Castillo de Caen

Castillo de Caen

El castillo de Caen es un normando construido alrededor de 1060 por Guillermo el Conquistador. Su hijo Enrique I construyó entonces la iglesia de San Jorge, una torre del homenaje y una gran sala para la corte ducal.

El castillo de Caen, junto con toda Normandía, fue reconquistada por la Corona francesa en 1204. Felipe II reforzó las fortificaciones. El castillo vio varios compromisos durante la Guerra de los Cien Años. El torreón fue derribado en 1793 durante la Revolución Francesa, por orden de la Convención Nacional.

El castillo, que fue utilizado como cuartel durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, fue bombardeado en 1944 y sufrió graves daños.

Hoy, el castillo sirve como museo que alberga el Museo de Bellas Artes de Caen, el Museo de Normandía y el Tesoro de Normandía.


Castillo de Caen - Historia

Alrededor de 1025, durante el reinado del duque de Normandía Ricardo II, la ciudad de Caen estaba creciendo 'en el río Oulne a ambos lados, con sus iglesias, sus viñedos, sus prados, sus molinos, con el mercado, los propietarios de puestos y el impuesto rsquo , el puerto y todas sus dependencias & quot. En ese momento no era más que un pueblo secundario con vocación comercial donde los negocios se animaban con la presencia del puerto. Este activo, combinado con la existencia de un espolón rocoso apto para construir un castillo, no pasó desapercibido para el duque William. Hacia 1060, poco más de una década después de su decisiva victoria sobre sus barones rebeldes en la batalla de Val-es-Dunes, el príncipe se instaló en esta ciudad con futuro.

Construido sobre el espolón rocoso que domina la ciudad ducal, el castillo de William & rsquos tenía un tamaño impresionante, con más de cinco hectáreas barradas en el lado norte por un profundo foso defensivo. La residencia del príncipe & rsquos, que los textos y planos antiguos ahora describen como el Vieux-Palais, el antiguo palacio, estaba protegida detrás de altos muros con la parroquia de San Jorge y sus numerosas casas cerca.

Al mismo tiempo que se construyó el castillo, William y su esposa Matilda establecieron dos abadías en Caen, la Abbaye aux Hommes (abadía de Men & rsquos) y la Abbaye aux Dames (abadía de Ladies & rsquo). También durante ese período se construyó un recinto alrededor de la ciudad ducal. Durante esta segunda mitad del siglo XI, la ciudad se convirtió en una gran obra de construcción, fomentando la afluencia de nuevas poblaciones, que ayudarían a hacer de Caen una ciudad importante, el ducado de Normandía y rsquos, el segundo más grande después de Rouen.

Los duques normandos y el palacio rsquo

En el momento de la construcción del castillo hacia 1060, Guillermo de Normandía instaló su palacio dentro del recinto. La mayor parte de lo que sabemos sobre este complejo palaciego proviene de las excavaciones arqueológicas realizadas en los años posteriores a la Segunda Guerra Mundial por el arqueólogo Michel de Bo & uumlard. Se han identificado tres funciones palaciegas a partir de los restos descubiertos. Según el arqueólogo, un edificio rectangular de 16 metros por 8 (aula) con piso de arcilla sugiere un nivel de cocina y dependencias y ldquoas se encuentra habitualmente en la planta baja de un aula de príncipe y rsquos en los siglos XI y XII. Y rdquo Los apartamentos del duque y rsquos (cámara ) habría estado entonces en el piso superior como lo sugieren los restos de una escalera construida más recientemente en una esquina del edificio. Los restos de la capilla palatina (capella) también fueron desenterrados a pocos metros del primer edificio, aunque esta capilla todavía existía en parte en las construcciones modernas destruidas durante los bombardeos de 1944. No podemos decir definitivamente cómo o incluso si el palacio de William & rsquos estaba aislado o no del resto del recinto, ya que no se descubrió ningún elemento de cerramiento durante las excavaciones. A esta unidad palaciega atribuida a Guillermo de Normandía se añadió una nueva sala construida por su hijo, Enrique I Beauclerc, alrededor de 1120, ahora conocida como Salle de l & rsquo & Eacutechiquier (Exchequer Hall). Esta espléndida sala tiene un tamaño más impresionante (32 metros por 13) y es la única arquitectura románica civil que se conserva en Normandía.

Transformado radicalmente a lo largo de los siglos y las guerras, es difícil afirmar que el Exchequer Hall nunca tuvo más de un piso. Por falta de pruebas, aparte de alguna que otra pista, para corroborar la existencia de un piso intermedio en el siglo XII, la gran obra de restauración del

Los años sesenta optaron por restaurar el salón a un estado más conocido en los escritos, el del siglo XIV.

La excavación actual del edificio del siglo XII con una arquitectura comparable a la del Exchequer Hall traerá su lote de información que complementará y quizás cuestionará un poco el funcionamiento y la interpretación de la unidad del palacio.

La parroquia y el corral del castillo

Si bien la función de Caen Castle & rsquos como un tribunal superior está claramente establecida con la determinación de la unidad del palacio de los siglos XI y XII, no es tan fácil definir el corral dentro del recinto del castillo. Si bien, obviamente, había una serie de servicios de los que la operación del palacio no podía prescindir, estos son más difíciles de colocar dentro del castillo. Aquí nuevamente, la arqueología viene al rescate cuando los escritos tienen poco que decir antes del siglo XIV. Un conjunto de cocinas asociadas con la torre del homenaje fue excavado en los años sesenta, sin embargo, sin rastro del molino, aunque se menciona en los escritos como en la misma zona. También se descubrieron en el sitio varias bases que pertenecieron a pequeñas casas contemporáneas al primer castillo del siglo XI, principalmente en las cercanías de la puerta-torre, la entrada principal al sitio en la época de los duques.

La evidencia más convincente de la existencia del corral en el castillo de Caen es la iglesia parroquial de San Jorge. Si bien es difícil establecer que la parroquia sea anterior al castillo, ya que las excavaciones no han descubierto restos anteriores al año 1100, el edificio acompañó el casi milenio de existencia de los fuertes. Todos los estilos arquitectónicos están representados en la iglesia, desde la arquitectura románica normanda hasta las vidrieras historiadas del siglo XX. Debido a su posición central en el recinto y la atracción natural que tiene un edificio de este tipo, la iglesia de St George & rsquos recibirá una nueva asignación. En 2013 se convertirá en el centro de recepción e interpretación del castillo de Caen, el punto de partida de la visita y una puerta abierta a los otros sitios asociados en francés e inglés del proyecto europeo & quotNorman Connections & rdquo, cuyo trabajo se lleva a cabo como parte de ese proyecto.

Una fortaleza en la ciudad

No se sabe nada sobre la primera fortificación del castillo erigida alrededor de 1060. Las partes más antiguas de las murallas ubicadas en el norte del sitio datan de principios del siglo XII. Realizada en piedra, de la que abundaba en el solar, esta muralla está construida sobre un terraplén de escombros extraídos de la excavación de las acequias norte y este. ¿Se utilizó este terraplén para levantar una empalizada de madera temprana? Nadie lo sabe, ya que la arqueología no ha descubierto nada que ayude a interpretar esta pregunta.

En el siglo XI, había dos puertas de entrada al castillo. La primera en el norte también fue la entrada principal al sitio. Estaba defendida por una imponente torre-puerta. Hacia el sur, la única comunicación con el pueblo era a través de una portera.

La muralla, ciertamente provista de atractivos de madera cuando se construyó por primera vez, estaba salpicada de numerosas torres a medida que se intentaba mejorar sus cualidades defensivas.

El principal activo de fort & rsquos siguió siendo el torreón, construido alrededor de 1120 por Enrique I. Sabemos poco sobre él, pero ciertamente era comparable en muchos aspectos a su contemporáneo, el castillo de Falaise. También en este caso, la arqueología ha sido de gran ayuda, ya que ha permitido redescubrir la planta de la torre del homenaje (24 mx 27 m) y la del telón con sus cuatro torres angulares que se dispuso en el siglo XIII para aislar el Manténgase del resto del recinto. Durante la Revolución Francesa, la Convención Nacional decretó la destrucción del torreón (1793). Esta obra no fue completada hasta el siglo XIX por los militares del cuartel de Lef & egravebvre, que enterraron los últimos restos para sentar un patio de armas.

Durante su larga historia, y sin duda debido a sus cualidades defensivas, el castillo de Caen nunca fue tomado por asalto.


Castillo de Caen - Historia

Nuestros editores revisarán lo que ha enviado y determinarán si deben revisar el artículo.

Caen, ciudad, capital de Calvados departamento Normandía región, noroeste de Francia, en el río Orne, a 14 km del Canal de la Mancha, al suroeste de Le Havre.

Se hizo importante por primera vez bajo los duques normandos en los siglos X y XI y fue la capital de la Baja Normandía en la época de Guillermo el Conquistador. Capturada por los ingleses dos veces, en 1346 y en 1417, estuvo en poder de ellos hasta 1450. La revocación del Edicto de Nantes (1685) rompió la prosperidad de la ciudad, que se había convertido en protestante. Durante la Revolución Francesa, fue un centro del movimiento girondino. Tras la invasión aliada de Normandía en 1944, los alemanes utilizaron Caen como eje de su resistencia al avance británico-canadiense, y la ciudad fue destruida en dos tercios. Fue reconstruido, con zonas industriales planificadas entre el Orne y el canal del puerto. Una llanura verde, la Prairie Saint-Gilles, mira hacia el lado suroeste de la ciudad, y se plantaron jardines públicos en el centro de la ciudad. La universidad, fundada en 1432 por Enrique VI de Inglaterra, fue reubicada y reabierta en 1957. El Caen Memorial (inaugurado en 1988) es un museo dedicado tanto a la guerra como a la paz.

Las iglesias de Saint-Étienne (la Abbaye-aux-Hommes) La Trinité (la Abbaye-aux-Dames) escaparon a los daños de la guerra, ambas datan de la década de 1060 y son excelentes muestras del románico normando. La tumba de Guillermo el Conquistador está frente al altar mayor de Saint-Étienne, y la tumba de su esposa, Matilda, se encuentra en el coro de La Trinité. Los restos de William fueron arrojados durante la Revolución. Saint-Étienne tiene una fachada austera sin adornos. Sus dos torres, que se elevan a 295 pies (90 m), están coronadas por agujas del siglo XIII. Los edificios de la abadía, remodelados en el siglo XVII, albergan ahora oficinas municipales. La solidez normanda de La Trinité está sobrecargada por trabajos de restauración posteriores (especialmente del siglo XIX). La nave sirve como iglesia parroquial, el crucero y el coro como parte del hospital de la ciudad (hotel-dieu). A medio camino entre estas dos iglesias se encuentra la iglesia altamente decorada de Saint-Pierre, con sus bellezas góticas y renacentistas francesas restauradas después de los daños de la guerra. En la Place Saint-Pierre se encuentra el Hôtel Le Valois d'Escoville, una mansión renacentista restaurada (1538). La casa donde nació el poeta François de Malherbe (1555) está en la rue Saint-Pierre.

La importancia de Caen como puerto se remonta a la construcción en el siglo XIX del canal de navegación (de unos 14 km [9 millas] de largo), que es paralelo al río y se abre al Canal de la Mancha en Ouistreham. Sirve principalmente para importar coque y exportar acero. La industria del acero de la ciudad se alimenta de las minas de mineral de hierro del valle de Orne. Se han reconstruido los altos hornos de Mondeville y la población activa se aloja en la nueva ciudad de Hérouville. El aspecto industrial de la ciudad creció enormemente con la ubicación de plantas de automóviles, electrodomésticos y electrónica. Situada en el centro de una fértil región de cultivo de cereales, a la vista del verde bocage de Normandía, Caen es un importante centro de servicios para todo el oeste de Normandía. Música pop. (1999) 113,987 (2014 est.) 106,538.


WROXHAM & # 8217S OTRO CASTILLO?

Esta HISTORIA DEL PRADO DE CAEN fue escrita en 1997 por PETER REEVE, director de la antigua Escuela Montessori, que colindaba con el prado. Reeve sostiene que se necesitaría una excavación arqueológica para descubrir todos los detalles del pasado de Wroxham. Una vez más tengo que agradecer a Barry Gorbould, un coleccionista de todo lo relacionado con el pueblo, por esta intrigante contribución.

Hay más de un relato del origen del nombre Caen Meadow, pero todos apuntan a una conexión con Caen en Normandía después de la conquista normanda. Ciertamente sabemos que el pórtico de la iglesia de Santa María data de ese período y que la piedra arenisca utilizada es similar a la de la catedral de Norwich, que fue importada de Caen.. [Ver nota con cuatro asteriscos bajo Mi infancia en Wroxham.] También se cita en una historia local de Horstead y Stanninghall que todo el distrito, que incluía Wroxham, quedó bajo el dominio de la abadesa de Caen hasta la disolución de los monasterios.

Quizás el relato más persuasivo proviene de una familia que aún reside en el pueblo y que sostiene que en la cima de la colina se encontraba el monasterio de Caen y que en los veranos secos los contornos de las paredes del edificio se podían discernir en la hierba *. En una fecha posterior se construyó un granero de diezmos en el sitio que es donde se encuentra hoy Caenyard House. De hecho, cuando se construyó esta propiedad en 1972, se limpió una gran cantidad de material de cimentación, mientras que hacia Holly Cottage se descubrió un pozo profundo, ahora cubierto. Antes de que llegaran las excavadoras, también se podía ver que el terreno a la derecha de la colina estaba en terrazas, con una zanja que bajaba hacia el río.

Al pie del cerro, a la derecha, aún queda una palangana que se dice que es para descargar wherries en la memoria viva que había pilotes a lo largo de este tramo del río. La orilla opuesta, donde han crecido los alisos, fue también una pradera de Caen y había un camino público hasta Coltishall. La disposición de los robles en la pradera de Caen sugiere que esta noble vista hacia el río se había mantenido desde la época del monasterio. Evidentemente, es un sitio privilegiado y esto plantea la pregunta: ¿qué había antes? Es posible arriesgar una conjetura.

Pasamos ahora a los relatos de que una vez hubo un punto de cruce romano en lo que ahora es el estadio público. Este habría sido el primer vado que cruzaba el río desde su origen. El terreno era más firme aquí y el río estaba tan estrecho que un viejo wherryman sostuvo que alguna vez fue posible colocar un quant de 18 pies de una orilla a otra.

Sabemos que los romanos estaban en Wroxham. Se encontró una moneda romana en el camino que conduce a la entrada y otra en 1977 en el jardín de Holly Cottage.

Había un segundo punto de cruce romano sobre el Bure en Horstead, donde había un campamento romano, y un fuerte que custodiaba ese cruce. Sin embargo, se puede suponer que el cruce de Wroxham era más importante, ya que era el primer vado, y era eminentemente defendible desde el terreno más alto que lo dominaba. Si había un fuerte en Horstead, esto indica que se trata de una fortificación en Wroxham. De hecho, una vez que los botes daneses comenzaron a navegar por los ríos Norfolk, la defensa de los puntos estratégicos fue una necesidad. Aquí se puede mencionar que el Bure entró en el mar al norte de donde se encuentra hoy Great Yarmouth y no se unió al estuario de Yare.

Luego tenemos el enigma del origen del nombre de la antigua taberna del Castillo. ¿Castle Street recibió el nombre de la taberna o el pub recibió el nombre de lo que alguna vez estuvo al otro lado de la calle? A partir de registros antiguos, sabemos que Castle Street continuó más allá de donde se construyó la escuela victoriana hasta Holly Cottage, en ese punto estrechándose y llamándose Church Land. El argumento es que el nombre Castle Street se deriva de la carretera que conduce a la fortificación o castillo en la parte superior de Caen Meadow y donde posteriormente se construyó el monasterio.

* Esto no debe confundirse con otro relato de un priorato cerca del antiguo Wroxham Hall, río arriba.


El castillo que ayudó a hundir un acorazado

Castillo Archdale, una pequeña fortaleza junto al lago y en gran parte olvidada en Irlanda del Norte, fue fundamental en una de las victorias navales más importantes de los Aliados en la Segunda Guerra Mundial. Ubicado en las orillas del Lower Lough Erne cerca de Enniskillen, Archdale sirvió como una base importante para los hidroaviones Allied PBY Catalina y Short Sunderland durante gran parte del conflicto. Situado en el extremo occidental de Irlanda del Norte, el remoto puesto de avanzada proporcionó un refugio ideal en aguas tranquilas para los aviones de patrulla de largo alcance aliados que se aventuraron profundamente en el tormentoso Atlántico en busca de submarinos alemanes.

Un acuerdo secreto entre Londres y Dublín permitió a los hidroaviones británicos, y más tarde a los estadounidenses, pasar directamente sobre el espacio aéreo neutral de la República de Irlanda en su camino hacia sus cotos de caza oceánicos. El 26 de mayo de 1941, un PBY del Escuadrón 209 que volaba desde Archdale vio el esquivo acorazado alemán. Bismarck. Una vez localizados, los buques de superficie de la Royal Navy y los aviones torpederos del portaaviones HMS Ark Royal convergió en el poderoso buque de guerra y la remató. La pérdida representó un golpe paralizante para el Kriegsmarine.


Batalla de Caen, 6 de junio a 6 de agosto de 1944

La batalla de Caen (6 de junio-6 de agosto de 1944) fue una de las batallas clave durante la Operación Overlord, y aunque los británicos y canadienses lograron sus principales objetivos, el fracaso en la captura de Caen provocó rápidamente una gran controversia.

El plan de Montgomery & rsquos para la batalla de Normandía siempre había sido forzar a los alemanes a comprometer sus fuerzas más poderosas en el este, en lo que parecería ser el punto lógico para la ruptura de los aliados hacia París y la frontera alemana, permitiendo a los estadounidenses avanzar aún más. hacia el oeste y se adentra en Bretaña y detrás de los ejércitos alemanes que luchan en Normandía. Sin embargo, la expectativa había sido que Caen caería el Día D o poco después, dando a los Aliados el control de las áreas planas alrededor de la ciudad, que eran adecuadas para la construcción de aeródromos.

La geografía de Caen causa cierta confusión con las direcciones. El río Orne fluye generalmente de sur a norte, atraviesa Caen y desemboca en el mar. Caen está dividida por el río, con el casco antiguo en la margen izquierda del río y una serie de suburbios y áreas industriales en la margen derecha. Sin embargo, en la ciudad misma, el río atraviesa un recodo "lsquoS", por lo que el casco antiguo está al norte del río y algunos de los suburbios al sur del río. Por lo tanto, a veces se hace referencia a la margen izquierda como la margen occidental o la parte trasera norte, mientras que la margen derecha es la margen este o sur. Un segundo río, el Odón, fluye generalmente al noreste y desemboca en el Orne justo al sur de Caen.

Percha de operación y día D

El mismo día D, los británicos y canadienses aterrizaron con éxito en sus playas, pero la 21a División Panzer montó un contraataque en la brecha entre las playas de Juno y Sword, y esto combinado con un progreso más lento de lo esperado en el interior significó que Caen permaneció en manos alemanas en el final del dia.

En la noche del Día D, una fuerza de tanques de Staffordshire Yeomanry, con el apoyo de la 2.ª Infantería Ligera King & rsquos Shropshire llegó a Lebisey Wood, a sólo tres millas al norte de la ciudad. Sin embargo, los bosques estaban en manos de un grupo de batalla de la 21ª División Panzer, y los británicos no pudieron avanzar más.

Durante los dos días siguientes, los alemanes tuvieron una breve oportunidad de hacer retroceder a los aliados, ya que trasladaron tres divisiones panzer a Caen. Sin embargo, los temores de Rommel & rsquos sobre el poder aéreo aliado resultaron correctos. Panzer Lehr tuvo que mudarse de Le Mans, y aunque la mayoría de sus tanques sobrevivieron, muchos vehículos de apoyo esenciales se perdieron y la división no estaba en condiciones de participar en una ofensiva cuando llegó a Caen. La 12.ª División Panzer SS sufrió una falta de combustible y luego fue atacada por los canadienses en el aeródromo de Carpiquet. El Panzer 21 fue dividido por la mitad por el Orne y, por lo tanto, no pudo llevar a cabo un contraataque coordinado. El 9 de junio, Rommel había decidido que la posibilidad de hacer retroceder a los aliados al mar había desaparecido y ordenó a sus hombres que se pusieran a la defensiva mientras se preparaban para un contraataque a gran escala.

Una vez que quedó claro que Caen no caería el Día D, los planes aliados tuvieron que ser alterados. La Operación Perch, que originalmente había sido un plan para un avance hacia el sureste de Caen para convencer a los alemanes de que el principal ataque aliado vendría en esa área, se convirtió en un asalto en dos frentes a la ciudad. Esto comenzó el 10 de junio, pero avanzó poco. Se desarrollaron intensos combates alrededor de Tilly-sur-Seulles, que cambiaron de manos varias veces durante los días siguientes. Luego se informó a los británicos que se había desarrollado una brecha al oeste de Caen, donde los estadounidenses habían infligido graves daños a una división de infantería alemana. En un intento de aprovechar este Caumont Gap, se ordenó a la 7ª División Blindada que avanzara alrededor del extremo occidental del frente Panzer Lehr en Tilly. En la mañana del 13 de junio habían llegado a Villers-Bocage, pero luego fueron emboscados por el famoso as de tanques Michael Wittmann, quien destruyó tres tanques en el centro de la aldea y ayudó a tender una emboscada a una fuerza mayor hacia el este. Se desarrolló una feroz batalla alrededor de la ciudad, pero al final del día los británicos decidieron retirarse. La última oportunidad de tomar Caen sin una batalla importante se había esfumado, aunque en este punto los alemanes aún eran capaces de formar nuevas líneas, por lo que los beneficios potenciales de aferrarse a Villers-Bocage bien podrían haberse exagerado desde entonces.

Operación Epsom, 26-27 de junio de 1944

Montgomery decidió lanzar su próximo gran ataque contra Caen al oeste de la ciudad. El objetivo de la Operación Epsom era romper las líneas alemanas al oeste de la ciudad, cruzar el río Odon, que fluye al noreste hacia el Orne en Caen, luego cruzar el Orne y asegurar el terreno elevado al suroeste de la ciudad. El ataque sería llevado a cabo por el VIII Cuerpo del Segundo Ejército Británico de Dempsey & rsquos, mientras que el XXX Cuerpo llevaría a cabo un ataque preliminar para capturar Rauray Ridge, que dominaba el campo de batalla desde el oeste. El plan original requería apoyo aéreo del Reino Unido, pero tuvo que reducirse debido al mal tiempo. El mal tiempo, en particular la Gran Tormenta del 19 al 21 de junio, ralentizó la acumulación aliada, por lo que Epsom tuvo que posponerse desde mediados de junio hasta finales de mes.

El ataque preliminar, Operación Martlet, comenzó el 25 de junio. El objetivo era llevar un terreno elevado alrededor de Rauray, desde donde los observadores de artillería alemanes pudieran llamar al campo de batalla de Epsom. El ataque fue llevado a cabo por la 49 División y no logró su objetivo principal. La división hizo un buen progreso por su derecha, pero se estancó en el flanco izquierdo más importante. Como resultado, el terreno elevado alrededor de Rauray todavía estaba en manos alemanas cuando comenzó Epsom el 26 de junio. Martlet continuó durante los siguientes días, y Raurey finalmente cayó el 27 de junio y el ataque continuó al día siguiente. Sin embargo, pronto quedó claro que los alemanes estaban planeando un contraataque, por lo que las tropas comenzaron a prepararse para defender lo que habían capturado.

La Operación Epsom comenzó con un bombardeo de artillería de tres horas de duración, que causó un gran daño en la línea del frente, pero falló en la segunda línea. Las 44.ª Brigadas de las Tierras Altas y la 46.ª Brigadas de las Tierras Bajas comenzaron a avanzar y pronto pasaron la primera línea. La segunda línea alemana, justo al norte del Odon, resistió durante más tiempo, pero los escoceses pudieron capturar Cheux, desde donde dos caminos bajaban al Odon. Los británicos terminaron el día decepcionados, pero los alemanes terminaron preocupados. El general Dietrich, comandante del I Cuerpo Panzer SS, pidió refuerzos para detener un avance. Rommel finalmente acordó enviar cuatro divisiones panzer al área, incluidas las Divisiones Panzer SS 9 y 10 del recién llegado II Cuerpo Panzer SS.

El 27 de junio, los británicos finalmente cruzaron el Odón y comenzaron a avanzar hacia el sur hasta la colina 112, desde donde habrían tenido una vista de Caen. Esa noche empezaron a llegar los refuerzos alemanes, y el general Dollman insistió en que debían lanzar un contraataque inmediato el 28 de junio. Esto no logró nada, y al final del día Dollman murió, ya sea de un ataque al corazón o suicidándose. En el lado británico, el puente sobre el Odon en Gavrus fue capturado intacto, y los tanques de la 11ª División Blindada alcanzaron la cima de la colina 112. Sin embargo, el reconocimiento aéreo y otras fuentes de inteligencia dejaron en claro que era probable que se produjera un gran contraataque alemán. El general Dempsey decidió cancelar cualquier intento de avanzar hacia el Orne, ya que eso habría hecho que la estrecha cabeza de playa británica fuera aún más larga y vulnerable. Se retiraron las tropas británicas más avanzadas y se estableció una fuerte posición defensiva alrededor del Odón.

Contraataque alemán de Odón

El 1 de julio, los alemanes lanzaron un gran contraataque contra la cabeza de puente de Epsom. La mayor parte de este ataque se produjo en el oeste, donde el recién llegado II Cuerpo Panzer SS atacó el flanco derecho de la nueva cabeza de puente. A la izquierda atacaron con Kampfgruppe Weidinger de la 2ª División Panzer SS & lsquoDas Reich & rsquo. La siguiente en la fila fue la 9ª División Panzer SS & lsquoHohenstaufen & rsquo, con la 10ª División Panzer SS & lsquoFrundsburg & rsquo a la derecha de este ataque.

En el lado británico, el ataque golpeó al primer Tyneside Scottish en Rauray, procedente de la fuerza Martlet, y las fuerzas de Epsom más al sur. Su mayor ventaja era que Ultra había avisado del próximo ataque. Para evitar el corte de tropas, se retiraron las fuerzas más avanzadas.

Los alemanes habían planeado atacar a las 3 am, pero los británicos lanzaron un bombardeo de artillería preventivo. Los alemanes comenzaron a moverse a las 6 de la mañana, atacando desde el oeste. Por la izquierda se acercaron a Rauray, pero los británicos pudieron mover sus fuerzas de apoyo a la acción, y una serie de ataques durante el día fueron todos derrotados. En el centro, la 9.ª División Panzer SS intentó tomar La Valtru, pero sin éxito. A la derecha, la 10.ª División Panzer SS tomó brevemente Baron-sur-Odon, pero no pudo aferrarse a él, mientras que un ataque desde la colina 112 fue interrumpido por la artillería británica. Al final del día, los británicos volvieron a su posición original.

Aunque Epsom no había logrado todos sus objetivos, los británicos habían capturado una cabeza de puente sobre el Odón y, lo que es más importante, habían obligado a los alemanes a enviar al recién llegado II SS Panzer Corp a la lucha en Caen, en lugar de poder usarlo para una batalla. contraataque hacia Bayeux. Esto marcó un patrón para el resto de la batalla y siempre que los alemanes pudieran crear una reserva blindada, los británicos y canadienses atacarían en Caen y se verían obligados a enviar a los Panzers a la batalla defensiva.

Operación Charnwood, 8-9 de julio

Después de otra pausa, Montgomery decidió lanzar un gran ataque en la parte norte de Caen. Unos días antes del ataque principal, los canadienses intentaron capturar el aeródromo de Carpiquet, al oeste de la ciudad (Operación Windsor, 4-5 de julio de 1944). Pudieron tomar el pueblo en sí, justo al noreste del aeródromo y la parte norte del aeródromo, pero los alemanes se mantuvieron en el extremo sur.

La operación Charnwood en sí sería llevada a cabo por tres divisiones del General Crocker & rsquos I Corps y la 3ª División canadiense a la derecha, la 59ª División (Staffordshire) en el centro y la 3ª División a la izquierda. Sería precedido por un bombardeo masivo llevado a cabo por 467 bombarderos pesados ​​Lancaster y Halifax, que se esperaba que lograra grandes cosas (especialmente por Harris). Sin embargo, el impacto inmediato de la redada fue decepcionante. Los aviadores insistieron en llevarlo a cabo a última hora del 7 de julio en lugar de la mañana del 8 de julio como estaba previsto, porque la previsión meteorológica les venía mejor el día 7. Como resultado, los alemanes pudieron recuperarse del impacto antes del ataque. En segundo lugar, Harris había insistido en una línea de bombas 6.000 yardas por delante de las posiciones británica y canadiense, y se centró en Caen en lugar de las aldeas periféricas, por lo que la incursión no alcanzó muchas de las defensas alemanas, en las aldeas fuera de Caen.

El ataque fue lanzado por las Divisiones 3 y 59. La 3.a División hizo el progreso más rápido y pronto comenzó a abrumar a la 16a. Luftwaffe Field Division, que acababa de hacerse cargo de la parte norte de Caen. Más al oeste, la 12.ª División Panzer SS aguantó todo el día, pero la posición alemana se derrumbó a su derecha. De la noche a la mañana, los alemanes se retiraron de todo Caen al norte del Orne y escaparon a través del río. En este punto, el bombardeo aliado detuvo a sus tropas y los alemanes pudieron formar una nueva línea a lo largo del río.

Charnwood fue seguida por la Operación Júpiter (10-11 de julio de 1944), un intento de recuperar la colina 112 en el frente de Odon. Los británicos lograron hacerse un hueco en la colina, pero no pudieron despejarla por completo. El ataque terminó después de un día, con la cabeza de puente británica ligeramente agrandada.

Operación Goodwood y Operación Atlántico, 18 de julio-

Aunque la parte norte de Caen había caído, los alemanes todavía ocupaban el sur y el este industrial, incluidas las torres de las fábricas de Colombelles, una excelente posición de observación. También parecían estar a punto de trasladar tropas al oeste hacia St. Lo y el sector estadounidense clave. Montgomery decidió lanzar otro gran ataque en Caen, esta vez en el área al este de la ciudad.

El objetivo clave de la Operación Goodwood era una cresta baja y plana justo al sur de Caen. Esto se conocía como la cresta de Bourguebus para los británicos y la cresta de Verrieres para los canadienses, después de las aldeas en las partes oriental y occidental de las laderas norte de la cresta. Esta cresta es apenas perceptible en las fotografías del área, pero era lo suficientemente alta como para bloquear las vistas, ocultar tanques y artillería o para dar a quien controlaba el terreno más alto una vista imponente de la zona generalmente muy plana. Mientras los blindados llevaban a cabo el ataque principal hacia el sur, la infantería británica limpiaría las áreas al este de Caen, mientras que los canadienses limpiarían a los alemanes de los suburbios del sur de la ciudad, en la margen derecha del Orne (Operación Atlántico ). Goodwood se convertiría en una de las batallas más controvertidas de la campaña de Normandía, principalmente debido a las diferentes expectativas en cuanto a sus objetivos. Para Montgomery, el objetivo principal de la batalla era inmovilizar la armadura alemana alrededor de Caen y evitar que los alemanes trasladaran refuerzos hacia el oeste para oponerse a la próxima fuga (Operación Cobra). Sin embargo, para obtener el apoyo total de sus planes, y en particular para convencer a la RAF de llevar a cabo el bombardeo masivo que quería, Montgomery parece haber exagerado los cambios de una fuga hacia Falaise. Eisenhower ciertamente parece haber esperado algo similar, al igual que el alto mando de la RAF.

En un intento de distraer a los alemanes, se lanzaron dos ataques al oeste de Caen. La Operación Greenline comenzó el 15 de julio y vio el ataque del XII Cuerpo hacia Evrecy, que fue capturado durante la batalla. La Operación Pomegrante comenzó el 16 de julio y fue llevada a cabo por el XXX Cuerpo. Los dos ataques ayudaron a convencer a los alemanes de mover la 9.a División Panzer SS Hohenstaufen a la orilla occidental del Orne.

La Operación Goodwood fue un ataque ambicioso. El mayor problema fue que los británicos solo tenían una pequeña cabeza de puente al este del Orne y al norte de Caen, en gran parte el área capturada el Día D. Esto no era lo suficientemente grande como para tomar las tres divisiones blindadas, por lo que las tropas líderes tendrían que comenzar el ataque mientras la segunda y tercera divisiones todavía estaban cruzando el Orne. As a result only part of the massive armoured force would actually get into action. 11th Armoured Division, which led the attack, would be fully engaged. The Guards Armoured Division would also be able to commit significant forces to the fighting. The 7th Armoured Division would hardly be involved at all. On the eastern flank the 3rd Infantry Division and 152nd (Highland) Brigade were to protect the left flank of the armoured assault.

The attackers also faced very strong defences, with five interconnected defensive lines running back for ten miles from the front. However they lost Rommel, who was badly injured in an air attack on 17 July and never returned to the front. The German line east of Caen was held by the LXXXVI Corps, with the remains of the 16th Luftwaffe Division and the 356th Infantry Division in the front line and the 21st Panzer Division in reserve. The I SS Panzer Corps was further to the south, and both of its panzer divisions had been withdrawn from the front line &ndash the 12th SS Panzer Division to regroup and recover and the 1st SS Panzer Division as the local reserve. The Germans also had a fairly significant number of guns on the Bourgeubus ridge.

The battle began with another massive air attack, this time with 2,600 British and American bombers, dropping 7,500 tons of bombs onto carefully selected targets around the attack area. The artillery opened fire at 0640, and the advance began at 0745. At first the British tanks made very good progress, and they were soon approaching Bourguebus ridge. However they then ran into intact German defences, and had got too far ahead of their supporting infantry. The Guards Armoured Division joined the fighting, but instead of the much anticipated tank breakthrough, the battle turned into a series of small scale fights for individual villages. On the German side the ease with which the British had advanced as far as they did caused a great deal of concern. The 1st SS Panzer Division was ordered to launch a counterattack, but this wasn&rsquot actually noticed by the British at the time! On the left flank the British infantry also made decent progress, capturing a series of villages and pushing the Germans away from the eastern edge of Caen. 19 July saw a German counterattack that was repulsed along most of the line, while the British cleared up those villages that hadn&rsquot fallen on the previous day.

On the Allied right the Canadians carried out Operation Atlantic, with the aim of protecting the right flank of Goodwood and clearing the Germans out of the last bits of Caen. It was carried out by General Guy Simonds&rsquo newly activated Canadian 2nd Corps. The Canadian 3rd Division was to attack from the Orne bridgehead in the north and from the city centre, while the Canadian 2nd Division attacked from the west of Caen. Atlantic also began on 18 July. On their left the 3rd Division captured Colombelles village and steelworks, the chateau de Colombelles and Giberville, although in some cases only after day long battles. The 9th Brigade, coming from the north, advanced down the right bank of the river and attacked the suburb of Vaucelles, south of the city centre. The German defenders withdrew to avoid being cut off. In the west the 2nd Division attack began in the evening. On their right the division was held up at Louvigny, but in the centre and left they were able to bridge the Orne and cross into Vaucelles.

On 19 July the Canadians successfully cleared the remaining Germans out of southern Caen. However this ended the successful part of the operation. On 20 July they pushed south onto the Bourgeubus Ridge, and ran into intact German defences. Poor weather limited the amount of air support available, and the Germans were even able to launch successful counterattacks. The same was repeated on 21 July and 22 July, before the operation ended. Atlantic had achieved its main aim of clearing Caen, but the ridges south of the city remained in German hands. Once again this was only achieved by moving armour east of the Orne, making it unavailable to deal with Operation Cobra.

Although Goodwood is now mainly remembered as a failed breakthrough, it actually achieved Montgomery&rsquos main aim of pinning the German armour down around Caen. It also greatly worried the Germans &ndash General Eberbach considered it to have been a great defeat, and coming very close to achieving a breakthrough, while for von Kluge it indicated that the battle of Normandy was lost. On 21 July he reported to Hitler that the German line &lsquoalready so heavily strained, will break.

After Goodwood

Although Goodwood and Atlantic left Caen securely in Allied hands, the official dates for the battle of Caen take it up to 8 August, and the start of Operation Totalize, the first major Canadian attack towards Falaise. Fighting did continue around Caen, although it was soon overshadowed by Operation Cobra, the start of the American breakthrough, which began on 25 July. The general aim around Caen was to push the Germans further away from the city. On 22 July 1944 British troops attacked to the south of Caen (Operation Express), and captured the village of Maltot, just west of the Orne and less than five miles from the city centre.

The biggest of these attacks was Operation Spring (25-26 July 1944), a Canadian attack on the Verrieres ridge. The attack was to be carried out by the newly activated Canadian 2nd Corps, under General Simonds. The corps contained the 2nd and 3rd Canadian Infantry Divisions, of which the 3rd had suffered heavy casualties on D-Day and the 2nd was new to battle, the Canadian 2nd Armoured Brigade and 2nd Army Group Royal Artillery.

Planning for this attack began on 21 July, in response to a delay in the start of Operation Cobra from 20 July. The aim was to push the Germans off the slightly higher ground south of the city, and pin them down in the east. However this area was strongly defended, and the Germans had access to a series of mine tunnels that linked several of the villages. When the Canadians attacked, the Germans were thus able to pop up in areas that were meant to have been cleared, preventing the attack from gaining any momentum. The Canadian attacks on 25 July were defeated at heavy cost, making it the second most costly day for Canada during the entire war, second only to Dieppe. The attack only took one of its objectives, and had to be called off early on 26 July when the bad news reached General Simonds. However the attack did achieve its main aim, pinning the Germans down south of Caen. It also attracted the attention of Field Marshal Kluge, who spent 25 July on the Caen front, just as the western end of the German front was crumbling. Kluge didn&rsquot leave the Caen area until the afternoon of 27 July, by which time the breakthrough had begun.

The main focus on the British front then moved west, to Operation Bluecoat, which began on 28 July. This saw two British corps attack from the Caumont area, half way between Caen and Saint Lo, with the aim of supporting the American advance.

Over the next few days the Americans broke right through the German lines and began to fan out into Brittany to the west and towards Le Mans in the east. It soon became clear that there was now a chance to trap a large part of the German army in Normandy, if the Canadians could push south from Caen and the Americans push north from around Le Mans and Alencon. The new target would be Falaise. The official end date of the battle of Caen is thus the same day as the start of the first Canadian attempt to break through to Falaise, Operation Totalize (8-11 August 1944).

The battle of Caen was key to the overall Allied victory in Normandy, but it wasn&rsquot as glamorous and its successes less obvious than Operation Cobra. Repeated British and Canadian attacks made slow but steady progress, rarely reaching their more optimistic targets. Montgomery often failed to fully explain his overall plan, and on occasion even Eisenhower began to worry. However on the German side each of the famous offensives caused a great deal of alarm. Every time they managed to release their panzer divisions from the front, there would be another attack, and they would have to be committed to desperate defensive battles. The same happened to fresh divisions as they reached Normandy. Perhaps the most important example of this was the decision to commit the two freshly committed Panzer divisions of the II SS Panzer Corps to the fight against Operation Epsom, a move that forced Rommel to abandon his own plans for an attack towards Bayeux. Goodwood was seen as a disaster on the German side, and a sign that the front was about to crack. Even Operation Spring, a costly failure for the Canadians, distracted Field Marshal Kluge at the moment when he was needed on the American front. The long bitter battle for Caen may have been controversial, but it drew in most of the German panzers, and helped pave the way for the spectacular American breakthrough then breakout at the other end of the line.

Stout Hearts: The British and Canadians in Normandy 1944, Ben Kite. Looks in detail at the role of each element in the British and Canadian military machine during the Normandy Campaign, including each aspect of the ground forces from the infantry to the armour, intelligence, reconnaissance and medical services, as well as the air support and the fire power provided by the massive Allied fleets off the Normandy coast. A very useful companion to narrative accounts of the campaign, helping to explain how the British and Canadians managed to overcome the determined German resistance on their front [read full review]

Mémorial de Caen: No trip to the D-Day Landing Beaches is complete without a visit to the Mémorial de Caen just be sure to designate a full afternoon to it. This vast museum focuses both on the history and repercussions of war in the 20th century, as well as post-war peace keeping. Inaugurated in 1988, the museum stands on the very soil where some of the fighting for Caen took place in 1944, and perhaps understandably its D-Day exhibit is particularly fascinating, using a large split screen to depict the D-Day Landings simultaneously from Allied and German viewpoints.

Vaugueux neighbourhood: With its Caen-stone houses dating back to the Middle Ages, this neighbourhood is probably one of the most popular, best-known parts of Caen. It is also a trendy nightspot whose many restaurants and bars come to life in the evenings along the main street (rue du Vaugueux) and old town square. Edith Piaf herself used to come here to see her grandparents, who ran a café in the neighbourhood!

Hôtel d’Escoville: One of Caen’s finest buildings, which now houses the local tourist office

The marina: Just around the corner from one of the liveliest, best-restored corners of the old city centre, this scenic marina full of yachts and surrounded by smart modern apartment blocks may come as a pleasant surprise to anyone unfamiliar with Caen, and is a great place for a stroll.

Jardin des Plantes: Caen prides itself on being a green city and this botanical garden is one of the many reasons why. Thanks to Gallard de la Ducquerie, a professor at Caen’s Faculty of Medicine, who acquired the land in 1689 and filled it with rare plants, the garden is now home to over 2,000 different species.

Women’s Abbey: This abbey was built for Queen Matilda on a similarly grand scale to the Men’s Abbey between 1060 and 1080. The 11th-century Church of the Holy Trinity is a fine example of Norman architecture and houses the tomb of Queen Matilda, wife of William the Conqueror. The superb crypt, with its barrel vaults supported by 16 close-ranked columns, is remarkable, as are the 18th-century convent and French-style garden.

Men’s Abbey: William the Conqueror, to regain the favour of the Pope, who disapproved of his marriage to his distant cousin, Matilda Princess of Flanders, ordered the construction of the Men’s Abbey in 1066. Construction began in the Norman style but the abbey was completed in gothic style in the 13th century, and houses William’s tomb. The abbey is an architectural masterpiece, its elegant lines mixing the simplicity of Norman architecture with gothic intricacy. The large monastic buildings later attached to the abbey now house Caen Town Hall.

Caen Castle: One of the largest walled fortifications in Europe, this castle was built for William the Conqueror, who made Caen into a great centre of power in Normandy. Damaged during the bombings of 1944, the castle has since been restored and its extensive walls and towers make for an impressive sight. Within the ramparts, explore the castle’s two museums, the Musée des Beaux-Arts (Fine Arts Museum) and the Musée de Normandie (which explores the region’s history and ethnography). Also worth a visit at Caen Castle are the Salle de l’Échiquier (Treasury Chamber) and Church of Saint-Georges.


How to get to Caen

Caen is conveniently situated two hours from Paris by train and a mere 15 minutes from the cross-Channel port of Ouistreham, which operates regular sailings to Portsmouth in the UK. The city also has its own airport in the neighbouring town of Carpiquet. Caen is within driving distance of popular Normandy attractions including Bayeux and its famous tapestry, the D-Day Landing Beaches, and the picturesque Pays d’Auge, home of cider and cheese. Beaches and towns where you can enjoy traditional seaside fun are also just on the doorstep. Caen even boasts its own yachting marina, the Bassin Saint-Pierre, right in the heart of town.


Wiltshire Community History


The town of Devizes developed around the Norman castle which was probably built c.1080 by Osmund, Bishop of Salisbury. There is little evidence of prehistoric settlement on the site, but some Roman remains have been found in the Southbroom area of the town.

The castle was built on a promontory on the western edge of the Marlborough Downs with the valley of the Avon to the west and the Pewsey Vale to the east, 9 miles from Calne, 14 miles from Marlborough and 12 miles from Trowbridge. Because Osmund built his castle on the boundaries of the King's manor of Rowde and his own manors of Cannings and Potterne it became known as ' castrum ad divisas', the castle at the boundaries.

The original castle was probably a motte, or tower, of wood with an outer bailey protected by a ditch, stockade and drawbridge. This structure burnt down in 1113 and was rebuilt in stone by Richard of Caen, Osmund's successor as Bishop of Salisbury. The castle was described by a contemporary, Henry of Huntingdon, as 'the finest and most splendid in Europe', but little now remains of it apart from fragments of the foundations.

On several occasions important prisoners were held in Devizes castle, an indication of how impregnable it was considered to be. In 1106 Robert of Normandy, the eldest son of William the Conqueror, was imprisoned here when his younger brother Henry seized the throne during Robert's absence at the First Crusade. He was to remain a prisoner at Devizes for the next twenty years before being moved to Cardiff where he died in 1134.

The years 1139 to 1141 were full of incident for the inhabitants of the castle and the town that was developing outside its walls. The heir to the throne, following the death of the King Henry I's only son, was his daughter Matilda, who was also known as the Empress Maud as she was the widow of the Holy Roman Emperor. Henry I died in 1135 having extracted an oath from the barons and bishops, including Roger, that they would accept her as queen, but his nephew, Stephen of Blois, invaded England to claim the throne and was supported by many of the barons and bishops.

At this time Roger was one of the most powerful and influential men in England. During Henry's reign he had been appointed Justiciar of England, as well as being Bishop of Salisbury, and had deputised for the King when Henry was abroad. In addition Roger had appointed his natural son, also called Roger, to the post of Chancellor and two of his nephews to bishoprics.

Roger declared his support for Stephen but he must have been considered a dangerous ally as, in 1139, during an assembly at Oxford, Stephen used a disagreement between his French followers and Roger's retainers as an excuse to arrest Roger, his son and nephews. Matilda (also called Maud) of Ramsbury, who was Roger's mistress and the mother of his son, was at this time holding Devizes castle but when Stephen arrived and threatened to hang her son she surrendered the castle to him. Bishop Roger was freed but forced to surrender all his possessions to Stephen and he died later in the year, a broken man.

Meanwhile Matilda and her followers were advancing through the West Country and so Stephen now moved on to try to stop her, besieging the castle at Trowbridge on the way, and leaving a party of soldiers to hold the castle at Devizes.

Robert Fitzhugh, a Flemish adventurer stated that if he held Devizes Castle he could control all the lands between London and the west, and in Stephen's absence he captured the castle, using leather ladders to avoid waking the garrison. He proceeded to lay waste the surrounding country and when Matilda's brother Robert, Earl of Gloucester, sent a force to take over the castle for Matilda he refused to hand it over. Eventually he was captured and when his men refused to surrender the castle in return for their leader's life Fitzhugh and two of his nephews were hanged in front of them. Stephen subsequently regained control by paying the remaining mercenaries to leave. Count Hervey of Brittany, Stephen's son-in-law, took over the castle, but the local townspeople had become so disenchanted by the activities of Fitzhugh that in 1141 they besieged the castle and eventually forced Hervey to surrender to Matilda's forces. By this stage Stephen had been captured at Lincoln and Matilda had been proclaimed Queen although she was never crowned. In gratitude to the people of Devizes she granted them freedom from certain tolls, which in effect gave them the right to hold a regular market.

For the remaining seven years of the civil war Devizes stayed in Matilda's hands, although Stephen's troops sometimes ravaged the surrounding areas, and she was often in the town.

Matilda retired to Normandy in 1148 and died in 1167. Her son Henry took up the cause and used Devizes as a base for campaigns in the West Country. He successfully repelled an attack on the castle by Stephen's son Eustace. Eventually he forced Stephen to recognise him as his heir.

The Crown retained possession of the castle until the seventeenth century, and together with the land around Devizes and Rowde, the Old and New Parks and the right of appointment to the forests of Chippenham and Melksham it made a very important royal gift.

The castle was again used as a prison when King John's second wife, Isabella, was sent there in 1206. She gave birth to a son there in 1209, and in 1216 John sent the Royal regalia and crown jewels to the castle for safe keeping. John died later that year and was succeeded by his nine-year-old son, Henry III, who was living in the castle at the time in the care of the governor.

During the 12th and 13th centuries the town of Devizes developed outside the castle with craftsmen and traders setting up businesses to provide the residents of the castle with goods and services. Following the granting by Matilda of the charter allowing a market, the town grew rapidly. The layout of the streets followed the line of the castle's defence ditches, of which there were four, and the regularity of the burgage plots in New Park Street and the Market Place suggests that it was deliberately planned, rather than developing piece meal. The medieval market place was in the large space outside St Mary's Church, rather than in the modern Market Place, which at that time would have been within the castle's outer bailey. A market cross stood near to the White Bear Inn in Monday Market Street.

The town had achieved such importance by 1295 that it was summoned to send two representatives to Edward I's Model Parliament, and continued to be represented in most other parliaments of the period, although there seems to have been an economic decline from 1332 to1336 when the town's importance was reduced and it was not represented.

The first mention of a market in Devizes is for 1228 although there were probably earlier ones established without royal permission. In 1567 a second market was granted, to be held in St. Mary's parish on Mondays, but it seems to have ceased by 1814. A Thursday market, which had been established by 1609, is still held weekly in the Market Place.

The chief products in the sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries were corn, wool and yarn, with cheese, bacon and butter increasing in importance later. Fish was brought up from Poole, and John Aubrey considered Devizes to be the best fish market in the county. By the early nineteenth century there was a twice weekly market for butchers meat and in 1842 the market for corn and malt was described as one of the most important in England.

Over the centuries various commodity markets lapsed and were revived again. The cheese market had finally ceased by 1903 when the market was said to be for corn, poultry, butter and vegetable. In 1939 corn, cattle, pigs and poultry were sold, though by then cattle and corn were of minor importance.

The actual sites of the different markets have changed over the years. The first markets were held in front of St Mary's Church, but with the physical deterioration of the castle defences the townspeople gradually took over the open area of the castle bailey where the present Market Place is situated. Other areas which have been used include Short Street, Wine Street, St. John's Street and High Street.


A number of market halls were built at different periods to house the corn market, cheese market, wool market and butchers shambles. The Corn Exchange was built in 1857 and has a statue of Ceres, the Roman goddess of the harvest, surmounting it. The Shambles, in the corner of the Market Place, was built in 1838, and now houses market stalls on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

The present market cross was the gift of Lord Sidmouth and one side of it tells the story of Ruth Pierce, a market woman from Potterne, who dropped dead in the Market Place in 1753 after lying about payment for a purchase of wheat.

The earliest fair in Devizes was granted in 1208 for the benefit of the local lepers. It was to be held yearly on the eve and feast of St. Denis (8th and 9th October), but by 1223 the Bishop of Salisbury seems to have displaced the lepers and was disputing the rights of the fair with the constable of the castle. Other fairs are recorded between this time and the sixteenth century when, in 1567 the corporation was granted two fairs of its own. In 1685 the Crown granted another new fair, known locally as the 'wholesale fair', to be held in St. John's parish on 10th April.

By 1759 there were seven fairs, held on Candlemas (13th February), Maundy Thursday, Trinity Thursday, 15th July, 9th September, 2nd and 20th October. Some fairs specialised in particular merchandise: the Trinity fair, for example was predominantly for horses, while the one in July was for wool.

As with the markets the fairs prospered and declined over the years with the occasional revival but the remaining two, held in July and February, ceased in 1939 and 1942 respectively.

The direct involvement of Devizes in the war between King Charles I and Parliament was due partly to its position between the King's headquarters in Oxford and the south west of England where he had strong support. This made the town of strategic importance to both sides. At the outbreak of the war the town's two MPs, Edward Bayntun and Robert Nicholas, were supporters of Parliament but there was strong Royalist sympathy within the town led by the mayor, Richard Pierce.

When the war broke out in 1642 some of the castle's fortifications were repaired and locks, chains and barricades were set up across the road entering the town from London.

In 1643 the Royalist Sir Ralph Hopton and his army fought a series of engagements with the Parliamentary forces under Sir William Waller, culminating in an indecisive battle at Lansdowne near Bath. Hopton was injured in an explosion and the Royalists made for Devizes where they could hold off Waller's forces while Hopton recovered. Waller camped near the village of Roundway and besieged the town. Hopton's men were very short of ammunition and, following the failure of a relief party to reach Devizes, it was decided to send a small party of cavalry to Oxford to fetch guns, powder and bullets. In the meanwhile Hopton ordered his men to collect all the bed cords in the town and to boil them in resin to make match. Lead was stripped from the church roofs to melt down to make bullets.

Waller began to bombard the town with cannon balls and canister shot and at one stage his cavalry reached the outer streets of the town but failed to get through the heavy barricades. As he was expecting reinforcements to arrive Hopton refused to surrender and employed delaying tactics to play for time. Waller, confident that Royalist reinforcements would be intercepted before they reached him, agreed to a six hour parley. This turned out to be a fatal mistake as the Royalists were not stopped and Waller had to hastily redeploy his men to face the relief force.

At 4.00 p.m. the Royalists under Lord Wilmot reached Roundway Down. They had fired a gun at Roughridge Hill to alert Hopton to their arrival but his officers, fearing a trick, persuaded him not to leave the town. This left the relief force outnumbered three to one.

The battle was fought on the Downs between Roughridge Hill, King's Play Hill, Roundway Hill and Morgan's Hill. Initial attacks by the Parliamentarians were repulsed and the Royalist Cavalry, despite attacking uphill, put the opposing cavalry to flight and pursued them for three miles across the Downs to a steep hillside. Many of the Parliamentary men and their horses were killed in what became known as the 'Bloody Ditch'. Hopton, realising that a battle was taking place, emerged from the town and his infantry helped turn the Parliamentarian retreat into a rout. Waller escaped to Bristol but his army was almost totally destroyed.

For the next two years Devizes remained under Royalist control, during which time the King arranged for more work to be done on improving the castle's fortifications. The moat was cleared and the drawbridge repaired.

The castle was manned by four hundred Welshmen under Sir Charles Lloyd when Oliver Cromwell reached Devizes in September 1645 and demanded their surrender. Following their refusal Cromwell set up 10 guns in the Market Place and bombarded the castle. One shell landed in the roofless keep where the powder was stored and although it failed to explode Lloyd surrendered. He and his officers were allowed to join the king at Oxford. Parliament ordered that the castle should be destroyed and this was carried out in 1648.

There is little evidence of any established industry before the fourteenth century but from this period the leather, metal and textile trades seem to have predominated. In the sixteenth century Devizes became known for its white woollen broadcloth but in the following century the trade in white cloth apparently declined and was replaced by serge manufacture and later the production of drugget, which was being exported to Russia up to about 1753. Felt was also made.

In about 1785 John Anstie built a factory for the production of cassimere, a closely woven fancy fabric, and in 1788 he was said to have three hundred looms in use. Much of this cloth was sold abroad but the French wars severely limited trade, with the result that he went bankrupt in 1793.

From this period there was a decline in the textile trades in Devizes but other trades continued to establish themselves. These included clock making, a bell foundry, booksellers, milliners, grocers and silversmiths.

Two trades of particular importance came to prominence in the eighteenth century: these were brewing and tobacco. Brewing and malting had been carried out on a small scale for centuries, but in the mid eighteenth century the firm of Rose and Tylee was established and the site of their brewery, in Northgate Street, is now part of the brewers Wadworth and Co. who were founded in 1875.

From the early part of the eighteenth century tobacco was cured and snuff ground in Devizes. The earliest records are of Richard Anstie who had a shop on the corner of Snuff Street and the Market Place. For some years William Leach used two windmills, originally built to grind oilseed rape, which stood on the old castle motte, to grind snuff. The Anstie family continued its interest in tobacco with a factory in John Anstie's former cloth factory. In 1944 the Imperial Tobacco Company bought the business. The production of snuff ceased in 1957 and the curing of tobacco in 1961.

The construction of the Kennet and Avon Canal at the end of the 18th century revealed a large area of Gault and lower greensand clays which were ideal for brickmaking. The Devizes Brick and Tile Company was founded at Caen Hill and continued production until its closure in 1961.

New industries developed in the nineteenth century and continued into the twentieth. These included agricultural engineering (Brown and May, and T.H.White Ltd.), building contractors (W.E.Chivers and Sons Ltd., and Rendells), dairy produce (North Wilts Dairy Co. Ltd.), bacon production (Central Wiltshire Bacon Co.) and electrical manufacturing (Cross Manufacturing Co. and the Hinchley Engineering Co.). During World War II a flax industry was established to make parachute harnesses and tents.

The Kennet and Avon Canal was constructed between 1794 and 1810. It linked Devizes to Bristol and London, and to the Wilts and Berks Canal at Semington and the Somerset Coal Canal. Because of opposition from a local landowner the route for the canal caused major technical problems: within a distance of 2 1/2 miles it had to rise 237 feet from the valley of the Avon to the Pewsey Vale. This was accomplished by means of 29 locks, 17 of them in one flight at Caen Hill.

The main cargo on the canal was coal from Somerset, and the Wharf became a depot for its distribution. Other cargoes included Devizes beer for London, West Indian tobacco from Bristol for Anstie's factory, and building materials.

The success of the canal was short lived. The railway arrived in Devizes in 1857 but GWR had purchased the canal in 1852 and its use gradually declined and it fell into disuse.

In 1951 the fight to save the canal began in earnest with the formation of the Kennet and Avon Canal Association, and in 1990 the Queen celebrated the reopening of the full length of the canal by travelling through one of the locks at Caen Hill.

Proposals for a railway service for Devizes were made as early as 1836 but they come to nothing. Five years later the steep incline at Caen Hill caused Brunel to adopt the Swindon to Chippenham main line route from London to Bristol rather than taking the line through Devizes and Bradford-on-Avon. Opposition from local landowners also delayed things but in 1856 the Somerset and Weymouth Railway agreed to extend a single line track from Holt Junction to Devizes and the service opened in 1857. In 1862 the Great Western Railway opened an extension of the Berkshire and Hampshire line from Hungerford which linked Devizes to London, but the building of the Westbury line through Lavington again bypassed Devizes. The railway closed in 1966.

Churches: Information on both current and disused churches and chapels.

Schools: Information on both current and closed schools.

Photographs: If images have been added for this community they are available here.: We hold a collection of over 50,000 photographs of places in Wiltshire in the County Local Studies Library. These may be viewed at this library and copies of out of copyright material may be purchased. We can search for a picture of a building or event if you e-mail us with details.

Historical Sources: A select list of books and articles is listed in 'Printed material'. You may go directly to the actual text from some of these.

Printed Material: This is a select book-list for the community but in the case of a town there may be hundreds more books, pamphlets and journal articles.

The full text of some items is available to view on this site.

The Victoria History of Wiltshire (opens in new window) is a partnership between local authorities and the Institute of Historical Research at London University. The History of Wiltshire is now the largest county history in the country and is still growing. The volumes are divided between general and topographical with Volumes One to Five covering subjects such as prehistory, ecclesiastical, economic and political history. The Volumes from Six onwards are topographical and will ultimately provide a comprehensive and systematic history of every single town and parish in the county.

(opens in new window) Explore Wiltshire's Past web site

Newspapers from 1738: These newspapers covered this community at different times. Newspaper titles in bold text are either the ones you should check first for information about this community.

Maps: listed are maps on which you can find this community. All maps are Ordnance Survey maps.

Archaeological Sites: A Sites and Monuments Record (opens new window) is maintained by the County Archaeology Service and covers some 20,000 sites. The Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society was formed in 1853 and have been publishing an annual journal since 1854. The journal contains both substantial articles and shorter notes on archaeological excavations, finds, museum objects, local history, genealogy and natural history.

History of Buildings: The collections of the Wiltshire Buildings Record are housed in the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre at Chippenham.

Listed Buildings: The number of buildings, or groups of buildings, listed, as being of architectural or historical importance, is 323. There are five Grade I listings, Devizes Castle, No. 17 Market Place, Brownstone House and wall, the Church of St. Mary and the Church of St. John the Baptist, and 46 Grade II* listings.

Local Authors: There could be an author who was born or has lived in this community.

Literary Associations: Some communities have featured in novels or may have been the main setting for a book.

Registration Districts: If you want to obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate you can contact the local registrar.

Search the Wiltshire Studies Catalogue This will take you to our library catalogue where you will need to limit to 'Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre' for branch and re-enter your search term to find books on the subject. Please enter more than one word, e.g. 'Salisbury + market' unless you are looking for a small community.

If you have a local history enquiry, contact the County Local Studies Library


From February to December (except December 25th and January 1st) daily 10am-6pm
July and August daily 10am-7pm
Guided tours (free) Weekends and holidays English 11:30am French 3:30pm
July and August: Daily English 11:30am anmd 3:30pm French 10am and 2pm

Admission
Adult 7.50 euros children 6-16 years 3.50 euros
Family pass (2 adults and child between 6 and 16 years) 18 euros

Falaise Tourist Office
Boulevard de la Libération
14700 Falaise, Calvados, Normandy
Tél.: +33 (0)2 31 90 17 26
Falaise Tourism Website

Where to Eat in Falaise
La Fine Fourchette
52 rue Georges Clemenceau
14700 Falaise, Normandy
Tel.: 00 33 (0)2 31 90 08 59
A welcoming, friendly local restaurant, family run with father and son turning out very good dishes, particularly fish. Set menus from 16 euros and a good a la carte.


Ver el vídeo: Chateau de Caen, Caen, France.