later Great Eastern) branch line from Stratford to Loughton with stations at Leyton and Leytonstone in 1856. (fn. 150) The Midland railway's Tottenham and Forest Gate branch, crossing the parish from north-west to south-east, with stations in Leyton and Leytonstone was opened in 1894. (fn. 151) In 1947 the line from Stratford through Leytonstone to Woodford was electrified, as an extension of the Central London line. (fn. 152)

The North Metropolitan Tramways Co. in 1874 built tramcar construction works in Union Road, connected with the company's system at Stratford by a short length of horse tramway in Leytonstone High Road. (fn. 153) This was extended to the Green Man in 1878. The company used this route to experiment, in 1877 with the Merryweather steam tram, in 1881 with a car driven by the Beaumont compressed air engine, and in 1882 with an electric tram run on a battery. (nota 154)

The Lea Bridge, Leyton and Walthamstow Tramways, incorporated in 1881, opened a single-line horse tram service along Lea Bridge Road in 1883. (fn. 155) Though the promoters failed in 1885, the undertaking was bought in 1888 by a new Lea Bridge, Leyton and Walthamstow Tramways Co., incorporated in 1889, and empowered to operate also down Leyton High Road to the railway station. By 1890 trams were operating from Lea Bridge to the Rising Sun in Woodford New Road, and from the Bakers Arms to the Great Eastern railway station. (fn. 156) Under powers obtained in 1898 and amplified in 1904 (fn. 157) the district council in 1905 took over the Lea Bridge company's undertaking, and in 1906 the portion in the district of the North Metropolitan company's, though not their tramcar works. The council's whole system was electrified in 1906–7. (fn. 158) In 1910 the council made joint arrangements with the L.C.C. and other authorities for through tram services, and from 1921 to 1933 their tramways were operated by the L.C.C. (fn. 159)

A horse bus service between Walthamstow and Stratford via Leyton High Road was introduced in 1889. (fn. 160) It was replaced in 1905 by a motor bus service, run from 1906 by the Great Eastern London Motor Omnibus Co. The company built a bus garage at Leyton Green in 1906, when a new service was started from the Bakers Arms to Oxford Circus via Lea Bridge Road. The London General Omnibus Co., which had also established motor bus routes between London and the Bakers Arms by 1908, took over the Great Eastern in 1911, and rebuilt and enlarged the Leyton Green depot in 1912. (fn. 161) In 1933 the buses and trams were taken over by the London Passenger Transport board. (fn. 162) Conversion of the tramways to trolley bus working was completed in 1939. (fn. 163) Since 1952 omnibuses have replaced trolley buses. (fn. 164)

In 1692 letters were collected and delivered at Low Leyton once daily by the London Penny Post's footpost. (fn. 165) By 1794 there was a receiving house with three daily deliveries, also a sorting office. (fn. 166) The Munn family, grocers in Leyton Street, were receivers continuously from before 1832 until about 1878. (fn. 167) In 1856 Leyton became a sub-office in the north eastern district, later merged with the eastern district. (fn. 168) The sub-office at Leyton Green in 1863 was known as the 'higher office'. (fn. 169) The sorting office at no. 713 High Road was established C. 1893 (fn. 170) in 1917 Leyton became the E.10 London delivery district. (fn. 171) As the number of sub-offices increased, to 11 by 1926, the Leyton Green office continued to be termed the 'higher office', (fn. 172) but there was no branch office until 1934 when the present one was built in Lea Bridge Road. (fn. 173) A telegraph service was available by 1870. (fn. 174) The National Telephone Co. extended their system to Leyton in 1892 (fn. 175) and had opened an exchange by 1906. (fn. 176) The district is now served by the Leytonstone exchange.

In Leytonstone letters were collected and delivered in 1692 once daily. (fn. 177) There was a receiving house by 1794. (fn. 178) In 1856 Leytonstone was assigned to the north eastern (later eastern) district. (fn. 179) There was still only one sub-office in 1870, but another had opened at Harrow Green by 1874. (fn. 180) About 1912 a branch office was opened at no. 801 High Road this remained the urban district's only branch office until 1934. (fn. 181) Soon after 1964 it was replaced by an office at no. 783 High Road. (fn. 182) Since about 1939 there has also been a branch office in Cathall Road, Harrow Green. (fn. 183) A sorting office, established in Church Lane in 1883, (fn. 184) moved to its present site in Fillebrook Road about 1912. (fn. 185) In 1917 Leytonstone became the E.11 delivery area. (fn. 186) Telegraph facilities were available by 1870. (fn. 187) The National Telephone Co. opened the Leytonstone exchange in 1908 (fn. 188) it was taken over by the G.P.O. in 1912. (fn. 189)

Leyton has been the birthplace or home of many notable persons. Some are mentioned in the sections which follow others are listed in another volume. (fn. 190) Lady Margaret Bryan, governess to the children of Henry VIII, died at Leyton. (fn. 191) Thomas Lodge, (d. 1625) a leading physician, lived there (fn. 192) and Sir Morrell Mackenzie (d. 1892), the throat specialist, was born at Leytonstone, where his father, Stephen, practised as a surgeon. (fn. 193) The poet and dramatist John Drinkwater (d. 1937) was born in Leytonstone. (fn. 194) Among the more unusual of Leyton's worthies was John Henry Pepper (d. 1900), the illusionist, exhibitor of 'Pepper's Ghost'. Thomas Bowdler (d. 1856), Shakespeare's expurgator, was curate at Leyton in 1803. William Cotton Oswell (grandson of Joseph Cotton), accompanied Livingstone in his search for the Great Lake, and was with him in 1851 when the Zambesi was sighted.

In the 19th century the Lea was popular for boating, fishing, and bathing several rowing clubs existed by 1880. (fn. 195) The Eastern Mercury, founded in 1887, paid special attention to sport, including football, cricket, cycling, and lacrosse. (fn. 196) Organized football was introduced in 1859, when the Forest Association football club was formed, playing its first games in Leytonstone on the forest adjoining Wanstead orphanage asylum. Among amateur clubs Leyton football club dates from 1868 and Leytonstone F.C. from 1886. The professional club, Clapton Orient, founded in 1881, moved to Leyton to the Brisbane Road stadium in 1936–7, and became known as Leyton Orient. (fn. 197) The Essex county cricket club in 1886 bought a permanent ground in Leyton High Road, where they played until it was sold in 1933. It is still a sports ground. Leyton cricket club, in existence by 1895, was by 1906 one of the strongest in Essex and a nursery for the county team. (fn. 198) In 1906–7 there were 20 cricket and football clubs in Leyton and in 1931 15 cricket clubs, over 20 football clubs, and a number of tennis, netball, swimming, athletics, cycling, motoring, and gymnastics clubs. (fn. 199) Since 1905 the Hollow pond, deepened by the unemployed, has been used for sailing model yachts, boating, and skating. (nota 200)

In 1806 a Women's Union society was meeting at the Red Lion. (fn. 201) By 1897 many societies existed, including masonic lodges, literary, camera, choral, orchestral, and phrenological societies. (fn. 202) They met in public houses, church halls, or schools, and, from 1896, in municipal halls, (fn. 203) of which there were six in 1965. (fn. 204) In 1955 there were over 50 societies in the district. (fn. 205) Three picture palaces were built in 1910–11. (fn. 206) One of Leytonstone's cinemas in 1917 was also a skating rink. (fn. 207) By 1932 there were eight cinemas one of these, the Rex, in Leytonstone High Road, was converted to a bowling alley about 1962. (fn. 208) A Leyton Eisteddfod was organized by the public library committee from 1924 to 1939. (fn. 209) In 1947 Leyton took the lead among London boroughs pressing for more extensive permissive powers for local authorities in the entertainment field these, as a result, became incorporated in the Local Government Act, 1948. (fn. 210)


Secuelas

The attack caught American military personnel by surprise and was certainly costly, but it did not cripple the U.S. Navy as the Japanese had anticipated. By a stroke of luck, the three American aircraft carriers stationed at Pearl Harbor were not there on the morning of December 7th. El USS Lexington, the USS Empresay el USS Saratoga had been sent on missions during the days before. Aircraft carriers are larger and more difficult to build than other ships, and their survival would prove vital during the Pacific War.

President Roosevelt, wearing a black armband, signs the declaration of war against Japan on December 8, 1941

On December 8th, President Roosevelt gave a speech in which he famously called the attack on Pearl Harbor “a date which will live in infamy,” while Congress quickly passed a declaration of war on Japan. Three days later, Germany and Italy declared war on the United States. The War Department completely reorganized itself, as key positions shifted to various trusted officers in order to prepare for the new conflict.

Prior to Pearl Harbor, the United States had sent large amounts of financial aid and military equipment to the Allied cause. The Japanese attack launched the U.S. into a complete struggle against Axis powers and brought American soldiers into the war for the first time. It also united the country, as a Gallup poll conducted during the days after Pearl Harbor showed that 97% of Americans approved of the declaration of war.

Thousands of young men rushed to serve in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard. A New York Times article from December 9th reported that the armed forces were “receiving applicants in numbers unprecedented in the history of the nation” and that “many of the men had been in line [at recruiting stations] the whole night.” Los tiempos added the next day that the Army had received 2,684 applications in the two days since declaring war on Japan.

Pearl Harbor also had a marked effect on the Manhattan Project. The S-1 Committee, which ran atomic research prior to the creation of the Manhattan Project, formally held its first meeting on December 18, 1941. This meeting initiated an official shift from the research to the development phase of the project. As S-1 official James Conant noted, “The atmosphere was charged with excitement – the country had been at war nine days, an expansion of the S-1 program was now an accomplished matter. Enthusiasm and optimism reigned” (Rhodes 398).


A Brief History of Pi ( π )

Pi ( π ) has been known for almost 4000 years—but even if we calculated the number of seconds in those 4000 years and calculated π to that number of places, we would still only be approximating its actual value. Here’s a brief history of finding π .

The ancient Babylonians calculated the area of a circle by taking 3 times the square of its radius, which gave a value of pi = 3. One Babylonian tablet (ca. 1900–1680 BC) indicates a value of 3.125 for π , which is a closer approximation.

los Rhind Papyrus (ca.1650 BC) gives us insight into the mathematics of ancient Egypt. The Egyptians calculated the area of a circle by a formula that gave the approximate value of 3.1605 for π .

The first calculation of π was done by Archimedes of Syracuse (287–212 BC), one of the greatest mathematicians of the ancient world. Archimedes approximated the area of a circle by using the Pythagorean Theorem to find the areas of two regular polygons: the polygon inscribed within the circle and the polygon within which the circle was circumscribed. Since the actual area of the circle lies between the areas of the inscribed and circumscribed polygons, the areas of the polygons gave upper and lower bounds for the area of the circle. Archimedes knew that he had not found the value of π but only an approximation within those limits. In this way, Archimedes showed that π is between 3 1/7 and 3 10/71.

A similar approach was used by Zu Chongzhi (429–501), a brilliant Chinese mathematician and astronomer. Zu Chongzhi would not have been familiar with Archimedes’ method—but because his book has been lost, little is known of his work. He calculated the value of the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter to be 355/113. To compute this accuracy for π , he must have started with an inscribed regular 24,576-gon and performed lengthy calculations involving hundreds of square roots carried out to 9 decimal places.

Mathematicians began using the Greek letter π in the 1700s. Introduced by William Jones in 1706, use of the symbol was popularized by Leonhard Euler, who adopted it in 1737.

An eighteenth-century French mathematician named Georges Buffon devised a way to calculate π based on probability. You can try it yourself at the Exploratorium's Pi Toss exhibit.

Shown: Thomas Degeorge (1786–1854), The Death of Archimedes (detail), 1815. Collection of the Musée d’Art Roger-Quilliot Museum [MARQ], City of Clermont-Ferrand, France.


Ver el vídeo: Call of duty ww2 18 de octubre de 1944 #6