Condado de Addison LST-31 - Historia

Condado de Addison LST-31 - Historia

Condado de Addison

Un condado en el centro-oeste de Vermont.

(LST-31: dp. 3.960; 1. 328 '; b. 50'; dr. 14'1 "; s. 11.6 k .; cpl. 119; a. 6 40 mm., 12 20 mm., 2 .30- mg cal .; el. LST-1)

El LST-31 fue establecido el 2 de febrero de 1943 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 5 de junio de 1943 patrocinado por la Sra. Mauriee Endres aceptado por la Marina y colocado en comisión reducida el 0 de julio de 1943, y navegó a Nueva Orleans, donde fue colocada en plena comisión el 21 de julio de 1943, bajo el mando del teniente John D. Schneidau, Jr., USNR.

El nuevo barco de desembarco de tanques se puso en marcha el 29 de julio con destino a la ciudad de Panamá, Florida, donde realizó una serie de ejercicios de varada. El LST-31 regresó a Nueva Orleans el 7 de agosto para embarcar carga para su transporte al Pacífico. Después de un breve paso por puerto en la Bahía de Guantánamo, Cuba, el buque transitó por el Canal de Panamá el 24 de agosto y se unió a la Flota del Pacífico. Luego continuó hacia San Diego, California, donde llegó el 13 de septiembre.

Después de participar en ejercicios de varada en el área de San Diego, el barco se detuvo en Port Hueneme y en San Franciseo, California, para tomar carga. Salió de la costa oeste el 15 de octubre con destino a Hawai, llegó a Pearl Harbor el día 25 y comenzó a descargar. Cuando se completó esta tarea, LST ~ 31 nuevamente levó anclas el 5 de noviembre y formó un rumbo hacia las Islas Gilbert. Como miembro de la 5ª fuerza anfibia, el barco estaba programado para participar en el asalto a la isla Makin.

El LST ~ 31 llegó a la costa de Makin el día 20 y comenzó a descargar tropas y carga en tierra. Permaneció fuera de ese atolón hasta el 31 de diciembre, cuando se puso en marcha para regresar a Pearl Harbor. l Poco después de su llegada, la embarcación entró en Pearl Harbor Navy Yard para reparaciones y alteraciones. Mientras se reparaban sus motores, se instalaron cañones adicionales de 40 y 20 milímetros. El período de astillero terminó a principios de enero de 1944, y la embarcación renovada participó en ejercicios de entrenamiento frente a Maui en preparación para la inminente invasión de las Islas Marshall.

El buque de desembarco de tanques salió de Pearl Harbor el 19 de enero y puso rumbo a Kwajalein. Fondeó en ese atolón el 1 de febrero y comenzó a descargar su cargamento en apoyo de las operaciones en las Marshalls. El 12 de febrero, el barco comenzó a embarcar tropas para la invasión de Eniwetok y, cinco días después, hizo una incursión con el Grupo LST 8. El día 20 llegó a la playa de Eniwetok y comenzó a desembarcar a sus soldados y descargar carga en tierra. LST ~ 31 permaneció allí hasta el 20 de marzo, cuando se puso en marcha para Hawái. Se detuvo en el camino en Kwajalein y Tarawa para cargar carga y pasajeros y finalmente llegó a Pearl Harbor el 15 de abril.

Después de las reparaciones en el dique seco allí, reanudó las operaciones el 10 de mayo con una serie de ejercicios de entrenamiento en Hapuna Bay, Hawai. El día 25, el LST-31 salió de aguas de Hawai con destino a Eniwetok. A su llegada a ese atolón el 7 de junio, repostó y tomó carga en preparación para las operaciones contra Saipán. El barco llegó a la costa de Saipán el 14 de junio y comenzó a descargar tropas y suministros en tierra. Despejó el área el 23 y regresó a Eniwetok para reponer su cargamento.

LST ~ 31 regresó a Saipán el 17 de julio; suministros descargados y embarcaciones pequeñas; y, durante las próximas semanas, sirvió como barco hospital. Por la noche, ancló frente a Saipan para recibir las comodidades y estaba navegando frente a Tinian durante las horas del día. Esta asignación ocupó el barco hasta el 21 de agosto, cuando comenzó un viaje de ida y vuelta a Eniwetok. Después de regresar a Saipán, el barco se sometió a tres días de reparaciones y se puso en marcha el 23 de septiembre hacia la costa oeste de los Estados Unidos. En el camino, tocó Eniwetok; Islas Gilbert Apamama y Makin; y Pearl Harbor. Salió de este último puerto el 6 de noviembre y llegó a San Francisco, California, el 17 de noviembre de 1944.

Después de un día en el puerto allí, el LST-31 navegó a San Pedro para ingresar a los astilleros de West Coast Shipbuilding Co. para realizar extensas modificaciones y reparaciones. El barco salió del astillero a principios de febrero de 1945 y realizó pruebas en el mar y llegó al astillero Mare Island Navy Yard de Vallejo, California, el 18 de febrero para embarcarse en una embarcación anfibia. Luego visitó Seattle, Washington, para realizar trabajos de reparación adicionales. El 10 de marzo, el barco se puso en marcha hacia Hawai y llegó a Pearl Harbor el día 23.

LST ~ 31 salió de Hawai el 4 de abril hacia Okinawa. Embarcó pasajeros y cargó suministros en Eniwetok y Guam antes de continuar hacia el Ryukyus y anclar en aguas frente al suroeste de Okinawa el 3 de mayo. Permaneció en la zona durante aproximadamente tres semanas proporcionando apoyo logístico a las tropas que combatían en Okinawa. El barco llegó a UIithi el 28 de mayo, tomó carga y, el 2 de junio, puso rumbo a la isla de Leyte en Filipinas.

Durante los meses de junio, julio y agosto, el LST-31 operó entre Filipinas y Okinawa, transportando suministros y tropas entre los dos puntos para construir Okinawa como base para la conquista de las islas de origen japonesas. Sin embargo, esta invasión fue obviada cuando Japón capituló el 15 de agosto. Luego, el barco comenzó a trasladar tropas y equipos de ocupación a Japón desde varios puntos de Filipinas. Llegó por primera vez a aguas japonesas el 15 de septiembre, cuando echó anclas en la bahía de Tokio.

El 30 de noviembre, el LST-31 fue asignado al servicio en Japón con la Quinta Flota, Grupo Anfibio 11, Flotilla LST 35. Sin embargo, estas órdenes fueron reemplazadas a fines de diciembre y el barco estaba programado para su desmantelamiento. Estaba programada para ser entregada a la marina mercante japonesa para ser tripulada por una tripulación japonesa bajo control estadounidense para su uso en la repatriación de ciudadanos japoneses y el transporte de suministros entre puertos japoneses. Después de que el barco fue despojado de todo el armamento y otros equipos de guerra, el LST-31 fue dado de baja el 8 de enero de 1946 y transferido a los japoneses.

El buque operó bajo control japonés hasta mayo de 1948. Partió de Yokohama el 3 de ese mes y compartió rumbo hacia la costa oeste de los Estados Unidos. El barco de aterrizaje de tanques fue atracado más tarde en el área de Seattle. El 1 de julio de 1955, LST ~ 31 fue nombrado condado de Addison. Su nombre fue eliminado de la lista de la Marina el 11 de agosto de 1955, y posteriormente fue hundida como objetivo.

El condado de Addison ganó cinco estrellas de batalla por su servicio en la Segunda Guerra Mundial.


USS LST-31

USS Condado de Addison (LST-31) fue un LST-1buque de desembarco de tanques de clase construido para la Armada de los Estados Unidos durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial. Llamada así por el condado de Addison, Vermont, fue la única embarcación naval de los EE. UU. Que llevó el nombre.

El LST-31 fue establecido el 2 de febrero de 1943 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania por Dravo Corporation lanzado el 5 de junio de 1943 patrocinado por la Sra. Maurice Endres aceptado por la Marina y puesto en comisión reducida el 10 de julio de 1943 y navegó a Nueva Orleans donde estaba puesto en plena comisión el 21 de julio de 1943 con el teniente John D. Schneidau, Jr., USNR, al mando.


Condado de Addison LST-31 - Historia

El LST-30 fue establecido el 12 de enero de 1943 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp. lanzado el 3 de mayo de 1943 patrocinado por la Sra. C. B. Jansen y encargado el 3 de julio de 1943.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-30 fue asignado al teatro europeo y participó en la siguiente operación:

Invasión de Normandía-junio de 1944

LST-30 fue dado de baja el 6 de marzo de 1946 y fue eliminado de la lista de la Marina el 8 de mayo de 1946. El 2 de abril de 1947, fue vendida a W. Horace Williams Co., de Nueva Orleans, Luisiana, y se convirtió para servicio comercial. .

LST-30 ganó una estrella de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

El LST-81 fue establecido el 2 de febrero de 1943 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp. lanzado el 5 de junio de 1943 patrocinado por la Sra. Maurice Endres y encargado el 21 de julio de 1943.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-31 sirvió en el teatro AsiaticPacific y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

Operación de las Islas Gilbert: noviembre y diciembre de 1943

Operación Islas Marshall:

a) Ocupación de los atolones de Kwajalein y Majuro: enero y febrero de 1944

b) Ocupación del atolón de Eniwetok: febrero y marzo de 1944

(a) Captura y ocupación de Saipán, de junio a agosto de 1944

Captura y ocupación de Tinian: julio y agosto de 1944

a) Asalto y ocupación de Okinawa Gunto, mayo de 1945

Inmediatamente después de la guerra, LST-31 realizó tareas de ocupación en el Lejano Oriente hasta principios de enero de 1946. Regresó a los Estados Unidos y fue dado de baja el 8 de enero de 1946. El 1 de julio de 1955, LST-31 fue nombrado condado de Addison en honor a un condado en Vermont. Su nombre fue eliminado de la lista de la Marina el 11 de agosto de 1955 y fue hundida como objetivo.

El condado de Addison ganó cinco estrellas de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial como LST-31.

El LST-32 fue depositado el 17 de febrero de 1943 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp. lanzado el 22 de mayo de 1943 patrocinado por la señorita Dorothy M. Manko y encargado el 12 de julio de 1943, el teniente Gardner P. Mulloy al mando.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-32 fue asignado al teatro europeo y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

Invasión del sur de Francia: agosto y septiembre de 1944

LST-32 fue dado de baja en julio de 1946. Se volvió a poner en servicio el 7 de marzo de 1951. El 1 de julio de 1955, LST

A 82 se le asignó el nombre de condado de Alameda en honor a un condado de California. Fue reclasificada en el condado de Alameda (AVB-1) el 28 de agosto de 1957, fue dada de baja el 25 de junio de 1962 y fue eliminada de la lista de la Marina ese mismo mes. El 20 de noviembre de 1962 fue transferida a la Armada italiana.

El condado de Alameda ganó dos estrellas de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial como LST-32.

LST-33 fue establecido el 23 de febrero de 1943 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp. lanzado el 21 de junio de 1943 patrocinado por la Sra. Paul J. Walsh commis

mencionada el 4 de agosto de 1943 y transferida a la Armada griega el 18 de agosto de 1943, con la que sirvió durante el resto de la Segunda Guerra Mundial. Fue vendida al gobierno de Grecia en enero de 1947 y sirvió allí como Samos (L-179). Fue eliminada de la lista de la Marina el 23 de junio de 1947.

El LST-34 fue establecido el 15 de marzo de 1943 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp. lanzado el 15 de junio de 1943 patrocinado por la Sra. Verne C. Cobb y encargado el 26 de julio de 1943.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-34 sirvió en el teatro AsiaticPacific y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

Operación de las Islas Gilbert: noviembre y diciembre de 1943

Operación Islas Marshall:

a) Ocupación de los atolones de Kwajalein y Majuro: enero y febrero de 1944

b) Ocupación del atolón de Eniwetok: febrero y marzo de 1944

(a) Captura y ocupación de Saipan-junio de 1944

Desembarco de Leyte-octubre y noviembre de 1944

Desembarco de Lingayen en Luzón, enero de 1945

a) Asalto y ocupación de Okinawa Gunto - mayo de 1945

Después de la guerra, LST-34 cumplió con el deber de ocupación en el Lejano Oriente de marzo a noviembre de 1946. Regresó a los Estados Unidos y fue dado de baja el 15 de noviembre de 1946 y transferida al Gobierno Militar, Ryukyus. Su nombre fue eliminado de la lista de la Marina el 23 de diciembre de 1947. Encalló en el Lejano Oriente en enero de 1949 y su casco fue abandonado.

LST-34 ganó seis estrellas de batalla para el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

El LST-35 fue establecido el 20 de marzo de 1943 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp. lanzado el 30 de junio de 1943 patrocinado por la Sra. Samuel G. Cooper y transferido al gobierno de Grecia el 18 de agosto de 1943 con el que sirvió a través de el resto de la Segunda Guerra Mundial. Fue vendida al gobierno de Grecia en enero de 1947 y sirvió allí como Quíos (L-195). Su nombre fue eliminado de la lista de la Marina el 23 de junio de 1947.

LST-36 fue establecido el 21 de abril de 1943 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp. lanzado el 10 de julio de 1943 patrocinado por la Sra. Franklin Keen y transferido al gobierno de Grecia el 23 de agosto de 1943 con el que sirvió durante el resto de la Segunda Guerra Mundial. Fue vendida al gobierno de Grecia en enero de 1947 y sirvió allí como Lemnos (L-158). Su nombre fue eliminado de la lista de la Marina el 23 de junio de 1947.

El LST-37 fue depositado el 1 de abril de 1943 en Pittsbu rgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp. lanzado el 5 de julio de 1943 patrocinado por la Sra. Jack Domb y transferido al gobierno de Grecia el 18 de agosto de 1943. Encalló frente a Bizerte , Túnez, el 1 de junio de 1944, y se hundió. Su nombre fue eliminado de la lista de la Marina el 12 de agosto de 1948.

El LST-38 fue depositado el 14 de abril de 1943 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 27 de julio a las 19.43, patrocinado por la señorita Bertha Karpinski y encargado el 3 de septiembre de 1943.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, el LST-38 fue asignado al teatro Asia-Pacífico y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

Operación en las Islas Marshall:

a) Ocupación de los atolones de Kwajalein y Majuro: enero y febrero de 1944

Operación del archipiélago de Bismarck,

a) Desembarco en las islas del Almirantazgo en marzo y abril de 1944

Operación Hollandia-abril de 1944

a) Captura y ocupación de Guam, julio de 1944

Después de la guerra, LST-38 fue redesignada como LSTH38 el 15 de septiembre de 1945. Realizó tareas de ocupación en el Lejano Oriente hasta mediados de noviembre de 1945.

A su regreso a los Estados Unidos, el barco fue dado de baja el 26 de marzo de 1946 y eliminado de la lista de la Marina el 1 de mayo de 1946. El 5 de diciembre de 1947, fue vendido a Ships and Power Equipment Co., de Barber, Nueva Jersey, y posteriormente desguazado.

LSTH-38 ganó cuatro estrellas de batalla para el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial como LST-38.

El LST-39 fue establecido el 23 de abril de 1943 por Dravo Corp. en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, lanzado el 29 de julio de 1943, patrocinado por la Sra. LA Mertz y encargado el 8 de septiembre de 1943. Fue asignada al área del Pacífico durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial pero no vi ninguna acción de combate. Se hundió en el verano de 1944, y fue eliminada de la lista de la Armada el 18 de julio de 1944. Más tarde fue reflotada, convertida en una barcaza de distribución de repuestos y redesignada YF-1079. Sirvió en la Armada en esa capacidad hasta algún momento entre julio de 1945 y enero de 1946, momento en el que YF-1079 desapareció de la lista de la Armada.


Premios [editar | editar fuente]

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-31 sirvió en el Teatro Asia-Pacífico y participó en la operación de las Islas Gilbert (noviembre y diciembre de 1943) la operación de las Islas Marshall, (a) la ocupación de los atolones de Kwajalein y Majuro (enero y febrero de 1944), y (b) ocupación del atolón de Eniwetok (febrero y marzo de 1944) operación de las Marianas, (a) captura y ocupación de Saipan (junio a agosto de 1944) captura y ocupación de Tinian (julio y agosto de 1944) y operación de Okinawa Gunto, asalto y ocupación de Okinawa Gunto (mayo de 1945). Condado de Addison ganó cinco estrellas de batalla por su servicio en la Segunda Guerra Mundial.


  • Ciudad de Hancock de Vermont Historical Gazetteer.
  • Secretario de la ciudad de Hancock:
    Correo: P.O. Caja 100
    Físico: 48 VT Ruta 125 Hancock, VT 05748
    P: 802-767-3660
    F: 802-767-4370
    E: [email protected]
  • Ciudad de Leicester de Vermont Historical Gazetteer. (sitio oficial)
  • Sociedad histórica de Leicester - se reúne en el Ayuntamiento de Leicester
  • Secretario de la ciudad de Leicester:
    44 Schoolhouse Rd. Leicester, VT 05733
    P: 802-247-5961 x3
    F: 802-247-6501
    E: [email protected]

Condado de Addison LST-31 - Historia

Tomado del Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, vol. VII (1981), págs. 569-731.

El LST-1 fue establecido el 20 de julio de 1942 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp. lanzado el 7 de septiembre de 1942 patrocinado por la Sra. Laurence T. Haugen, y comisionado el 14 de diciembre de 1942, el Teniente W. L. Chessman al mando.

Durante la Primera Guerra Mundial, LST-1 fue asignado al teatro europeo y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

  • Ocupación siciliana-julio de 1943
  • Desembarco de Salerno-septiembre de 1943
  • Fase de operaciones Anzio-Nettuno en la costa oeste de Italia, de enero a marzo de 1944
  • Invasión de Normandía-junio de 1944

El LST-1 fue dado de baja el 21 de mayo de 1946 y fue eliminado de la lista de la Marina el 19 de junio de 1946. El 5 de diciembre de 1947, fue vendido a Ships Power and Equipment Co., de Barber, Nueva Jersey, para su desguace.

LST-1 ganó cuatro estrellas de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

El LST-2 fue establecido el 23 de junio de 1942 en Pittsburgh Pa., Por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 19 de septiembre de 1942 patrocinado por la señorita Nancy Jane Hughes y encargado el 9 de febrero de 1943.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-2 fue asignado al teatro europeo y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

  • Ocupación del norte de África, principios de 1943
  • Ocupación siciliana-julio de 1943
  • Desembarco de Salerno-septiembre de 1943
  • Invasión de Normandía-junio de 1944

El LST-2 fue dado de baja el 11 de abril de 1946 y fue eliminado de la lista de la Armada el 5 de junio de 1946. El 5 de diciembre de 1947, fue vendido a Bosey, Filipinas.

LST-2 ganó cuatro estrellas de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

El LST-3 fue establecido el 29 de junio de 1942 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 19 de septiembre de 1942, patrocinado por la Sra. A. C. Harlow, y encargado el 8 de febrero de 1943

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-S fue asignado al teatro europeo y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

  • Ocupación siciliana de julio a agosto de 1943
  • Invasión del sur de Francia: agosto a septiembre de 1944

LST-3 fue dado de baja en algún momento después del final de la Segunda Guerra Mundial y fue eliminado de la lista de la Marina el 19 de junio de 1946. El 10 de septiembre de 1947, fue vendida a Boston Metals Co., de Baltimore, Maryland, para su desguace.

LST-3 ganó dos estrellas de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

El LST-4 fue establecido el 4 de julio de 1942 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 9 de octubre de 1942 patrocinado por la Sra. J. Bartolo y encargado el
14 de febrero de 1943.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-4 fue asignado al teatro europeo y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

  • Ocupación siciliana-julio de 1943
  • Desembarco de Salerno-septiembre de 1943
  • Operaciones en la costa oeste de Italia: Anzio-Nettuno, desembarcos avanzados en enero y febrero de 1944
  • Invasión del sur de Francia: agosto y septiembre de 1944

LST-4 fue dado de baja en algún momento después del final de la Segunda Guerra Mundial y fue eliminada de la lista de la Marina el 19 de junio de 1946. El 10 de septiembre de 1947, fue vendida a Boston Metals Co., de Baltimore, Maryland, para su desguace.

LST-4 ganó cuatro estrellas de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

El LST-5 fue establecido el 12 de julio de 1942 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 3 de octubre de 1942 patrocinado por la Sra. Wanetta Rose Barker y encargado el 22 de febrero de 1943.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-5 fue asignado al teatro europeo y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

  • Ocupación siciliana-julio de 1943
  • Desembarco de Salerno-septiembre de 1943
  • Invasión de Normandía-junio de 1944

El LST-5 fue dado de baja en algún momento después del final de la Segunda Guerra Mundial y fue eliminado de la lista de la Marina el 1 de agosto de 1947. El 7 de octubre de 1947, fue vendido a Tung Hwa Trading Co., de Singapur, para su desguace.

LST-5 ganó tres estrellas de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

El LST-6 fue establecido el 20 de julio de 1942 en Wilmington, Delaware, por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 21 de octubre de 1942 patrocinado por la Sra. H. E. Haven y encargado el 30 de enero de 1943

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-6 fue asignado al teatro europeo y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

  • Ocupación siciliana-julio de 1943
  • Desembarco de Salerno-septiembre de 1943
  • Invasión de Normandía-junio de 1944

El 17 de noviembre de 1944, fue minada y hundida en seis brazas de agua mientras se dirigía desde Rouen, Francia, a Portland, Inglaterra. Fue eliminada de la lista de la Marina el 22 de diciembre de 1944.

LST-6 ganó tres estrellas de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

El LST-7 fue establecido el 17 de julio de 1942 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 31 de octubre de 1942 patrocinado por la Sra. Anna Marvin, y encargado el 2 de marzo de 1943.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-7 fue asignado al teatro europeo y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

  • Ocupación siciliana-julio de 1943
  • Desembarco de Salerno-septiembre de 1943
  • Invasión de Normandía-junio de 1944

El LST-7 fue dado de baja el 21 de mayo de 1946 y fue eliminado de la lista de la Marina el 19 de junio de 1946. El 7 de octubre de 1947, fue vendido al Sr. L. Lewis Green, Jr. de Charleston, Carolina del Sur, para su desguace.

LST-7 ganó tres estrellas de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

El LST-8 fue depositado el 26 de julio de 1942 en Pittsburgh Pa., Por Dravo Corp. lanzado el 29 de octubre de 1942 patrocinado por la Sra. Anne H. Johnston, y transferido al Reino Unido el 22 de marzo de 1943.

El LST-8 fue devuelto del Reino Unido el 1 de junio de 1946 y fue eliminado de la lista de la Armada el 3 de julio de 1946. El 5 de diciembre de 1947, fue vendido a Bosey, Filipinas.

El LST-9 fue depositado el 9 de agosto de 1942 en Pittsburgh Pa., Por Dravo Corp. lanzado el 14 de noviembre de 1942 patrocinado por Miss Katherine Moxin, y transferido al Reino Unido el 19 de marzo de 1943. El LST-9 fue devuelto al Reino Unido Marina de los Estados el 1 de junio de 1946 y fue eliminada de la lista de la Marina el 3 de julio de 1946. El 5 de septiembre de 1948, fue vendida a Bosey Filipinas.

LST-10

LST-10 fue redesignado ARL-1 y nombrado Achelous (q.v.) el 13 de enero de 1943.

LST-11

El LST-11 fue depositado el 8 de agosto de 1942 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 18 de noviembre de 1942, patrocinado por Miss Virginia Fowler, y transferido al Reino Unido el 22 de marzo de 1943

El LST-11 fue devuelto a la Armada de los Estados Unidos el 13 de mayo de 1946 y fue eliminado de la lista de la Armada el 5 de junio de 1946. El 5 de diciembre de 1947, fue vendido a Bosey, Filipinas.

LST-12

El LST-12 fue depositado el 16 de agosto de 1942 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 7 de diciembre de 1942 patrocinado por la Sra. Joseph Fay y transferido al Reino Unido el 25 de marzo de 1943.

El LST-12 fue devuelto a la Armada de los Estados Unidos el 5 de enero de 1946 y fue eliminado de la lista de la Armada el 20 de marzo de 1946. El 11 de septiembre de 1947, fue vendido a Washburn Wire Co., Philipsdale, Rhode Island, para su desguace.

LST-13

El LST-13 fue depositado el 1 de septiembre de 1942 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por la Dravo Corp. lanzada el 1 de enero de 1943, patrocinada por la Sra. Jean A. Brackmann y transferida al Reino Unido el 3 de abril de 1943.

LST-13 fue devuelta a la Armada de los Estados Unidos el 27 de febrero de 1946 y fue eliminada de la lista de la Armada el 5 de junio de 1946. El 14 de octubre de 1947, fue vendida a Luria Brothers and Co., Inc., de Filadelfia, Pensilvania, para desguace.

LST-14

LST-14 fue redesignado AGP-5 y nombrado Varuna (q.v.) el 25 de enero de 1943.

LST-15

LST-15 fue redesignado ARB-3 y nombrado Phaon (q.v.) el 25 de enero de 1943.

LST-16

El LST-16 fue establecido el 1 de septiembre de 1942 en Wilmington, Delaware, por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 19 de diciembre de 1942 patrocinado por la Sra. Lois M. Alexander y encargado el 17 de marzo de 1943.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-16 fue asignado al teatro europeo y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

  • Ocupación del norte de África:
    a) Operaciones en Túnez, julio de 1943
  • Ocupación siciliana-septiembre de 1943
  • Desembarco de Salerno-septiembre de 1943
  • Operaciones en la costa oeste de Italia:
    a) Desembarcos avanzados de Anzio-Nettuno, enero y febrero de 1944
  • Invasión de Normandía-junio de 1944

Después de la guerra, LST-16 cumplió su deber de ocupación en el Lejano Oriente en septiembre y noviembre de 1945. Fue dada de baja el 8 de marzo de 1946 y fue eliminada de la lista de la Marina el 12 de abril de 1946. El 5 de diciembre de 1947, fue vendida a Barcos y Power Equipment Co., de Barber, Nueva Jersey, para desguace.

LST-16 ganó cinco estrellas de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

LST-17

El LST-17 fue establecido el 21 de septiembre de 1942 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 8 de enero de 1943, patrocinado por la Sra. Sarah H. Bankson y encargado el 19 de abril de 1943, el teniente HB Gallagher, USCGR, en comando.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-17 fue asignado al teatro europeo y participó en la siguiente operación:

Después de la guerra, el LST-17 cumplió tareas de ocupación en el Lejano Oriente de forma intermitente desde septiembre hasta diciembre de 1945. Fue dado de baja el 15 de enero de 1946. El 15 de noviembre de 1954, fue trasladada al Comandante del 13º Distrito Naval, para su uso como objetivo móvil. y fue hundido el 15 de agosto de 1956 por fuego de torpedo.

LST-17 ganó una estrella de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

LST-18

El LST-18 fue establecido el 1 de octubre de 1942 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 15 de febrero de 1943, patrocinado por la señorita Ruth Watt, y encargado el 26 de abril de 1943.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-18 sirvió en el teatro Asia-Pacífico y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

  • Fase de ocupación de Finschhafen de la operación de Nueva Guinea Oriental, septiembre de 1943
  • Operación del archipiélago de Bismarck:
    (a) Desembarco del cabo Gloucester en Nueva Bretaña: diciembre de 1943 y enero de 1944
    b) Desembarco en las islas del Almirantazgo: marzo y abril de 1944
  • Operación Hollandia-abril y mayo de 1944
  • Operaciones de Nueva Guinea Occidental:
    a) Zona de Toem-Wakde-Sarmi, mayo de 1944
    (b) Isla Biak-junio de 1944
    (c) Isla Noemfoor-julio de 1944
    (d) Cabo Sansapor-julio y agosto de 1944
    e) Desembarco de Morotai, septiembre de 1944
  • Desembarco de Leyte-octubre y noviembre de 1944
  • Desembarco de Lingayen en Luzón, enero de 1945
  • Consolidación del sur de Filipinas
    a) Desembarco en la isla de Palawan, marzo de 1945
    b) Desembarco en las islas Visayan: marzo y abril de 1945

Después de la guerra, LST-18 cumplió su deber de ocupación en el Lejano Oriente hasta principios de noviembre de 1945. Regresó a los Estados Unidos y fue dada de baja el 3 de abril de 1946. Fue eliminada de la lista de la Marina el 17 de abril de 1946 y vendida a la Suwannee. Fruit & amp Steamship Co., de Jacksonville, Florida, el 31 de octubre de 1946 para su conversión al servicio comercial

LST-18 ganó siete estrellas de batalla para el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

LST-19

El LST-I9 fue establecido el 22 de octubre de 1942 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 11 de marzo de 1943, patrocinado por la Sra. Frances P. Gott, encargado el 15 de mayo de 1943 y redesignado como LSTH el 15 de septiembre de 1945.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-19 fue asignado al teatro Asia-Pacífico y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

  • Operación de las Islas Gilbert: noviembre y diciembre de 1943
  • Operación Marianas:
    (a) Captura y ocupación de Saipan-junio y julio de 1944
  • Captura y ocupación de Tinian-julio de 1944
  • Operaciones de las Islas Carolinas Occidentales:
    a) Captura y ocupación de las islas Palau meridionales: septiembre y octubre de 1944

Después de la guerra, LST-I9 cumplió su deber de ocupación en el Lejano Oriente en octubre y diciembre de 1945. Fue dada de baja el 20 de marzo de 1946 y eliminada de la lista de la Armada el 1 de mayo de 1946. El 5 de diciembre de 1947, fue vendida a Ships and Power Equipment Co., de Barber, Nueva Jersey, para desguace.

LST-19 obtuvo cuatro estrellas de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

LST-20

El LST-20 fue establecido el 5 de octubre de 1942 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 15 de febrero de 1943 patrocinado por la señorita Anne B. Sylvester, y encargado el 14 de mayo de 1943.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-20 sirvió en el teatro Asia-Pacífico y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

  • Operación de las Islas Gilbert: noviembre y diciembre de 1943
  • Desembarco de Leyte-octubre de 1944
  • Desembarco de Lingayen en Luzón, enero de 1945
  • Operación Okinawa Gunto:
    a) Asalto y ocupación de Okinawa Gunto, abril de 1945

Después de la guerra, el LST-20 cumplió funciones de ocupación en el Lejano Oriente hasta principios de noviembre de 1945. Regresó a los Estados Unidos y fue dado de baja el 3 de abril de 1946. Fue eliminada de la lista de la Marina el 19 de junio de 1946 y transferida al Maritime Administración el 8 de octubre de 1947 para su eliminación por desguace.

LST-20 obtuvo cuatro estrellas de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

LST-21

El LST-21 fue establecido el 25 de septiembre de 1942 en Wilmington, Delaware, por Dravo Corp. lanzado el 18 de febrero de 1943, patrocinado por la Sra. Lillian M. Lloyd y encargado el 14 de abril de 1943.

El buque de desembarco de tanques fue asignado al teatro europeo y participó en la invasión de Normandía en junio de 1944.

A su regreso a los Estados Unidos, el barco fue dado de baja el 25 de enero de 1946 y eliminado de la lista de la Marina el 19 de junio de 1946. Fue vendido a Louis Feldman, de Flushing, Nueva York, el 12 de marzo de 1948 y posteriormente desguazado.

LST-21 ganó una estrella de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

LST-22

El LST-22 fue establecido el 5 de noviembre de 1942 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 29 de marzo de 1943 patrocinado por la Sra. WA Barnes, y comisionado el 29 de mayo de 1943, el teniente LN Ditlefsen, USCG, al mando. .

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-22 sirvió en el teatro Asia-Pacífico y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

  • Operación del este de Nueva Guinea:
    (a) Ocupación de Saidor-enero y febrero de 1944
  • Operación del archipiélago de Bismarck:
    (a) Cabo Gloucester, Nueva Bretaña-diciembre de 1943, enero y febrero de 1944
    b) Desembarco en las islas del Almirantazgo: marzo y abril de 1944
  • Operación Hollandia-abril y mayo de 1944
  • Operaciones de Nueva Guinea Occidental:
    a) Operación en la zona de Toem-Wakde-Sarmi, mayo de 1944
    b) Operación en la isla de Biak, mayo y junio de 1944
    (c) Operación en la isla Noemfoor, julio de 1944
    (d) Operación Cabo Sansapor-julio y agosto de 1944
    e) Desembarco de Morotai, septiembre de 1944
  • Desembarco de Leyte-octubre y noviembre de 1944
  • Desembarco de Lingayen en Luzón, enero de 1945

LST-22 regresó a los Estados Unidos y fue dado de baja el 1 de abril de 1946. Fue eliminada de la lista de la Marina el 17 de abril de 1946 y fue vendida a MingSung Industrial Co., Ltd., de Shanghai, China, el 3 de febrero de 1947 para ser convertido para servicio comercial.

LST-22 ganó seis estrellas de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

LST-23

El LST-23 fue establecido el 27 de octubre de 1942 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 13 de marzo de 1942 patrocinado por la Sra. Mary H. Miller y encargado el 22 de mayo de 1943.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-23 sirvió en el teatro Asia-Pacífico y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

  • Operación de las Islas Gilbert: noviembre y diciembre de 1943
  • Operación en las Islas Marshall:
    a) Ocupación de los atolones de Kwajalein y Majuro, febrero de 1944
  • Operación Marianas:
    (b) Captura y ocupación de Saipan-junio y julio de 1944
  • Captura y ocupación de Tinian-julio de 1944
  • Operación Western Caroline Islands:
    a) Captura y ocupación de las islas Palau meridionales: septiembre y octubre de 1944
  • Desembarco de Lingayen en Luzón, enero de 1945

El 15 de septiembre de 1945, fue redesignada como LSTH. Inmediatamente después de la guerra, LSTH-23 cumplió con el deber de ocupación en el Lejano Oriente hasta principios de diciembre de 1945. Regresó a los Estados Unidos y fue dado de baja el 24 de mayo de 1946. Fue eliminada de la lista de la Marina el 3 de julio de 1946 y vendida a la Kaiser Co., Inc. Seattle, Washington, el 6 de abril de 1948 para su desguace.

LSTH-23 ganó seis estrellas de batalla para el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial como LST-23.

LST-24

El LST-24 fue establecido el 19 de noviembre de 1942 en Pittsburgh, Pensilvania, por Dravo Corp., lanzado el 17 de abril de 1943, patrocinado por la Sra. Marguerite E. Davis y encargado el 14 de junio de 1943

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-24 fue asignado al teatro Asia-Pacífico y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

  • Operación Marianas:
    a) Captura y ocupación de Guam, agosto de 1944
  • Operación de Nueva Guinea Occidental:
    a) Desembarco de Morotai, septiembre de 1944
  • Desembarco de Leyte-octubre y noviembre de 1944
  • Operación Okinawa Gunto:
    a) Asalto y ocupación de Okinawa Gunto: marzo y junio de 1945

LST-24 fue dado de baja el 26 de febrero de 1946 y fue eliminado de la lista de la Marina el 5 de junio de 1946 El 23 de diciembre de 1947, fue vendida a Humble Oil & amp Refining Co., de Houston, Texas, y se convirtió para servicio comercial.

LST-24 ganó cinco estrellas de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

LST-25

El LST-25 fue depositado el 12 de octubre de 1942 en Wilmington, Delaware, por Dravo Corp, lanzado el 9 de marzo de 1943 patrocinado por la señorita Doily Hemphill, y encargado el 3 de mayo de 1943, al mando del teniente J. B. Holmes, USCG.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, LST-25 sirvió en los teatros de Europa y Asia-Pacífico y participó en las siguientes operaciones:

  • Invasión de Normandía-junio de 1944
  • Operación Okinawa Gunto:
    a) Asalto y ocupación de Okinawa Gunto, mayo de 1945
  • Servicio de ocupación naval, Asia-septiembre y octubre de 1945 y marzo de 1946
  • Servicio de China: octubre de 1945 y marzo de 1946

El LST-25 fue dado de baja el 2 de agosto de 1946 y fue eliminado de la lista de la Marina el 8 de octubre de 1946. El 31 de marzo de 1948, fue vendido a Kaiser Co., Inc. Seattle, Washington, para su desguace.

LST-25 ganó dos estrellas de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

LST-26

LST-26 was laid down on 16 November 1942 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 31 March 1943 sponsored by Mrs. Mathilda B. Coulter and commissioned on 7 June 1943.

During World War II, LST-26 served in the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operations:

  • Bismarck Archipelago operation:
    (a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain-December 1943 and January 1944
  • Hollandia operation-April and May 1944
  • Western New Guinea operations:
    (a) Toem-Wakde-Sarmi area operation-May 1944
    (b) Biak Island operation-May and June 1944
    (c) Noemfoor Island operation-July 1944
    (d) Cape Sansapor operation-July and August 1944
    (e) Morotai landings-September 1944
  • Leyte landings-October and November 1944
  • Consolidation of the southern Philippines:
    (a) Mindanao Island landings-March 1945

She saw service in China from 3 to 10 October 1945.

Following the war, LST-26 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 1 April 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946 and was sold to Arctic Circle Exploration, Seattle, Wash., on 17 June 1946 to be converted for merchant service.

LST-26 earned five battle stars for World War II service.

LST-27

LST-27 was laid down on 10 December 1942 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 27 April 1943 sponsored by Mrs. R. R. Creed and commissioned on 25 June 1943.

During World War II, LST-27 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:

LST-27 was decommissioned on 9 November 1945 and was struck from the Navy list on 28 November 1945. On 15 December 1947, she was sold to the Rhode Island Navigation Co., of Newport, R.I., for scrapping.

LST-27 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-28

LST-28 was laid down on 8 December 1942 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 19 April 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Michael Torick and commissioned on 19 June 1943.

During World War II, LST-28 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:

LST-28 was decommissioned on 16 August 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 29 October 1946. On 19 May 1948, she was sold to George H. Nutman, of Brooklyn, N.Y., for scrapping.

LST-28 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST-29

LST-29 was laid down on 8 January 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 17 May 1943, sponsored by Mrs. C. F. Lockton and commissioned on 10 July 1943.

During World War II, LST-29 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

  • Gilbert Islands operation-November and December 1943
  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
    (b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February and March 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Guam-July and August 1944
  • Okinawa Gunto operation:
    (a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto -May 1945

LST-29 was decommissioned on 11 March 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946. On 17 June 1946, she was sold to the Foss Launch & Tug Co., of Seattle, Wash.

LST-29 earned four battle stars for World War II service.

LST-30

LST-30 was laid down on 12 January 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 3 May 1943, sponsored by Mrs. C. B. Jansen and commissioned on 3 July 1943.

During World War II, LST-30 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operation:

LST-30 was decommissioned on 6 March 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946. On 2 April 1947, she was sold to W. Horace Williams Co., of New Orleans, La., and was converted for merchant service.

LST-30 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-31

LST-31 was laid down on 2 February 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 5 June 1943 sponsored by Mrs. Maurice Endres and commissioned on 21 July 1943.

During World War II, LST-31 served in the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operations:

  • Gilbert Islands operation-November and December 1943
  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajulein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
    (b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February and March 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June through August 1944
  • Tinian capture and occupation-July and August 1944
  • Okinawa Gunto operation:
    (a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto -May 1945

Immediately following the war, LST-31 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 8 January 1946. On 1 July 1955 LST-31 was named Addison County after a county in Vermont. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 11 August 1955, and she was sunk as a target.

Addison County earned five battle stars for World War II service as LST-31.

LST-32

LST-32 was laid down on 17 February 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 22 May 1943, sponsored by Miss Dorothy M. Manko, and commissioned on 12 July 1943, Lt. Gardner P. Mulloy in command.

During World War II, LST-32 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:

LST-32 was decommissioned in July 1946. She was recommissioned on 7 March 1951. On 1 July 1955, LST-32 was assigned the name Alameda County after a county in California. She was reclassified Alameda County (AVB-1) on 28 August 1957, was decommissioned on 25 June 1962, and was struck from the Navy list that same month. On 20 November 1962, she was transferred to the Italian Navy

Alameda County earned two battle stars for World War II service as LST-32.

LST-33

LST-33 was laid down on 23 February 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. Launched on 21 June 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Paul J. Walsh, commissioned on 4 August 1943, and transferred to the Greek Navy on 18 August 1943, with which she served through the remainder of World War II. She was sold to the government of Greece in January 1947 and served there as Samos (L-179). She was struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947.

LST-34

LST-34 was laid down on 15 March 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., launched on 15 June 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Verne C. Cobb, and commissioned on 26 July 1943.

During World War II, LST-34 served in the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operations:

  • Gilbert Islands operation-November and December 1943
  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
    (b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February and March 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June 1944
  • Leyte landings-October and November 1944
  • Lingayen landings on Luzon-January 1945
  • Okinawa Gunto operation
    (a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto - May 1945

Following the war, LST-34 performed occupation duty in the Far East from March to November 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 15 November 1946 and transferred to Military Government, Ryukyus. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 23 December 1947. She ran aground in the Far East in January 1949, and her hulk was abandoned.

LST-34 earned six battle stars for World War II service.

LST-35

LST-35 was laid down on 20 March 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 30 June 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Samuel G. Cooper and transferred to the government of Greece on 18 August 1943 with which she served through the remainder of World War II. She was sold to the government of Greece in January 1947 and served there as Chios (L 195). Her name was struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947.

LST-36

LST-36 was laid down on 21 April 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 10 July 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Franklin Keen, and transferred to the government of Greece on 23 August 1943 with which she served through the remainder of World War II. She was sold to the government of Greece in January 1947 and served there as Lemnos (L-158). Her name was struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947.

LST-37

LST-S7 was laid down on 1 April 1943 at Pittsburgh Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 5 July 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Jack Domb, and transferred to the government of Greece on 18 August 1943. She ran aground off Bizerte, Tunisia, on 1 June 1944, and sank. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 12 August 1948.

LST-38

LST-38 was laid down on 14 April 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 27 July 1943 sponsored by Miss Bertha Karpinski and commissioned on 3 September 1943.

During World War II, LST-38 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

  • Marshall Islands operation
    (a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
  • Bismarck Archipelago operation:
    (a) Admiralty Islands landings-March and April 1944
  • Hollandia operation-April 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Guam-July 1944

Following the war, LST-38 was redesignated LSTH-38 on 15 September 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-November 1945.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 26 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 1 May 1946. On 5 December 1947, she was sold to the Ships and Power Equipment Co., of Barber, N.J., and subsequently scrapped.

LSTH-38 earned four battle stars for World War II service as LST-38.

LST-39

LST-39 was laid down on 23 April 1943 by the Dravo Corp. at Pittsburgh, Pa., Iaunched on 29 July 1943 sponsored by Mrs. L. A. Mertz, and commissioned on 8 September 1943. She was assigned to the Pacific area during World War II but saw no combat action. She sank in the summer of 1944, and she was struck from the Navy list on 18 July 1944. She was later refloated, converted to a spare parts issue barge, and redesignated YF-1079. She served the Navy in that capacity until sometime between July 1945 and January 1946, by which time YF-1079 disappeared from the Navy list.

LST-40

LST-40 was laid down on 3 June 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., launched on 7 August 1943 sponsored by Miss Hilda Sambolt, and commissioned on 15 September 1943.

During World War II, LST-40 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

  • Consolidation of the Solomon Islands:
    (a) Consolidation of southern Solomons- June 1943
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and August 1944
  • Tinian capture and occupation-July 1944
  • Okinawa Gunto operation:
    (a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto -May 1945

Following the war, LST-40 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 18 February 1946. In February 1947, she was transferred to the United States Military Government Korea, as a sale, and was struck from the Navy list on 5 March that same year.

LST-40 earned four battle stars for World War II service.

LST-41

LST-41 was laid down on 24 May 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 17 August 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Mary Spisak and commissioned on 24 September 1943, Lt. W. B. Dundon, USNR, in command.

During World War II, LST-41 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
  • Hollandia operation-April 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Guam-July 1944
  • Western Caroline Islands operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944
  • Luzon operation:
    (a) Lingayen Gulf landing-January 1945

Following the war, LST-41 was redesignated LSTH-41 on 15 September 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East until late November 1945.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 25 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 8 October 1947, she was sold to J. C. Berkwit & Co., of New York City, N.Y.

LSTH-41 earned five battle stars for World War II service as LST-41.

LST-42

LST-42 was laid down on 17 June 1943 at Pittsburgh Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 17 August 1943 sponsored by Mrs. F. M. Leslie, and commissioned on 30 September 1943, Lt. Roy L. Guy in command.

During World War II, LST-42 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
    (b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February and March 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and July 1944
  • Tinian capture and occupation July 1944
  • Western Caroline Islands operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944
  • Iwo Jima operation:
    (a) Assault and occupation of Iwo Jima- February and March 1945

Following the war, LST-42 was redesignated LSTH-42 on 15 September 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East and service in China until early April 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 26 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September 1946. On 26 March 1948 she was sold to the Kaiser Co., Inc., of Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.

LSTH-42 earned five battle stars for World War II service as LST-42.

LST-43

LST-43 was laid down on 19 June 1943 at Philadelphla, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 28 August 1943 sponsored by Mrs. C. A. Hill and commissioned on 6 October 1943. She was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater during World War II and participated In the occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls from 31 January to 8 February 1944. On 21 May 1944, she was lost through an accident. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 18 July 1944. She was raised but deemed beyond economical repair and was subsequently sunk by torpedoes in 1945.

LST-43 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-44

LST-44 was laid down on 7 July 1943 at Pittsburgh Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 11 September 1943 sponsored by Mrs. F. E. Haeberle, and commissioned on 22 October 1943.

During World War II, LST-44 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. Following the war she performed occupation duty in the Far East anl sernce in China until mid-February 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 20 February 1946. In 1947, she was transferred to the United States Army and was destroyed on 23 July 1947, cannibalized and scrapped. On 28 August 1947, her name was struck from the Navy list.

LST-44 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST-45

LST-45 was laid down on 27 June 1943 at Pittsburgh Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 31 August 1943 sponsored by Miss Lois C. Donnelly and commissioned on 15 October 1943.

During World War II, LST-45 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operations:

  • Marshall Islands operation:
    (a) Occupation of Kwajelein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
  • Marianas operation:
    (a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June through August 1944
    (b) Tinian capture and occupation-July and August 1944
  • Okinawa assault-March through June 1945

Following the war, LST-45 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late October 1945. Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 30 November 1948 and struck from the Navy list on 22 December that same year. On 25 February 1949, she was sold to the Foss Launch & Tug Co., of Seattle, Wash.

LST-45 earned four battle stars for World War II service.

LST-46

LST-46 was laid down on 20 July 1943 at Pittsburgh Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 16 September 1943, sponsored by Mrs. J. J. Edson, Jr. and commissioned on 3 November 1943.

During World War II, she was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was later transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater where she took part in the Okinawa assault in June 1945. Following the war, LST-46 performed occupation duty in the Far East and service in China until midMay 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 6 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 13 February 1948, she was sold to Bosey, Philippines, and resold to T. Y. Fong on the same date.

LST-46 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-47

LST-47 was laid down on 30 July 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 24 September 1943 sponsored by by Mrs. Clarence H. Vant, and commissioned on 8 November 1943.

The tank landing ship was initially assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was later transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater of operations where she took part in the Okinawa assault between 26 and 30 June 1945. Following the war, LST-47 performed occupation duty in the Far East in the fall and winter of 1945 and early January 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 11 January 1946 and transferred to the United States Army the same day. She was assigned to the Military Sea Transportation Service on 31 March 1952 and redesignated USNS LST-47. USNS LST-47 was transferred to the Philippine Navy on 13 September 1976.

LST-47 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-48

LST-48 was laid down on 8 August 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 2 October 1942 sponsored by Mrs. A. E. Stacey and commissioned on 16 November 1943.

The tank landing ship was initially assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion between 6 and 25 June 1944 and the invasion of southern France between 15 August and 25 September 1944. She was later transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater of operations where she took part in the Okinawa assault between 30 May and 10 June 1945. Following the war, LST-48 performed occupation duty in the Far East during the winter of 1945 and 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 8 February 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 5 December 1947. On 27 May 1948 she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethiehem, Pa., and subsequently scrapped.

LST-48 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-49

LST-49 was laid down on 17 August 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp. launched on 9 October 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Kathryn Saban and commissioned on 20 November 1943.

The tank landing ship was initially assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion between 6 and 25 June 1944 and the invasion of southern France between 15 August and 25 September 1944. She was later transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater of operations where she took part in the Okinawa assault between 8 and 30 June 1945. Following the war, LST-49 performed occupation duty in the Far East and service in China until mid-March 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 11 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946. She was sold to Bosey Philippines, on 4 December 1947.

LST-49 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST-50

LST-50 was laid down on 29 August 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp., Iaunched on 16 October 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Tito Tarquinio and commissioned on 27 November 1943.

The tank landing ship was initially assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion between 6 and 25 June 1944 and the invasion of southern France between 15 August and 25 September 1944. She was later transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater of operations where she took part in the Okinawa assault between 18 and 30 June 1945. Following the war, LST-50 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 6 February 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 8 September 1952. On 14 November 1952, she was redesignated ARB-13 and transferred to Norway as Ellida (A-534). She was returned to the United States on 1 July 1960 but was retransferred to Greece on 16 September 1960, and served with the Greek Navy as Sakipia (A-329).


Welcome to Addison County Vermont Historia y genealogía

Nuestro objetivo es ayudarlo a rastrear a sus antepasados ​​a través del tiempo transcribiendo datos genealógicos e históricos y colocándolos en línea para el uso gratuito de todos los investigadores.

WE REGRET THAT WE ARE UNABLE TO DO PERSONAL RESEARCH FOR YOU.

We're looking for folks who share our dedication to putting data online and are interested in helping this project be successful. If you are interested in joining our group, view our Volunteer Page for further information and then contact Nancy Piper .

If you are not interested in becoming a host, but do have information to add to our website, email me, Nancy Piper . I will be happy to help your obituaries, news items and other historical data find its new home here at Vermont Trails History and Genealogy.

Past Updates Recent Updates
Diciembre de 2020
Biography: Bennett S. Brown

Septiembre de 2020
Death Notice: Mrs. Harriot Eliza Hawley, Elijah Tyler
News-Fires: Patrick Burgin's Barn Destroyed by Fire

1790 Addison Twp Federal Census - Sorted by Head of Household - Contributed by Jo Ann Scott

1790 Federal Census - Entire Census - Transcribed by Linda Natale HISTORIA

Swift's 1859 History Chapter II: County Seats, County Buildings, Courts, Changes of the Judiciary MILITARY

Addison County Military Casualties (WWII Army, Vietnam and Korean war casualties) - Contributed by Tammy Clark


Addison County, Vermont

Addison County is a county located in the state of Vermont. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 36,821. Its shire town is Middlebury.

Etymology - Origin of Addison County Name

The History of Addison County by H.P. Smith, 1886, D. Mason and Co. states that Addison County ". was named in honor of Joseph Addison, the English author. " The Addison family continues to thrive in England and has written us with the information that Joseph lived from 1672 to 1719 and left these words for us: Happiness is something to do, something to love, something to hope for! Addison is buried in Westminster Abby.

Demografía:

Addison County History

Addison County was organized 18 Oct 1785 from Rutland County.
County Seat: Middlebury

In 1609, the French explorer Samuel de Champlain entered the 136-mile lake that would bear his name. Before the end of 17th century, a small stone fort was built at Chimney Point near what is now West Addison on Lake Champlain. It was the first settlement in Vermont. The fort was occupied by the French and then the British. During the Revolutionary War, Lake Champlain was the scene of bitter battles and those living in the area were captured or driven away. One such event happened in May of 1775 Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys, along with Benedict Arnold rowed across the Lake to captured Fort Ticonderoga from the British.

Iroquois settled in the county before European arrived in 1609. French settlers in Crown Point, New York extended their settlements across Lake Champlain. A few individuals or families came up the lake from Canada and established themselves at Chimney Point in 1730. In 1731, at Cross Point Fort Frederic was erected. In the year 1759, General Amherst occupied Cross Point and British settler's settlers came in. The Battle of Bennington in Bennington, fought on August 16, 1777, brought a turning point for the American independence against British.

Finally, in 1783, peace was declared, settlers began to return and new communities were formed. Addison County was established on October 18, 1795 and encompassed most of the lands in northwestern Vermont bounded by Lake Champlain.

This county was established by act of the Legislature October 18, 1785 at the period of Vermont Republic. In 1791, Vermont joined the federal union after the original thirteen colonies. When Vermont was admitted to the Union in 1791, the size of the County was reduced to its present area with a population of about 6,400 settlers.

Geografía: tierra y agua

As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 808 square miles (2,093 km 2 ), of which, 770 square miles (1,995 km 2 ) of it is land and 38 square miles (99 km 2 ) of it (4.72%) is water. The primary stream of the county is Otter Creek, which runs through the county from the south to the north.

Neighboring Counties

Bordering counties are as follows:

  • Chittenden County, Vermont - north
  • Washington County, Vermont - northeast
  • Orange County, Vermont - east
  • Windsor County, Vermont - southeast
  • Rutland County, Vermont - south
  • Washington County, New York - southwest
  • Essex County, New York - west

Educación

Addison County has the following high schools:

Vergennes Union High School in Vergennes
Mt. Abe Union High School in Bristol
Middlebury Union High School in Middlebury
Middlebury Union Middle School in Middlebury

Addison County is also home to two institutions of higher learning, Middlebury College and the Community College of Vermont, both located in Middlebury


Bridport Genealogy (in Addison County, VT)

NOTE: Additional records that apply to Bridport are also found through the Addison County and Vermont pages.

Bridport Birth Records

Bridport Cemetery Records

Bridport Census Records

Federal Census of 1940, Bridport, Vermont LDS Genealogy

United States Federal Census, 1790-1940 Family Search

Bridport Church Records

Bridport Death Records

Bridport Immigration Records

Bridport Land Records

Bridport Marriage Records

Bridport Newspapers and Obituaries

Bridport Sun 1901-1915 Newspapers.com

Bridport Probate Records

Vermont, Addison County and District Probate Files, 1845-1915 Family Search

Additions or corrections to this page? We welcome your suggestions through our Contact Us page


Addison

Like the Indians before them, the first white settlers made their homes near rivers and groves of native timber that gave them the fuel and water needed for survival. The first pioneers in what is now Addison Township were Hezekiah Dunklee (also spelled Duncklee) from Hillsborough, New Hampshire, and Mason Smith from Potsdam, New York. They arrived in Chicago September 3, 1833, having traveled by land from Detroit. They left Chicago five days later, and following a northwest trail made the year before by General Winfield Scott’s army through twenty miles of flat, grassy marshland and prairie, they came to a large grove of trees located on the eastern bank of a river, which later became known as Salt Creek. After surveying the land to the west of the river, they returned to the north end of the grove.

On May 25, 1834, Bernhard Joachim Koehler and his family settled east of Dunklee’s Grove on the present site of the River Forest Country Club. On that same day the Friedrich Graues settled south of the grove. These two families were the first of a large German influx during the next few years. Others to follow were the Stuenkels, the Krages, the Roter­munds, the Kruses, the Fienes, and the Buchholzes.

Most of the necessities of life were produced on the farms, but often the pioneers had to travel to Chicago to buy other provisions. With no roads through the prairie, travel was difficult. Many walked the eighteen miles to Chicago.The Des Plaines River flooded after heavy rains, and at those times such travel was impossible. Wells were dug by hand, often to a depth of thirty or forty feet, and a windmill was built to pump the water. If there was not enough wind, pumping was done by hand.

In 1839 Dunklee’s Grove became part of Washington Precinct. When township organization was adopted in 1849, Washington Precinct became known as Addison Township.

Desde el 1874 Atlas & History of DuPage County, Illinois.

After the first pioneers settled, other friends and relatives came to claim lands. In 1837 there were thirty families living in the Dunklee’s Grove area. By 1844 there were 200 people living in the vicinity. Gradually businesses were established, such as a steam grist mill, a general store, a cobbler’s shop and a blacksmith shop. In 1867 the Heidemann Mill was constructed in Addison to serve the residents who had been taking their grain to surrounding communities to be ground.

By 1853 state laws enabled school districts to be formed, and District 4 came into being with the building of its first public school in 1858. Peter Nikel was the teacher. The building was located on the southwest corner of Addison and Army Trail roads. Today it is part of the Edward Green home. The German population of Addison Township formed a church in 1838 which was called the German United Reformed Lutheran Congregation of Dunklee’s Grove. In 1849 the first church school building was erected in Addison, near the corner of Army Trail Road and May Street.

In 1864 the Evangelical Lutheran Teachers’ Seminary was built in Addison to train teachers for the Lutheran school system. Their lecture hall, which opened in 1885, included a chapel, and it was here that the residents of Addison worshipped from 1893-1906. In 1906 the Lutheran congregation built the St. Paul Church along Army Trail Road near Lake Street.

In 1874 the Evangelical Lutheran Orphan Home was built to “raise, train, and educate orphans, half orphans and other children entrusted to its care.” All children from the Orphan Home who were of school age went to St. Paul’s Christian Day School. After graduation from the eighth grade, the girls would remain in the Home for work and future training. The boys were placed on farms, truck farms or in greenhouses to work.

In 1884 the village of Addison became incorporated. The population at the time was 400. The first president was Henry Buchholz, who served in that position from 1884 to 1891. In 1890 five Addison men formed the Addison Railroad Company, Inc. These were William Leeseberg, Louis Stuenkel, Edward Rotermund, Professor Johann Backhaus, and H. Z. Zuttermeister. Stock capital amounted to $5,000. A charter was issued on July 16, 1890, for the right to a stretch of land from today’s North Avenue into Addison to build a railroad track. In agreement was made with the Illinois Central Railroad officials to provide the railroad bed and equipment and to maintain and operate the railroad for fifty years from that date. The cost of the whole right-of-way was $16,488.90. The first train came to Addison for the Orphan Home Picnic on September 12, 1890.

Illinois Central Train in Addison on “Orphan Home Festival Day.” Courtesy Historical Museum of Addison.

Telephone service became available in 1895. Addison’s first bank, the Addison State Bank, opened in 1902. In 1912 the Public Service Company of Northern Illinois brought in light and power lines. Electric street lights burned in Addison for the first time on February 1 That same year the Western United Gas and Electric Company brought gas lines into the area.

In 1913 the Lutheran Teachers’ Seminary moved out of Addison to River Forest, where it is now known as Concordia College. The Seminary had been a vital part of Addison’s history for almost fifty years. The Seminary buildings were purchased by the Chicago City Mission Society as a home for dependent children who had had little opportunity for moral, mental or physical development. The children, who were referred by the juvenile courts, were moved from Chicago to Addison in 1916. This became known as the Addison Manual Training School for Boys and the Industrial School for Girls, known generally as the Kinderheim.

Illustrations by Vivian Krentz. Graphics by Ron Carringi.

Street improvements began in the late 19th century. During the 1920s roadways were improved and the automobile made its appearance. The former muddy roads and dusty trails gave way to gravel and concrete roads, and the population patterns began changing. With better routes and the railroad, people were building their homes along the roads.

Two lanes of Lake Street were paved in 1922. A narrow gauge railroad was built along Lake Street to the quarry in Elmhurst to bring gravel and cement to the site. When the roadwork was completed, these tracks were removed. Because of the desire to thoroughly modernize the town, a water system was installed in 1924.

Also, by 1924 the Kinderheim had outgrown the structures which had housed the Seminary, and the building was torn down to make room for a new two-story brick building to house the young people of Kinderheim. This was completed in 1925. Today that structure serves as the municipal building and houses the police department.

Plass Garage. Arthur Krage, George Rathje, George Plass, Warren Web stand before the Ford Agency in 1925. Courtesy Historical Museum of Addison.

Increased traffic along Lake Street prompted the widening of the road in 1930 to forty feet all the way from Cook County line to Ontario­ville, a distance of 12’h miles, and the constructing of a three-span bridge over Salt Creek at Lake Street. Addison was served by the Marigold Bus Line, which came from Chicago every hour on the hour. It followed the same route that had been used in 1837 by the Frink and Walker Line on its way toward Galena, these stage coaches having stopped for a change of horses in Addison.

During the 1930s Addison, as well as the rest of the country, was plunged into the Great Depression. In Addison the bank was forced to close, although in 1933 enough money was raised (between $8,000 and $9,000) to meet legal requirements, and the bank was again able to open for business. The residents of Addison were able to weather the lean years by raising food for their tables, and by taking any job, no matter how small the pay.

The years of World War II brought prosperity once again to the community. Again the men of Addison served proudly in all the services. There were 86 of them in the war. Miraculously, all of them returned safely. Among the Addison residents who had been taken prisoner were Lester Rotermund in Germany, and William Stuenkel in Italy. There were two casualties among those who came from the area outside of Addison: Wilbur Backhaus, who was killed in the Battle of the Bulge and Ernst Ellerbruch who was killed in Sicily.

When World War II ended and the servicemen began returning from overseas, a housing shortage developed. The “G. I. Bill” gave young families the opportunity to purchase homes, and the “baby boom” of the post-war years brought many new residents to Chicago’s suburbs. The population in 1950 was 823. By 1963 it had reached 13,272. Generating a marked increase in village revenue, this growth affected the construction industry and also created additional demands for village services. Schools were soon unable to accommodate the large number of young children, and population projections indicated a need for future expansion of the school system.

School District 4 constructed a building in a second location in 1957, and in that same year St. Joseph Catholic Parish also opened a grade school. From that date, when Fullerton School was built, until 1972 the number increased to nine public grade schools and one junior high school.

In 1965 a second Catholic grade school, St. Philip the Apostle, was built. In 1966 there were two secondary schools built, Addison Trail High School and Driscoll Catholic High School.

Additional religious facilities were added to serve the increased population. Originally most of the residents had been German Lutherans, and the few Catholic families attended church in Elmhurst. As the number of families increased, so did the diversity of faiths. Between 1954 and 1965 there were seven churches of different denominations built.

The “G. I. Bill” was also used by many of the returning servicemen after World War II. Addison established an industrial park with a railroad line that ran into the area. Highways were being improved, and the short distance from O’Hare Airport was an attraction to many manufacturers who built in the park. These additional plants, in turn, brought more people to Addison to live. Many of the farmers surrounding Addison began to sell their farms as property values rose and their taxes increased accordingly.

Prior to 1950 there were few parks and playgrounds in Addison however, as developers subdivided the land, they were encouraged by village officials to set aside areas in each subdivision to be used as parks. In 1958 the Central Park Committee was formed. This was a volunteer group of homeowners who helped establish and maintain parks. The Addison Recreation Club, another volunteer group, began working with Addison’s youth in the early 1950s. In 1965 Addison voters approved a referendum to establish a park district, which now owns over 200 acres of land at eighteen sites and offers activities for residents of all ages, from tots to senior citizens.

In 1962 a public library was established in the municipal building. In 1968 a new building was constructed along Lake Street at Kennedy Drive to house the Addison Public Library.

The banking industry also grew along with the population. Before 1950 the Addison State Bank was the only bank in Addison. As population and businesses increased, the need for additional financial services brought the opening of six other banks or saving and loan associations to the village.

The building industry that began flourishing after World War II concentrated on single-family homes in Addison. More recently developers have obtained permits to build multiple family homes, apartments, townhouses and condominiums. Decreasing availability of land and rising construction costs have contributed to this trend. Today shopping centers have replaced the earlier “general stores.” Shops and restaurants have opened specializing in ethnic goods for an increasingly diverse population.

Also, the schools, with an increased enrollment of children from families new to this country, have had to include bilingual courses in their curriculum. High technology advances have caused many services and business establishments to turn to computers and new training programs for their personnel. Addison’s special education organization, the Ray Graham Association, its Lutherbrook (successor to the Evangelical Lutheran Orphan Home), its assistance programs through the Community Switchboard, its support for cultural growth through the arts programs are all a part of Addison’s response to varying needs.

To summarize, during the past 150 years Addison has grown from a few hardy settlers planting their crops to a town of 30,000 citizens engaged in a multitude of occupations. The quiet hamlet where everyone knew everyone else has given place to a suburb bustling with activity. Today, as it has been throughout its history, Addison is a caring community.

Pearl Morris and Vivian Krentz are co-authors of AddisonVillage of Friendship, the community’s centennial book.


Ver el vídeo: Addison Rae